Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing it at Newcastle but a friend who has now switched to the course I'm on at Carlisle was doing it at Newcastle. She said the teaching wasn't really very good (though you won't necessarily have the same teachers) but that the facilities were excellent, especially in the mature student section (can't remember the name of it but there was a coffee place and computer facilities there...) and you have use of Blackboard, which is the same intranet system that Newcastle and Northumbria Uni's use to aid online learning. I remember that she was a bit annoyed how the tutors managed the "Toolbox" sessions (study skills/uni application) as they basically got her to fill out some forms to answer questions and then wrote her PS and uni application for her - this was within the first 3 weeks before they even knew her! Gives the impression that they are willing to do a lot on the face of things to get their students offers but might not necessarily put the effort in where they should? It could just be her bad experience though, don't want to put you off!

About the access course itself, there are lots of people on TSR doing access courses right now but they all tend to differ slightly depending on which college you go to. Ask any questions you like and I'm sure people will do their best to answer, but bear in mind that it might be slightly different at Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an Access course at Newcastle College though it is not an HEFC.

I can hopefully answer any queries regarding the college itself if that would help?

As "girlwithsharpteeth" alluded to, the difference in a good and bad course is generally the teaching staff. I am fortunate that our course leader is extremely passionate about the Access course I am doing and it clearly shows in the course.

On a more general note, expect a very tough year where you will have to pretty much disregard a social life as you will need to be studying a lot outside of the classroom. On a positive note it is worth the hard work to get from where you are now to going on to do a degree at Northumbria/Newcastle.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

If your under 25 and have no "full" lvl 3 it should be free , Newcastle College is one of the best colleges in the uk if the league tables mean much to you, and they have good links with newcastle and northumbria uni.

I'm doing the same course as Nick, and its my second course at the college (wrong direction first time round). Just give up the social life ;D, and put the work in, im of to Manchester University in september if i get the grades, carnt wait .

Chris.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm almost finished my HEFC course at NCL. I do QM and the teacher is amazing! I started out thinking there was no way I could do it (I cried two days solid before my first results came back) and I'm a straight distinction student in it! Most of my class are achieving the same grades, maybe one or two that are not.
    My other courses are sociology and social welfare so not really relevant to you.
    The facilities are great, you can use the quiet room in the library for studying which is just for the foundation degree courses really but as an adult using the room nobody says anything.
    The bar 'Space' is great for those lunchtimes where classes have finished early etc, and we always meet up there the last Friday of term for a knees up! It also has a pc suite downstairs but i've never needed to use it, likewise with the pc's that are actually in the bar.
    Toolbox is a nightmare. Fact. It actually is a huuuuge waste of time and if organised properly the whole work could be done in 4 lessons.... But you cant get into uni without it!
    Anyway, I have a place at Northumbria if I get 1 distinction and 5 merits.... With 3 distinctions so far, its looking good
    Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey xelack,

It depends on the course ours was 4 days a week two being half days, we where told it could be 2 or 3 when enrolling :rolleyes:

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Finished my HEFC course 3 weeks ago. I done law, politics and english language and besides politics the teaching was excellent, they would go out of there way to help you. Politics had been dropped anyway so no one else will have to suffer. Get my last two exam results tomorrow, so nervous lol

I was only in wednesdays and thursdays, but my thursday was a very long day.

ReputationRep:
    Got all my results yesterday. Got 2 distinctions, 3 merits and 2 passes. To be quite honest it was quite easy just to get a pass, you only had to put the bare minimum into an exam/ essay. In all my classes no one ever failed anything. Politics was my worst subject and we had a lot of trouble with missed lessons and teacher troubles so hence why i got passes in that. I only need passes for my uni (Teeside) so i have done much better than i needed to.

As it has been said before, toolbox except at the start when they helped you with your UCAS application is the biggest waste of f ing time ever. Even the teachers admitted that. Its so annoying that you have to pass toolbox otherwise you fail the whole course. Its teaches you nothing that you would need for uni and i found it quite patronising, but thankfully toolbox is quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    My course worked a little different to yours, we could get a total of 54 level 3 at pass/merit/distinction and 6 level 2 credits at pass only, luckily we didnt have to do a toolbox module , officially the course ended last Friday when the external verifier came.

I got 54 level 3 at disitincation and the level 2 credits, for my offer at The University of Manchester i only needed 30 at distinction and 15 at merit the lectures on my course though where excellent and turned up pretty much always which helps.

All thats left for me is to pay my deposit for accommodation, always the money :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blighty4eva)
    Politics had been dropped anyway so no one else will have to suffer.
    I really enjoyed the politics lessons!

