The Student Room Group

Rejecting a job you've already accepted

I've already signed a letter accepting a position with one company and have since received a better offer from another.

How do you write a letter to turn down a job that you've already accepted? Is it even legal?
Reply 1
Just say, "hey I don't want your **** job...yeah that's right, I played you like a fool"
Reply 2
Just write them a kind and grateful letter saying thankyou but sorry your circumstances have changed. Simples. :h:
Reply 3
Phone then and say "get my letter?......LOLJK....I don't want the stupid job". Hang up.

But seriously, just be honest and say regretfully, you've had a better offer. They could potentially be dicks about it as you've signed into a contract (?) but I'm guessing not....
You never know, they might make a counter offer.
Reply 5
Have you signed a legal contract yet?
Reply 6
Just don't turn up, they'll get the message.
Original post by bestofyou
Just say, "hey I don't want your **** job...yeah that's right, I played you like a fool"

Haha, yeah I should do that but unfortunately I know someone who works there already and they know that, and I don't want him to suffer any repercussions.

Delaney
Have you signed a legal contract yet?

I haven't actually signed a legal contract, no.
Reply 8
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
Haha, yeah I should do that but unfortunately I know someone who works there already and they know that, and I don't want him to suffer any repercussions.

I haven't actually signed a legal contract, no.

Then you're not obliged to start the job and the company aren't obliged to give you the job. Obviously I'd write them a nice letter, who knows they might think of you highly enough to give you a better offer.
Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
I've already signed a letter accepting a position with one company and have since received a better offer from another.

How do you write a letter to turn down a job that you've already accepted? Is it even legal?

Provided you haven't signed a contract it doesn't matter that you've otherwise 'accepted' a job. Most employers know that the people they are hoping to recruit are also looking for or waiting on results for other potential jobs, so letting them know another, more suitable, offer, has come up shouldn't be a surprise to them. Just be polite and professional - as if the other job falls through you might have to come crawling back, lol
Thank them for their offer but you have since received a better offer from another company so will not be taking up the post at their company. Simple as. If they really want you they might ring back and up the offer but otherwise that's it.
Reply 12
Original post by Oswy
Provided you haven't signed a contract it doesn't matter that you've otherwise 'accepted' a job. Most employers know that the people they are hoping to recruit are also looking for or waiting on results for other potential jobs, so letting them know another, more suitable, offer, has come up shouldn't be a surprise to them. Just be polite and professional - as if the other job falls through you might have to come crawling back, lol

Quick question, if you sign a contract and a few weeks into the job you get a better offer, how do you resign, can you resign? Basically, what's the procedure?
Reply 13
Original post by Sam89
Quick question, if you sign a contract and a few weeks into the job you get a better offer, how do you resign, can you resign? Basically, what's the procedure?

You can still resign, no problem, the only issue would be whether you'd get paid for every week you'd already worked - I'm not a law student so I dunno about that tbh.

As I say, most employers know this kind of thing can happen to them because plenty of people who have applied for their job have been applying for other jobs at the same time. They'll be disappointed but they should still be professional about it, you just have to write a polite letter resigning from the position and that's it. Normally you'd work a period of notice but if you can't do that then you can't and this might mean you get less pay than you'd expect - a law student could probably advise on that aspect.
Reply 14
Original post by Oswy
You can still resign, no problem, the only issue would be whether you'd get paid for every week you'd already worked - I'm not a law student so I dunno about that tbh.

As I say, most employers know this kind of thing can happen to them because plenty of people who have applied for their job have been applying for other jobs at the same time. They'll be disappointed but they should still be professional about it, you just have to write a polite letter resigning from the position and that's it. Normally you'd work a period of notice but if you can't do that then you can't and this might mean you get less pay than you'd expect - a law student could probably advise on that aspect.

Thanks =)
Its better to call than send a letter. They will be pretty annoyed either way, but if you call they will be less annoyed because they will respect that you decided to call instead of doing the cowerdly thing (sending an email). There is also a small chance of a counter offer....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending