Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been told that:

An isomorphism of rings is a surjective and injective ring homomorphism.

Also:

A ring homomorphism is injective  \Leftrightarrow ker(\phi) = 0

where Phi is a homomorphism of rings.

from this can I take that is  ker(\phi) = 0 the rings are isomorphic??

Or to put it another way, we know if the rings are homomorphic, and injective, then  ker(\phi) = 0 , and we know that an isomorphism of rings is achieved as stated above, so have I assumed all homomorphisms are surjective?? If so, is this true or not??

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't right - you need to have surjectivity as well as injectivity to have an isomorphism.

As an example, consider the map \phi : \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}^2 defined by \phi(n)=(n,0). Clearly \phi is a homomorphism, and the kernel is trivial. But also it should be clear that these two rings aren't isomorphic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark13)
    This isn't right - you need to have surjectivity as well as injectivity to have an isomorphism.

As an example, consider the map \phi : \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}^2 defined by \phi(n)=(n,0). Clearly \phi is a homomorphism, and the kernel is trivial. But also it should be clear that these two rings aren't isomorphic.
    I see, so I clearly have assumed all homomorphisms are surjective, which by your example above is shown to be incorrect

Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.