The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

failing exams intentionally

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chian
Thank you ! I hope your exams went well ! I don't understand what it means by " There's no cap as to what marks I would get.". Can you explain to me please ?

And if we fail one paper for the second time, this will cause a drop in degree classification right ? Let's say if we are able to get 75% after retakes, that means we are getting a first for that paper ?

If we have taken a year out to repeat 2 papers, and for the 2nd round, we manage to pass 1 and fail 1 paper, are we allow to progress to the next year ?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. Would like to understand how the system works- :smile: Cheers and Thank you!

If you pass one and fail one exam in the retakes then yes you can progress to the next year.

You can only resit a paper once. If you fail two papers twice then yes you go down a classification not if you fail only once.

The retakes are not capped so if you do get 75% then you would get a first.

If you read the LSE classification rules rules all of your questions would be answered as well as previous posts in the forum
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by Chrisateen
If you pass one and fail one exam in the retakes then yes you can progress to the next year.

You can only resit a paper once. If you fail two papers twice then yes you go down a classification not if you fail only once.

The retakes are not capped so if you do get 75% then you would get a first.

If you read the LSE classification rules rules all of your questions would be answered as well as previous posts in the forum

Are you sure that you can only resit a paper once:confused:
Original post by haqowado

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you can resit a paper more than once. I remember back in my stats lecture in first year, the lecturer said "I know some of you sitting here are taking the exam for the second time... and some of you for the third time." And I've heard of people failing MA100 3 years in a row, they can't even bothered to try the last time :rolleyes:

However, that'd only apply for failed first year modules. As far as I know, if you have any unredeemed fails in third year... you'll just be graduating with it (something I'm terrified of right now).
Original post by haqowado

It depends on what year you failed the exam the first time

LSE

A candidate who has failed an examination and who has not been awarded a degree will normally be required to resit the failed paper at the first possible opportunity, but no LLB paper or first year BA/BSc paper shall be sat more than three times and no second or third year BA/BSc paper shall be sat more than twice. For this purpose a candidate absent from an examination which she/he has entered shall be regarded as having sat it unless the board of examiners, having considered the facts of the case, shall decide otherwis
Reply 44
Just to let you all know. Did intentionally fail said exams but in a highly cunning way, making me immune to the "no serious attempt" drawback. Then worked in the City for nine months in an entry level position, making numerous contacts that enabled me to secure summer internship in IB. smashed the material for said exams over the weekends (even went to the lectures' office hours a couple of times in my lunch break and sat in on the odd early evening class lol). Smashed said exams, securing 1st. Performed brilliantly on summer internship due to new found maturity,work ethic and contacts. Got job offer. Then massive holiday in SE asia. Great stress free final year. Now have mint job. Nobody cares that I failed some exams when I was 19. Nobody will ever care. Best decision I ever made.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rogercoger
Just to let you all know. Did intentionally fail said exams but in a highly cunning way, making me immune to the "no serious attempt" drawback. Then worked in the City for nine months in an entry level position, making numerous contacts that enabled me to secure summer internship in IB. smashed the material for said exams over the weekends (even went to the lectures' office hours a couple of times in my lunch break and sat in on the odd early evening class lol). Smashed said exams, securing 1st. Performed brilliantly on summer internship due to new found maturity,work ethic and contacts. Got job offer. Then massive holiday in SE asia. Great stress free final year. Now have mint job. Nobody cares that I failed some exams when I was 19. Nobody will ever care. Best decision I ever made.

Hi, I am in the same situation as you, my repeat year will start this september, and was wondering which firm you did the 9 month entry level position, and what your job title was, how you made the contacts (if they beared no relevance to IB, since its difficult to get an IB related entry level position). PM or reply back please. Thanks.
Original post by #Unknown
Hi, I am in the same situation as you, my repeat year will start this september, and was wondering which firm you did the 9 month entry level position, and what your job title was, how you made the contacts (if they beared no relevance to IB, since its difficult to get an IB related entry level position). PM or reply back please. Thanks.

Hey, the thread is really old so the user might not be active any more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending