Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend disagrees with controversial issues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let her bloodhounds out on a motorway while she's asleep, and steal money from her to donate to windfarms. She won't suspect a thing and you'll feel much better

ReputationRep:
    Drop her off in a windfarm field and set a pack of greyhounds on her. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GwrxVurfer)
    Well if you like arguing, then that's fine. I prefer mature debate, but it's up to you what you do in your life.

To me, the situation makes perfect sense: If me and a girlfriend followed your example and hardly talked to each other simply because we didn't completely agree on subjects, I believe the relationship would fall apart rapidly.
    mate.... seriously :/

people don't have controlled "debates", not over things they feel strongly about, and especially not with women, because they normally always resort to "i'm louder so i'm winning" mentality

I don't know where you got hardly talked to each other from, but i was merely saying i prefer to shoot the breeze with women than talk about politics.

the way i see it is, If you disagree strongly on something i don't see why you would willingly get into an argument over it if you liked the girl :dontknow: but the only thing people really feel that strongly about is politics or religion, everything else is just meh, people don't really care and so will talk about it because even if they disagree they don't feel particularly strongly about it.

for example if you were going out with an animal rights activist, and you yourself were a supporter of hunting and animal testing etc... why would you try and talk about animal rights, because you know it would lead to an argument that wouldn't go anywhere and would just make you both angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Fox hunting was brought in for a reason. Foxes are a pest and they're moving into the towns. You don't see people campaigning against the use of pesticides on insects.
    I don't have a problem with foxes being culled by gunshot, just with the joy in hunting them for hours. Shooting foxes is a far more quick and effective means of getting their numbers down. I come from a farming family and strongly believe this. Your analogy with the insect pesticides does not hold as the death of the insects is almost instantaneous and is not a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GwrxVurfer)
    I'm not your mate, stop trying internet psychology 101 to win people over to your failed argument.
    Ah I see, so in your opinion women are less able to have controlled debates.
    Because if we follow YOUR proposal of not talking about things that you disagree about (politics for instance), you would have to stop talking about football, cars, computers, jobs, the weather, celebrity news - Because you are just as likely to end up in an argument over football than you are over politics.
    Fine - Boyfriend strongly supports Rangers, girlfriend strongly supports Celtic. If they follow your logic, they can never talk about football again, because you don't want them to risk "getting into an argument over" something they disagree strongly about.
    First of all, you're assuming we would still stay together once we found out about each other's beliefs. It's a pretty big thing, I'm not sure that you could just assume they would stay together. But let's, for the sake of argument, assume they do. Animal rights would obviously be one of the things I'd want to talk about with my girlfriend, because I would like to understand her stance, why she feels the way she does. Most people are able to remain rational in debate, but you've given the impression that you are not able to do so.
    ...... mate

i no longer want to satiate your argument lust so this will be my last post.

You seem completely unable to grasp that people have different levels of emotion for different subjects. In fact it feels like i'm talking to someone who's never left the house, and as such will never be able to grasp what it is i am saying.

just to clarify i'm not talking about just understanding your significant others views, but when you try and dispute and question these views, that's when the **** hits the fan.

either way, i am now bored, so...

http://www.determinismsucks.net/arch...8022981192.gif

ReputationRep:
    I know how it is. My ex once said he likes David Cameron.

He went on to say he wants nothing to do with people who live in council estates. I kind of thought he was joking. But looking back I'm not as sure.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend have very conflicting views but it doesn't cause any problems. We just accept that we don't agree on certain things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    There's a difference between "I would" and "I would start a relationship with her" :fluffy:
    I would both

There's nothing wrong with fox hunting.

The problem is, whilst I'm quite open to debate, she doesn't seem to be the sort of person who would really want to listen to the other side of the argument.

Secondly, might I add that whilst I am fine with the idea of keeping fox numbers down as part of pest control, I am not comfortable with the idea of deriving pleasure from doing so. I have always thought it says a hell of a lot about the person who enjoys causing suffering to animals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.