Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are Americans so much more religious than Europeans? watch

ReputationRep:
    The main problem here is thinking of the US as a single entity. There's a world of difference between Californian cities and rural Alabama.

ReputationRep:
    The US is becoming less religious. You can't exactly expect it to keep up with the cultural changes in Britain given there are cultural differences that lead to those changes. Also, as above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    The main problem here is thinking of the US as a single entity. There's a world of difference between Californian cities and rural Alabama.
    We're speaking about the whole country in general, no that is not a problem. And even California is more religious than Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Because of their constitution.
    This was de-repped, when actually there could be some truth in it.

Yes, it was designed as a secular Constitution. However it was the first and still the only one to do so, so was bound to have mistakes involved (hence Amendments).

The biggest mistake, one that will not be rectified any time soon, is regarding tax breaks for all religious infrastructure. It has made religion free enterprize in America, which is why there are so many different Evangelical churches all over America.

Its this, coupled with the Enlightenment having taken place in Europe (not America, even though its Founding Fathers tried to bring it with them).

(Original post by john_john)
    I think you assume to much, or assume that Europe = Britain, France and Germany alone.
    As for this, the Neatherlands, Norway, Sweden, ext. are far less religious in comparison to those three you gave.

Its better to say Western Europe, instead of Europe in general.

ReputationRep:
    Combination of Puritan colonisation, nationalistic sentiment, isolated communities, and also the simple fact that because a lot of people live there there's going to be a lot more religious people and vocal religious people by statistics

ReputationRep:
    They've got no roots, no history as a country... religion gives them something to latch on to.

(Original post by Alpharius)
    The Czech Republic and Estonia are the most irreligious countries in Europe, and they tend to be considered 'Eastern'

ReputationRep:
    Technically, the bible belt of the US fits all the characteristics of a 3rd world nation. Low standards of education, poor life expectancy, high religiosity. So it shouldn't really be all that surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    The Czech Republic and Estonia are the most irreligious countries in Europe, and they tend to be considered 'Eastern'
    Yes, true, they are beakons of light in the east.

Yes, true, they are beakons of light in the east.
    I'd disagree, it's quite an even distribution, I'd definitely not say there's any East-West divide in terms or religiosity.

ReputationRep:
    europeans are snobby and probably think they are too cool for GOD?

ReputationRep:
    The Czech Republic is widely considered as Central Europe - i'd like to see you tell Czechs (and Poles for that matter) that they are Eastern-European ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    They've got no roots, no history as a country... religion gives them something to latch on to.
    Religion was the essence of their founding

(Original post by ukr-nffc)
    The Czech Republic is widely considered as Central Europe - i'd like to see you tell Czechs (and Poles for that matter) that they are Eastern-European ...
    Yes I'm quite aware of that, seeing as I happen to be Polish.

ReputationRep:
    The short answer is their culture is different. They have a different history.

I find it laughable how some atheists associate intellect with lack of religious-ness i.e if you're smart you don't believe in God. Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The EU has a higher GDP than America.... they aren't richer.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to assume that they are, but I'm not entirely convinced that Americans are more religious than Europeans. I think it perfectly possible that it's the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    The EU has a higher GDP than America.... they aren't richer.
    GDP per capita?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm quite aware of that, seeing as I happen to be Polish.
    very well, makes the mistake even more glaring then?

ReputationRep:
    This was de-repped, when actually there could be some truth in it.

Yes, it was designed as a secular Constitution. However it was the first and still the only one to do so, so was bound to have mistakes involved (hence Amendments).

The biggest mistake, one that will not be rectified any time soon, is regarding tax breaks for all religious infrastructure. It has made religion free enterprize in America, which is why there are so many different Evangelical churches all over America.

Its this, coupled with the Enlightenment having taken place in Europe (not America, even though its Founding Fathers tried to bring it with them).

As for this, the Neatherlands, Norway, Sweden, ext. are far less religious in comparison to those three you gave.

US is not a secular country, there is around five of them in the world and US is not. (France, Turkey, China, North Korea and another one I forget).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.