Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it completely essential? Can you just not do it and have a decreased grade? I have social anxiety disorder and am wishing I didn't apply for this, haha After my teacher spoke to me about it half an hour ago I've had three panic attacks She says we need 'as large an audience as possible because that leads to better presentations'. Hmm. I really want to give the whole thing up to be honest as I've done what I wanted to do for the experience (Spanish translation of my favourite poet). But the school have payed money to enter me or whatever so I'm worried I'd be hated.

Argh D: But yeah, any thoughts? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My college had too many people to show in presentations, so we have a 'fair' where everyone gets a little stall and people come and ask questions. People who missed the day did a mini presentation to the class. The exam board are fine with this, have a word with your teacher, or her boss, and see if you can do a smaller presentation. It's not fair to make you do it if you can't

ReputationRep:
    Or ask if you can film your presentation or something, then you wouldn't have to be there when they showed it?

ReputationRep:
    I only gave my presentation to two teachers: a large audience is not definitely not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I think I'm going to have a word with my teacher somehow to see if a smaller audience is possible/ask what she thinks about not going it at all. The filming idea is a good one... it would scare me more though if I'm honest :b Good luck with your exams etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *snowflake*)
    Thanks I think I'm going to have a word with my teacher somehow to see if a smaller audience is possible/ask what she thinks about not going it at all. The filming idea is a good one... it would scare me more though if I'm honest :b Good luck with your exams etc!
    Haha yeah I thought that after I'd posted it. The sound of my own voice playing back creeps me out too. Hope the presentation goes well!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Haha yeah I thought that after I'd posted it. The sound of my own voice playing back creeps me out too. Hope the presentation goes well!!
    Haha Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I hated the thought of doing a presentation for my EPQ and I was only going to do it in front of 3 friends and my supervisor, but I ended up doing it in front of her form so there were 28 people i was doing my presentation too. It's probably not as bad as you think, because you're talking about something that you enjoy and you're experiences with it.

I found that doing it in front of nearly 30 people I didn't know actually helped me because I didnt care as much if I messed up because I'd probably never speak to them again but I also had one or two friends come and watch which also helped because if i felt like focusing on someone it didn't feel weird and it really did help

Hope you're presentation goes well good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you tell her you have social anxiety disorder, she should definitely let you do an alternative option.
    I cringe at the thought of doing a presentation to a large audience.
    Damn presentations... :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem as you right now whats worse i dont know no one in the class, and I've not even started the EPQ will thursday i'm dreading the thought of it already. thanks for this thread made me feel a lot better (about not doing it infron of the whole class)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.