Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am almost 18 years old, and for as long as I can remember I go red talking infront of people, or even walking somewhere on my own. I thought as I grew up, it would probably ease, but it feels like it's getting worse. For example, the other day a year 8 dropped a bottle of water beside me, and I turned red. I know it's so silly, and I tell myself, no everyone isn't staring at you just relax, but it just happens instantly.

As well as always going red, sometimes I get so nervous, I start shivering. I normally do this when i'm with my boyfriend, even though we've been going out 6 months! He always asks me why I'm not comfortable & it really bothers him. I have no idea what is causing the anxiety and nerves.

Sometimes I feel like I'm about to faint in crowded areas, it's at school I feel most uncomfortable, and I don't sleep very well as I feel stressed and anxious.

Is this just a case of being shy or should I go to a doctor? I feel silly going, and that he might just say I am shy?

ReputationRep:
    This seems to be a very common problem. And sounds like social anxiety - fear/embarassment in front of other people. I've also had it/still have it myself. It can ruin your life if you let it! When i was 15/16 it got so bad that I didn't want to speak to anyone but it made it far worse in the end by avoiding the problem.

You need to do things to increase your self-esteem and confidence which does sound a lot easier than it is. Constantly try and put yourself in suitations that you avoid and it will improve in time. One thing i've noticed though is you have to keep doing it - its not a case of you've done it and don't go red anymore you have to keep doing it.

If its getting really bad may be worth going to doctor who can prescribe anti-anxiety medication which isn't always a good route to go down though also counselling could help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.