Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for an MPhil in Nuclear Energy at Cambridge and have just been informed that the course director will be interviewing me over the telephone. The email said the questions will be about my current undergraduate studies in physics, thermodynamics, and materials science to establish how I would cope with the course content.

Has anyone done a phone interview and can give me some advice? Will the questions be more about theories than calculating answers (it seems like it would be awkward to sit on the phone in silence while I crunch numbers)?

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    heya, probably a bit late to give you any advice regarding the phone interview! but I just wanted to know how did it go and have u got admission into the MPhil Nuclear Energy course? Reason is cuz I'm thinking of applying for it next year and since it's a new course I don't have much information to go on. What undergraduate degree had you done, from which uni and what percentage did you get? I'm wanting to know so that I can understand what sort of academic profiles Cambridge are looking for. I'm currently doing my BEng in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Manchester. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I did end up getting accepted for the course!

I'm from the US, so I did my undergrad at USC in Los Angeles. I studied civil engineering with an emphasis on structural engineering and seismic design. We don't have percentages in here, but I do know my overall GPA was considered a first by Cambridge. Good luck next year if you decide to apply!

ReputationRep:
    oh sweet congrats. and thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hey, im applying to the course now for intake in 2012. Just wondering how are you finding the course so far? Do you think the Industry links are good for a job after graduation? What is the course content like? ty. Also what did they ask you in the phone interview ha! Since I might have one soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acabico)
    I did end up getting accepted for the course!

I'm from the US, so I did my undergrad at USC in Los Angeles. I studied civil engineering with an emphasis on structural engineering and seismic design. We don't have percentages in here, but I do know my overall GPA was considered a first by Cambridge. Good luck next year if you decide to apply!
    Hi acabico, congrats! So what was the interview like? Can you give some examples of what were being asked? Thanks a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.