Turn on thread page Beta

Does a Bioscience or Psychology MSc from the LSE increase chances of breaking into IB watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I know the best MSc to study at the LSE for increasing your chance of breaking into Investment Banking is either in Economics or Finance. However these degrees are too expensive for me and I did an undergrad in Biomedicine so my chances of landing a place are slim.

I am considering doing an MSc at the LSE in either "Biomedicine, Bioscience and Society" or "Organisational and Social Psychology". These courses are both much cheaper and because my undergrad is in biomedicine, they'd be much easier to get onto for me than the finance and economics courses.

I know it sounds like an odd question but the reason I ask is because I have been reading around it and I've heard that the IBs come and recruit people from ALL the courses at LSE, as opposed to just the students from Finance and Economics courses. Is that true? Apparently MSc students from the LSE have got on from history courses and philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    Hi

I've heard that the IBs come and recruit people from ALL the courses at LSE, as opposed to just the students from Finance and Economics courses. Is that true? Apparently MSc students from the LSE have got on from history courses and philosophy
    I believe it is the case..but those with irrelevent backgrounds tend to have to prove that they know what they want. So I just don't see how studying for a masters that you know isn't going to be all that useful for future work is the best idea. They will train you, but wouldn;t it be better to do a masters in something more related since you know what you want? What about the other uni's? Are they all as expensive?

I think you are making life a bit more difficult for yourself but yes, it would be extremely advantageous to be is LSE for networking events, and ease of access to interviews etc!

Is it FO you want or MO/BO?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorchii)
    I believe it is the case..but those with irrelevent backgrounds tend to have to prove that they know what they want. So I just don't see how studying for a masters that you know isn't going to be all that useful for future work is the best idea. They will train you, but wouldn;t it be better to do a masters in something more related since you know what you want? What about the other uni's? Are they all as expensive?

I think you are making life a bit more difficult for yourself but yes, it would be extremely advantageous to be is LSE for networking events, and ease of access to interviews etc!

Is it FO you want or MO/BO?
    Yeah I really want to do the MSc Finance but it's 21k and I doubt I'd get on it. I'm not sure if it's worth doing an MSc Finance at another uni because I heard that they don't look at you if you have a masters from a non-target uni., although other unis are cheaper.

I want to work in MO/BO realistically, I don't have relevant enough grades or experience for FO.

Do you think it'd be better to do an MSc in Finance or Economics at a non-target uni, or an irrelevant degree subject at the LSE?

ReputationRep:
    in short i dont know! but i firmly believe you don't need to buy your way into a job! If you be the type of person they want, and have a strong cv regardless of your uni then I would say choose to do something more relevent and at a less of a target university! Banks go to alot more than just the lse's of the world for recruitments! They wont fast track you and you have to do more at other unis, but for bo/mo its certainly not impossible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    Yeah I really want to do the MSc Finance but it's 21k and I doubt I'd get on it. I'm not sure if it's worth doing an MSc Finance at another uni because I heard that they don't look at you if you have a masters from a non-target uni., although other unis are cheaper.

I want to work in MO/BO realistically, I don't have relevant enough grades or experience for FO.

Do you think it'd be better to do an MSc in Finance or Economics at a non-target uni, or an irrelevant degree subject at the LSE?
    since when do LSE offer degrees in biomedicine? they must be really strapped for cash :lol:

If you want to go to LSE I'd go with the Psychology MSc. As mentioned above, with the Biomed masters you would probably have to do a lot to convince that you're genuinely interested in banking (at least psychology is somewhat applicable to finance). Your subject generally doesn't matter, and even though Psychology isn't one of the typical degrees in the industry LSE's brand and opportunities should more than compensate for that. Grads from LSE doing atypical subjects, such as history and geography, are not uncommon in the industry.

The other option is to do MSc Finance or Econ at another uni. Do you have any particular unis in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    since when do LSE offer degrees in biomedicine? they must be really strapped for cash :lol:

If you want to go to LSE I'd go with the Psychology MSc. As mentioned above, with the Biomed masters you would probably have to do a lot to convince that you're genuinely interested in banking (at least psychology is somewhat applicable to finance). Your subject generally doesn't matter, and even though Psychology isn't one of the typical degrees in the industry LSE's brand and opportunities should more than compensate for that. Grads from LSE doing atypical subjects, such as history and geography, are not uncommon in the industry.

The other option is to do MSc Finance or Econ at another uni. Do you have any particular unis in mind?
    Thanks. No I don't have any other unis in mind; I want to go to LSE mainly for the networking opportunities and the brand name. I've looked at other unis but a lot of them want GMATs etc. (can't afford). Do you think they give the same networking opportunities at LSE to non-finance students? I've heard a lot of it is invite only

ReputationRep:
    hang on a minute you can't afford the GMAT but you can afford like 25844 for the MSc Finance at LSE? You do realise student finance will not fund you.

With a 2.1 you are better off looking at a course at Cass, Macnhester then going into accounting for ACA then maybe just maybe transfer to IB.

Or as you said if you want BO just get connected through networking and you are ok now, but i don't think you will be accepted into top tier MSc Finance courses.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.