Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya,
    So ive found out that I might have a wheat intolerance, and so have to go without it for a while. This is a big problem for me however as the majority of the meals and snacks i eat have wheat in them.
    For example I eat a peanut butter sandwich every day.
    Has anyone got any ideas that i can use to make things for easy lunches that do not nvolve wheat and are not time-consuming/expensive?
    This is really starting to get me down, as so much of the food i absolutely adore ivolves wheat, such as pasta, bread, cakes and biscuits!

ReputationRep:
    a salad? potatoes and stuff? rice and other stuff?

or a portion of chips from the chippy :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    You'll just have to go on the atkins diet during the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    a salad? potatoes and stuff? rice and other stuff?

or a portion of chips from the chippy :awesome:
    I thought there was gluten in rice?

OP, there is gluten free bread, pasta, biscuits and cakes. You can easily substitute them. I have a gluten intolerance too and I know it's difficult making things, especially if you don't want a big meal, but you can always control the amount of wheat you do have. I can have some wheat but too much gives me ezcema so it's all about knowing your limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I thought there was gluten in rice?

OP, there is gluten free bread, pasta, biscuits and cakes. You can easily substitute them. I have a gluten intolerance too and I know it's difficult making things, especially if you don't want a big meal, but you can always control the amount of wheat you do have. I can have some wheat but too much gives me ezcema so it's all about knowing your limits.

Is there? you learn something new every day. There ain't wheat though and she distinctly said wheat.

A wheat intolerance is different from a gluten intolerance.

ReputationRep:
    Most supermarkets have a Free From range so you can get a wheat free alternative to most things. If you look in the frozen section you can even get chicken nuggets fish fingers and pizzas. My mum is gluten intolerant and the only thing she hasn't been able to find is Danish pastries.

And no, rice does not have gluten in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    A wheat intolerance is different from a gluten intolerance.
    But gluten is in wheat so if someone with a gluten intolerance can eat it, someone with a wheat intolerance can too.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I should have said. It is a wheat thing rather than a gluten thing.
    But thanks for the suggestion guys. I dont particularly like the gluten free stuff alot of the time (my mum has to have them), so i guess il just hav to keep trying different ones.
    It was horrible walking through the supermarket the other day and seeing all the things id normally pick up, such as pasta, breaded chicken, naan bread, digestive biscuits and weetabix! Its just going to take a lot of getting used to.

ReputationRep:
    Have a peek at this site here:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5009190_wh...free-diet.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponpon14)
    Sorry, I should have said. It is a wheat thing rather than a gluten thing.
    But thanks for the suggestion guys. I dont particularly like the gluten free stuff alot of the time (my mum has to have them), so i guess il just hav to keep trying different ones.
    It was horrible walking through the supermarket the other day and seeing all the things id normally pick up, such as pasta, breaded chicken, naan bread, digestive biscuits and weetabix! Its just going to take a lot of getting used to.
    I'm Coeliac and I know how crap the food is. Kind of, I've got used to it now (aka, forgotten what real food tastes like lol). The most normal bread I've had is the Genius one, can get in in Sainsburys. It is £3.15 or something a loaf though. Can you get any bread/pasta on prescription? I do but then again I'm diabetic as well so I get free prescriptions so not an issue for me.

As you're only wheat intolerant, you can probably have rice/corn-based cereals. I can't have anything Kelloggs because of a stupid flavouring they put in everything Maybe try making rice salads instead of pasta? I don't like them but can always recommend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    But gluten is in wheat so if someone with a gluten intolerance can eat it, someone with a wheat intolerance can too.
    That's a tricky one - I'm Coeliac and my bread is make from wheat with the gluten taken out. It tastes better than the other ones not made from wheat. Slightly, it still has that GF smell though. Pringles used to have GF wheat in them too, they had a little star beside the wheat in ingredients that said it was GF (I think if it has <0.02% gluten, it's ok). They've changed the recipe though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.