Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a redundancy problem question to do as part of coursework but am a bit stuck as how to go about answering it. This is the question:

A magazine company announces that it will make about 25 of its employees redundant over the next few weeks as it is reorganising its business due to financial problems.

Paul, who has always worked at the Manchester office, immediately refuses to relocate to the Cardiff office and is dismissed without notice.

Rahul, who works on his projects manually is advised that after the reorganisation all work will be computerised. He has no knowledge of computers so decides to resign and claims a redundancy payment.

Ollie, whose contract states that she has to 'carry out any duties assigned to her' is offered employment in another office on the same pay. However, she resigns and claims a redundancy payment.

Advise Rahul and Ollie of their entitlement to a redundancy payment and advise Paul of any legal rights he might have.

Could Paul also claim redundancy pay or could he sue them for being dismissed without notice? I'm not sure about the other two, could someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming this is redundancy based on cessation of business per S139(1) ERA 1996 you will need to consider the relevance of the mobility clause.

Where employee can be redeployed they cant normally claim redundancy and refusal to move could be a breach of contract.

Look at Hightable v Horst and O'Brien v Associated Fire Arms.

You may also need to consider S141 (1) (b) and S146 re offer of suitable employment. Apply Meek v Allen or Co-op v Ruse.

Would then go on to consider whether the offer of an alternative job is unsuitable, i.e. change of location. Toucher v G Motors, Milton v East Dorset HA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slow learner)
    Assuming this is redundancy based on cessation of business per S139(1) ERA 1996 you will need to consider the relevance of the mobility clause.

Where employee can be redeployed they cant normally claim redundancy and refusal to move could be a breach of contract.

Look at Hightable v Horst and O'Brien v Associated Fire Arms.

You may also need to consider S141 (1) (b) and S146 re offer of suitable employment. Apply Meek v Allen or Co-op v Ruse.

Would then go on to consider whether the offer of an alternative job is unsuitable, i.e. change of location. Toucher v G Motors, Milton v East Dorset HA.
    but could paul not claim constructuve dismissal if the move is too far (over 25 miles I think), especially if it compromises his domestic duties? also, isn't it his right to receive notice leading to a case of wrongful dismissal.

additionally, the start of this problem states that 25 people are laid off, would this count as collective redundancy?

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the above help, I've managed to include most of it in my essay.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2011

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.