The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Storthes hall acommodation 11/12

Anyone planning to stay here?

On the original application it said about if your a smoker/non smoker.

Is it possible to get a smokers room?
Reply 1
I'm planning on staying there.

And I have no idea, I don't see why they wouldn't have a smokers room.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
I don't think you can actually smoke inside. I think it's just so they maybe put some smokers together?
Reply 3
there is rooms/flats that you can smoke in x
Reply 4
They have specific smokers blocks of rooms, I had the oppurtunity to look round one when I went for an open day. They are identical to the other rooms..
Reply 5
i just did mine and requested i was a smoker all though i wanted the double bed, and en-suite ect but they only have smoking in 2/3 blocks and none are what i wanted :/ looks like time to quite smoking. excited to start in sept though :biggrin: has anyone else done their acommodation ?x
Original post by mmcginley1
i just did mine and requested i was a smoker all though i wanted the double bed, and en-suite ect but they only have smoking in 2/3 blocks and none are what i wanted :/ looks like time to quite smoking. excited to start in sept though :biggrin: has anyone else done their acommodation ?x

Just go and smoke outside! I'm in a non-smoking block, but there are smokers in it that got smoke outside!
Reply 7
When I stayed there we just did what we wanted really... I was in a non-smoking block but I smoked in my room.. no one cared
Reply 8
Heard that the fire alarms go off a hell of a lot in smokers area's from people smoking in their rooms :P is that true?

Going to halls this September :biggrin:
Reply 9
The fire alarms dont go off from smoking, definately not. They go off a lot when all us pissed students go burning a pan of beans at the end of the night :smile:
Reply 10
How has everybody paid their deposit? I emailed DIGS and asked them which payment method they'd like me to use and got a reply saying send them a cheque along with the licence agreement. I've got the money in cash (can easily put it into my bank account) and I have the licence agreement both ready to be sent off... I'm not too keen on sending £200 in the post though? How has everybody else done it?
Reply 11
If you send a cheque theres nothing to worry about. No one else would be able to cash it.
Reply 12
Original post by D@nnyB
If you send a cheque theres nothing to worry about. No one else would be able to cash it.

Does it work like that? I've never actually used a cheque before so don't know how they work ha! So if the cheque somehow gets lost/stolen, the money won't come out of my bank?
Reply 13
It can only be put into the account of the person you write on it, or proof of indentity is needed if someone tried to cash it. It won't be addressed to a person so theres no chance of identity fraud going on or owt.
Reply 14
Thanks dude :smile:
Hey I'm applying for Storthes in September. Hopefully will send mine off on Friday. I have to get a witness to witness the signing of the agreement.
They want a lot of money from us before we start, especially as we don't get our loans until September. Anyway does anyone know who the cheque is payable to?
Reply 16
Original post by James_Yid
Is it possible to get a smokers room?

There are designated smoking blocks.

However there are 2 points to note:

1. If there aren't enough smokers to fill an entire block you'll be put with non-smokers and the block will be designated as 'non-smoking'.
2. All bedrooms at Storthes Hall are fitted with smoke detectors. If you set these off by smoking or cover up smoke detectors you risk being fined. If you are in a smoking block you can smoke in the kitchen without any problems as the detectors in there are triggered by heat not smoke.
Reply 17
Normal smoking does not set off 'any' of the smoke alarms.. I know, I did it 1000's of times. Unless it's been changed since I was there.

They do go mad if you cover them (if they find it) or disconnect them. They know straight away if you've disconnected them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending