Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Psyk)
    But opinions on that differ between countries and cultures. Sure, someone born and raised in Scotland would be accepted as Scottish, no matter what colour they are or where their parents were born. But if you married a British woman, moved to China and had children there, I doubt Chinese society would accept your child as Chinese. Maybe I'm wrong with that specific example (don't really know that much about Chinese society), but there are many countries where it would be like that.
    To me, that person would be Chinese. That might just be my opinion, but I see countries as areas of land, and if you're born within that land then you are that nationality. I'd say then that if a son of a typical white British couple was born in China then they're Chinese by nationality, just they're not the same race as the "typical" Chinese person.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    To me, that person would be Chinese. That might just be my opinion, but I see countries as areas of land, and if you're born within that land then you are that nationality. I'd say then that if a son of a typical white British couple was born in China then they're Chinese by nationality, just their not the same race as the "typical" Chinese person.
    I see it kind of like that too, but I think it also depends on some other things. I mean if someone happened to give birth while they're on holiday in China, and then went back the UK soon after, would it really make sense to consider that child Chinese? They wouldn't have grown up in China, or become part of Chinese society, they just happened to be born there.

It also comes down to self identity. Someone might have been born and raised in China but if they never integrate with the culture and identify with the country their parents then it wouldn't make sense to call them Chinese.

National identity is interesting. I know quite a few people who have interesting backgrounds.

A Japanese girl who spent most of her life in Germany, but isn't very good at speaking German, and is very much Japanese culturally.

A German guy who lived in Brazil and British boarding schools, with almost no hint of a German accent. He still considers himself German.

A girl from Hong Kong who is Chinese racially, but culturally far more British than Chinese. Her accent sounds English with a hint of American, and she speaks Cantonese like an English tourist. She didn't even think of Hong Kong as being part of China.

From when I lived there, the Afrikaans (white Dutch descendants) tended to refer to themselves as Afrikaans and the white British descendants tended to refer to themselves as African. I don't remember ever meeting an Afrikaaner who called themself African. However I have met the white British descendants who can SPEAK Afrikaans who call themselves African, because they aren't Afrikaans but can speak the language (like me).
    A lot of people I've met in England think I'm Afrikaans and don't seem to know there are also white British descendants who are different from the Afrikaans, so I think maybe that's where the confusion comes from- when they mistake white British descendants who call themselves African as Afrikaaners.
    There are millions of sub-divisions though, 'African' is an umbrella term. I come from the Zulu region

EDIT: I think I read the OP wrong :P I thought it was asking how they refer to themselves, not whether or not they are African. Yes, they are African... lol

(Original post by bestofyou)
    Yes, I think the majority of Afrikaners are of Dutch decent. Being white doesn't make you Afrikaan. E.g. british whites in SA aren't Afrikaan.

(Original post by bestofyou)
    But would the Afrikaners say the are South African or Dutch is what I'm wandering.
    I don't remember ever meeting an Afrikaaner in Africa who doesn't just call themselves Afrikaans, it's turned into it's own African subdivision I have heard them call themselves by what what region/country they're from (eg South African), but that's mostly in countries outside of Africa (such as here in England), because pretty much everyone who lives in Africa is African, it's an umbrella term. In South Africa they just say they're Afrikaans coz everyone knows what countries they're from. Like I said though, African is an umbrella term, Africa is a continent not a country. An Afrikaaner calling himself African in somewhere in Africa is like an English person calling himself European in somewhere in Europe, so they tend to only call themselves South African (or sometimes African) if they're outside Africa. From my experience anyway...

I think it's been pretty well explained already, but just to make sure:

I was born in South Africa and live in the US.

If anyone here in the US asks me, I say, "I'm from South Africa."
    Or, "I'm South African."

Buuuut, in South Africa, we say, "Us Afrikaaners."

People who refer to themselves as Afrikaaners and speak Afrikaans are essentially descendant from the Scottish, French, Dutch or German. The reason we never call ourselves French or Dutch though, is because that would be ignoring 300+ years of living on the continent of Africa. Thus, we are a group of our own. Afrikaaners.

The other whites (those originally from England) are called the "Englse," meaning the English. Mostly they're recognized by their accents or the fact that they don't speak Afrikaans (even though a lot of Englse actually do speak Afrikaans.)

These days, the Englse and Afrikaaners are mixed together and pretty hard to distinguish. Even so, they'll be able to tell you which they are.

So. Two groups. Englse. Afrikaaners. No Dutch. No Frenchmen.

And of course, out of our country, we are all "SOUTH African."

But not "African."
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.