Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boss has set me up - please I need advice! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I work in a well known coffee place and was delighted when I got the job because I had been looking unsuccessfully for a few months- so I put everything I had into it- and I know it sounds silly because it's only coffee etc- but making the drinks and learning all the recipes can be harder than you'd think- so on my first week I booked off a certain amount of time because I was going to a wedding in Ireland- and in my first week, my boss made me cry by having a go at me for not knowing how to do things, or for not doing them properly when I was still learning.

SO I come back from the wedding and call up work to ask when my next shift is (thinking it's funny that they hadn't called to tell me like they normally do)- and I'm not working for the next 2 weeks because "I missed Thursday's shift"- so I'm given the bosses number and call her, and she doesn't say anything, so I explain that I didn't intentionally miss the shift and I didn't realise I was working on that day, because I had booked it off because I was travelling- to which she replies "it's ok, sometimes you forget" and so I said "I didn't forget, I had booked this time off and wasn't on the rota to work"- I swear she must have added this to the rota when I had left- because I have always been early to work and sometimes even worked longer than I'm supposed to, and I'm just not the kind of person to not go in- plus the rota is penned in and covered in tippex, so there is no way I could prove that I wasn't working that day.

My boss continues to be really patronising and just say "yeah yeah yeah" when I'm trying to explain myself.

Then she say's "call me at the end of the month to see when you're next working"- and I'm like, "so I'm not working for a few weeks then" and she said "I didn't think you were bothered because you didn't call up to ask when you were working on the rota"- I said "Yeah! Because I was in Ireland and didn't realise there was an issue"

I'm sorry this is so long winded but I seriously have no idea what to do- I'm pretty sure I've been set up here to look really bad, when in reality I always try my best and would never dream of doing anything like this.

I need the money as well- and spent ages memorising how to make the drinks, and practising whilst I was at home.

What shall I do? I'm thinking of going in tomorrow and speaking to her face to face. Please give me some advice- can she even keep me off the rota for so long when I'm meant to be full time anyway?!

Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Is any of the holiday/day off requests documented?

If its documented then its gonna be easy to sort it out, if its not documented then much harder..

ReputationRep:
    Can you shed some light on which coffee chain? If you still feel like you really want to do this job ask your area manager or someone higher up than your store manager if you can change branch. That way you still work for the same company, same recipes and payroll issues are minimal (no P45 etc...)
    However if there are no other branches near you I would give up on this one, unless you want to pursue a long, awkward battle with the top management of your chain which personally I would want to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03shisac)
    x
    I agree that going in and speaking to her face to face is a good idea.

She will have a record of time booked off somewhere, I know that my boss where I worked during my gap year just had a little book with all the booked time off written down in it, your boss might do the same, at the very least she will have a record of whats been boooked off.

If she does have it all written down somewhere then you will have proof that you booked the time off and that she made a mistake by giving you a shift when you were officially away.

Other than that I don't know what you could do, it sounds like you're in the same situation I was, your boss is crap and doesn't care what anybody else thinks as her opinion is the only one that matters in her eyes.

Good luck with getting this sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Is any of the holiday/day off requests documented?

If its documented then its gonna be easy to sort it out, if its not documented then much harder..
    AH good point- I don't think its documented at all to be honest. S**T!

(Original post by SummerAnthems)
    Can you shed some light on which coffee chain? If you still feel like you really want to do this job ask your area manager or someone higher up than your store manager if you can change branch. That way you still work for the same company, same recipes and payroll issues are minimal (no P45 etc...)
    However if there are no other branches near you I would give up on this one, unless you want to pursue a long, awkward battle with the top management of your chain which personally I would want to avoid.
    Starbucks- I don't even know who the area manager is, but it sounds much better than working for this schemer....

ReputationRep:
    That's odd. Did you book to be off work late?

ReputationRep:
    I booked it off as soon as I started work there because this wedding has been planned for about a year- so I booked it off 3 weeks in advance which isn't a lot- but thats when I started so.....

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    3 weeks early seems fine, depending on what contract says.

Meh, I've had real ******** bosses like that before but I put up with **** as the job was good and I worked hard to get it.

Do other people also think they're a ****? Talk to them for help, if they clearly think the same, it helps
    Everyone else calls her "crazy *insert name*"- but no one else would be outspoken enough to say anything. I seriously cannot believe this! - Thanks

And thank you mackemforever

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies you lovely TSRians

Keep coming with your opinions...more the merrier.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What a *****!! Go in, see what records she has.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if you love your job enough then put up with it? Otherwise keep at it until a new job comes a long, start searching already. Certainly talk to the boss about it though, reason and explain the situation. Bring out the contract also and tell her you did it within the time needed.

