Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Soo confused as to what to do with my life.... :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm soo confused to do with my life, it's gotten to the point where I'm really stressing about it!

I've applied for uni next year to do either a degree in Social Sciences, Psychology, Child and Youth Studies or Social Work. I still havn't heard back from any of them but my trouble is deciding on what career to follow. I absoloutley LOVE the show CSI and would love to do the type of job that they do on there (forensic Psychology) However, I've got no Highers in sciences or even standard grades. I'm thinking about the Social Work degree because I like to help people.

My main aim is to get a job that's closely related with the police (but not a police officer as I'm not physically fit enough to do that job!)

Has anoyone got any thoughts on what I should do? I'm really confused

ReputationRep:
    i knw exactly hw u feel , i want to b either a doctor or a lawyer since i cant obviously do both , no1 can tell u what to do since its ur life and at the end of the day u will b the one doing wutever job that u decide on , since u hv time till next year just do sm soul searching , and really ... i mean really think abt wut u want , the best way to do this is to imagine or live the feeling of being wutever you want to b either a psychologist or a social worker , and get the feeling of doing it nw , wutever makes you more happy........ just go 4 it . btw im going to start law school and do a course on international relations. im going to miss being a doctor but i believe that i'll b more better off being a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people don't know what they want to do career-wise. And it doesn't necessarily get any easier as you get older - I know plenty of middle-aged people who hate their job.

Years ago, it used to be the case that if you didn't know what else to do then going to univeristy and getting a degree, any degree, would at least help you get a good job (and give you more time to figure things out, hopefully). Some parents still believe that, but I don't think it's true anymore - being a graduate alone doesn't carry the same prestige now.

My advice is to get some work experience, do some internships, even volunteer. That's how you'll find out what really interests you and what doesn't. Then you can do a degree that's applicable and actually useful. Employers want staff who have a genuine interest in their area of work, not sheep who have just gone through the motions.

Real jobs aren't like they are on TV shows, don't get suckered into that fantasy. Trust me, I used to work in the health service and my ex was on the force, it's nothing like Holby City or CSI or whatever.

With fees going up and ELQs negating any chance of changing careers later on, don't waste your one chance of uni doing any old rubbish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.