I think it's a shame politics was dropped; largely because my offer for Newcastle Uni was dependent on my getting distinctions in it and as history isn't offered no other subjects really offer the same crossover of research and analytical skills.

p.s. Michael, how did everyone else get on? Well done for getting into Teesside!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting the Science, Engineering and Computing HEFC at Newcastle College in September. I've chosen Chemistry, Biology and QM.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to start in September, though at Gateshead because I wanted to do History and Newcastle don't offer it . I'm going to be doing History, Law and Criminology.

ReputationRep:
    Hey this message is for gennied.

Hope you don't mind me asking you directly, its just I came across the fact that you are also studying for social welfare and sociology.

See am trying to go back into studying after quite a long gap. I want to study at undergraduate level for social work and have been told the following;

Your best way forward will be to study the Higher Education Foundation Course and you need 3 subject modules to include English Language, Quantitative Methods (Maths) and one other from either Social Welfare, Sociology or Psychology. You will also need to study Toolbox which is a study skills module.

You can do this over 1 or 2 years and your UCAS application for the degree should be completed by 15 January of the year you want to start e.g. January 2012 for entry in September 2012.

I just wanted to ask you what's toolbox all about and how it works really. Is it hard to get a distinction?

I would really appreciate some more advice on the topic. Thanks

Shaila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaila)

Hope you don't mind me asking you directly, its just I came across the fact that you are also studying for social welfare and sociology.

See am trying to go back into studying after quite a long gap. I want to study at undergraduate level for social work and have been told the following;

Your best way forward will be to study the Higher Education Foundation Course and you need 3 subject modules to include English Language, Quantitative Methods (Maths) and one other from either Social Welfare, Sociology or Psychology. You will also need to study Toolbox which is a study skills module.

You can do this over 1 or 2 years and your UCAS application for the degree should be completed by 15 January of the year you want to start e.g. January 2012 for entry in September 2012.

I just wanted to ask you what's toolbox all about and how it works really. Is it hard to get a distinction?

Shaila
    I'm obviously not Gennied but thought I'd answer anyway btw if you want her to answer you it would be better if you quote her as she might not see your message otherwise.

Toolbox is really easy and pretty much a waste of time but you have to do it and attend or you can fail the whole course. It is very easy to get a distinction as long as you put everything in that they ask for. You basically have to put together a portfolio of evidence for skills that you have to prove you can handle studying at University level. So evidence that you can correctly reference material, that you can find information in the library, that you have time management skills, can do a presentation or that you can work as part of a group, etc. Your tutor will help you with this evidence and tell you what to include to prove that you have these skills, so as long as you put in what they tell you (and you will need to do this as you go along in the course) then you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
    I'm obviously not Gennied but thought I'd answer anyway btw if you want her to answer you it would be better if you quote her as she might not see your message otherwise.

Toolbox is really easy and pretty much a waste of time but you have to do it and attend or you can fail the whole course. It is very easy to get a distinction as long as you put everything in that they ask for. You basically have to put together a portfolio of evidence for skills that you have to prove you can handle studying at University level. So evidence that you can correctly reference material, that you can find information in the library, that you have time management skills, can do a presentation or that you can work as part of a group, etc. Your tutor will help you with this evidence and tell you what to include to prove that you have these skills, so as long as you put in what they tell you (and you will need to do this as you go along in the course) then you'll be fine
    Hey thanks for the info girlwithsharpteeth. i really appreciate it. i didnt know you had to quote people - new on here as you can tell. lol. aww but thanks so much, helped a great deal - take care

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I completed my HEFC course in July, I was working 25hrs per week, have three children and also did voluntary work at weekends, I came out with seven distinctions in Health Studies, Psychology, Sociology and Toolbox.
    Tutors are fab, give you loadsa guidance if you want it.....
    I won't say it was easy, but as long as you are organised you'll be fine!!
    I start uni on 19th so got me where I wanted to be (studying Social Work at Northumbria).
    Best of luck and enjoy it! I did!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaila)

Shaila
    Hey Shaila,

Im starting my undergraduate Social Work Degree at Northumbria next Monday, I studied HEFC last year and took the following: Sociology, Psychology and Health Studies along with Toolbox and received offers from both Universities I applied to - I had been out of education for about 15yrs and thought it was gonna be tough but i worked 25hrs pw, have three kids (under 8) and did voluntary work (i recommend this for your personal statement on UCAS application), if i managed it you will!!
    I got seven distinctions and the highest entry requirement was 1 distinction and 5 merits to get into Northumbria.
    As long as you attend Toolbox you'll be up to speed really, the only thing to concern yourself with in toolbox is the presentation cos you're reliant on others so pick wisely lol!
    Good luck n enjoy it as much as i did!!

Sarah (sassystewart)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.