Edit: Could also change branches, relocate or work in simialr place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03shisac)
    AH good point- I don't think its documented at all to be honest. S**T!.
    I'd double check if its documented then?

If its not then i'd question them as to why? If you definitely told them they should of documented it, every retail place i've worked for has pretty much worked in the same way, they've made me fill out a form for holiday, then they've put it into their holiday tracker so no one can try anything tricky.

ReputationRep:
    I worked for a company once where I was barely given till training, the supervisor was trying very hard to sack me. Was mean *****, she wasn't Italian but got promoted only because she flirts. All the rest are Italian bosses in the firm. Anyways so I did overtime sometimes and covered people. Went on holiday when I didn't have work, got a call asking me whilst I was abroad, whether I can change sites when I come back to the UK.

The site was better as I didn't have to handle tills, before that supervisor would try sack me by monitoring my progress specifically on me all the bloody time, noone else but me. She was stern and strict, anyways so my boss changed to another Italian man who wasn't as soft. There was incredibly high staff turnover, people kept pulling sickies, heck even the supervisor there pulled sickies and claimed she was stressed, although her job tasks weren't much and someone else would help her out even with her work.

So the Italian boss was hated by workers a lot, they would talk about him, same with the old supervisor I had. That new boss at the new site though blamed things on me, such as overpaying me for lunch breaks, when I was new and didn't know my contract was different to others. Also he would threaten sacking me when talking 1 to 1 in private but maybe because I was the youngest, going I am not allowed to sit down ever, although noone was around at the time for me to work with and give myself something to do. I would sometimes work 7 days a week overtime, covering people and although he needed me as I was keen and hard working, wouldn't appreciate it so would expect me to figure out what he's thinking and whether I need to come in to work or not. One time I came in, was needed but he didn't say it to me...

Some bosses are aholes, the autocratic ones. The best thing is to talk to other coworkers and see how they cope, only the ones who won't snitch though
    Good point. I can't believe that people can be so nasty- and without being antagonised into it.
    On my second day, for some reason I couldn't steam the milk properly, so she stood behind me whilst I was trying to do it and muttering to me "you can't work here if you can't steam milk"- this was only about the third time I'd done it!- I think she wanted to sack me from the beginning, but I have no idea why!

It depends, if you love your job enough then put up with it? Otherwise keep at it until a new job comes a long, start searching already. Certainly talk to the boss about it though, reason and explain the situation. Bring out the contract also and tell her you did it within the time needed.

Edit: Could also change branches, relocate or work in simialr place?
    I think I will go around with my CV to other coffee shops, but it will look really bad if I say that I've only worked there for one month- but yeah, there's I'm not selling my soul to work there. Hopefully I can get something else.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I told her verbally and only recall her repeating it to me to confirm, but I don't know whether she wrote it down anywhere- I certainly didn't have to fill in any forms I shall ask if its written down anywhere when I go in tomorrow and speak to her.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, did you find someone to cover your shifts? Could be why she seems pissy.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thing. When I first got the job, I was told that you had a proper 2 week training- whereas I was thrown in at the deep end and given a booklet with all the recipes and told to learn them at home, which I did- and then when I was there I would practise how to make them properly with the guidance of the other staff. And this week and next I was supposed to be doing the proper training- so the fact that I'm not in there working- means that I'm obvs not being trained properly- surely I should be in there being trained?!- this is further insinuation that she doesn't want me working there at all if I'm not even going to get trained!

I never had shifts on my own anyway, I was always working with someone because I'm new- so no one had to "cover" me in that sense- and when I booked the time off, all she said was "ok"- so I didn't think I had to do anything!?

ReputationRep:
    This sort of thing happened to me.

I got a temp job over Christmas, and I was due to work a certain amount a week, but on the first day I started, the boss had a bity of a do at me saying that if she'd KNOWN I was a student, she wouldn't have hired me. I put all the times I was free on my application form, and I made it pianfully clear I was a student both on the form and in my interview, but she hated me after that.

After I left I found out she'd lost my application form and just guessed who I was when she hired me. Fun times

Anyway, OP I'd check to see if it was all officially written down and go form there she might be your boss, but there'll be people higher up who you'll be able to talk to about changing branch and what not

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.