Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The gf and I have decided this is where we are going. Has anyone been and can you vouch for it? Any recomendations on what to do?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Tenerife is a great choice for a holiday at any time of then year. The island benefits from being located fairly close to the equator, meaning that temperatures rarely drop below 20 degrees c even in the height of winter. For this reason may Europeans choose the island to take a holiday during the winter. Naturally though, the whole island is busier and more lively (if this is our thing) during the summer. If you are looking for nightlife and a bit of a party, I would definitely recommend Playa de las Americas (and don't miss out on the huge lido that is located there). If you are looking for more of a 'chill out by the pool' holiday, I would look at Puerto de la Cruz in the north of the island.
    In terms of things to do - take a trip up Mount Teide. This still active volcano last erupted in 1909 and is the highest point in spain and the third tallest volcano in the world (standing at over 3700m). Taking a bus tour or the cable car up Teide is one of the best ways to see Tenerife and experience first hand what it is like on the banks of a volcano. If you like shopping, the whole island has some great clothes and gifts shops around every corner - but the selection offered in the islands capital, Santa Cruz, rivals any major city. One things worth remembering about Tenerife is that many of the beaches are covered in black or grey sand (due to the islands volcanic origins) which can actually be quite a nice and welcome change from the white beaches you would normally see whilst on holiday.
    Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday!

ReputationRep:
    Remember if you plan to go to the top of teide the temperatures will be more like freezing.

Its not a bad place, but is very much the malia kind of thing unless you plan to get into the volcano more :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnson)
    Tenerife is a great choice for a holiday at any time of then year. The island benefits from being located fairly close to the equator, meaning that temperatures rarely drop below 20 degrees c even in the height of winter. For this reason may Europeans choose the island to take a holiday during the winter. Naturally though, the whole island is busier and more lively (if this is our thing) during the summer. If you are looking for nightlife and a bit of a party, I would definitely recommend Playa de las Americas (and don't miss out on the huge lido that is located there). If you are looking for more of a 'chill out by the pool' holiday, I would look at Puerto de la Cruz in the north of the island.
    In terms of things to do - take a trip up Mount Teide. This still active volcano last erupted in 1909 and is the highest point in spain and the third tallest volcano in the world (standing at over 3700m). Taking a bus tour or the cable car up Teide is one of the best ways to see Tenerife and experience first hand what it is like on the banks of a volcano. If you like shopping, the whole island has some great clothes and gifts shops around every corner - but the selection offered in the islands capital, Santa Cruz, rivals any major city. One things worth remembering about Tenerife is that many of the beaches are covered in black or grey sand (due to the islands volcanic origins) which can actually be quite a nice and welcome change from the white beaches you would normally see whilst on holiday.
    Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    Remember if you plan to go to the top of teide the temperatures will be more like freezing.

Its not a bad place, but is very much the malia kind of thing unless you plan to get into the volcano more :p:
    Thanks for the advice we probz will go to the volcano

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    The gf and I have decided this is where we are going. Has anyone been and can you vouch for it? Any recomendations on what to do?
    whatever you do, go to the water-park! its meant to be the biggest in Europe and it is pretty immense if I do say so myself the rides are amazinggg - http://www.tenerifewaterpark.com/
    I don't really have much to say about the nightlife seeing as I was with my parents (and best friend) but it is meant to be quite lively down in playas de las americanos.
    the Zoo is pretty cool as well, at the north of the island, so quite a drive in a hired car
    also Mount Teide like someone else mentioned it pretty cool, unfortunately we only got half way up it (to where the cable car starts) as it was too windy and there were loads of rockfalls all over the place.
    have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Im staying in playa de americas so Im more excited now

ReputationRep:
    Playa de las americas was interesting. Every place was either a bar or a strip club, except for the odd spar here and there.

Nice places around the volcano. Though if you intend on spending time in places in the North dont expect the weather to always be as nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    Playa de las americas was interesting. Every place was either a bar or a strip club, except for the odd spar here and there.

Nice places around the volcano. Though if you intend on spending time in places in the North dont expect the weather to always be as nice.
    Girlfriend wont be happy haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.