The Student Room Group

Britain has the fourth highest quality of life in the world

I've noticed that this ranking didn't make the press, unlike last year's where we came 25th and it was plastered across the tabloids. I don't trust Quality of Life surveys, and would still feel that I live in one of the world's best countries regardless of what it said, but what do you think of the findings?

By the way, when I say we came fourth, I meant according to the final score in the table where several countries achieved the same.

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2011/
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How can Austria's climate rank worse than ours?

Probably important to point out that we're joint 4th too

I call bull**** on the US's rankings as well; 100 on infrastructure + economy and 90 on health? Are they having some sort of laugh?
(edited 13 years ago)
Just wondering how the U.S scored higher than us on health, haha.
Reply 3
Seems bull****. The US top? Yeah right.
Yes, but are we happy?

I don't believe in these statistics.... :pierre:
Reply 5
Seems about right to me.
Haha, also wondering as to why US scored higher than us in health? Hmmm...
Reply 7
Original post by I<3LAMP
Yes, but are we happy?

I don't believe in these statistics.... :pierre:

Most people I know are pretty happy, yeah.
Yeah but Israel and Mexico scored higher than Luxembourg; I mean how many Luxembourgians do you see scrambling over the border to the "Land of Opportunity"
I don't even know what this website is. The UN HDI is a more reliable source of information. http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/
Original post by py0alb
Most people I know are pretty happy, yeah.

:hmmm: Damn you, ruining my perfectly useless post!

It was sunny today, that made me happy.
Reply 11
Original post by small t tory.
I don't even know what this website is. The UN HDI is a more reliable source of information. http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

The HDI measures three indices; health, education, and income, and gives a mean figure. It's not really more any more accurate than International Living's ranking.
Reply 12
Original post by I<3LAMP
:hmmm: Damn you, ruining my perfectly useless post!

It was sunny today, that made me happy.

It still is! How can anyone be unhappy when there are sunny days?
Reply 13
Original post by py0alb
It still is! How can anyone be unhappy when there are sunny days?

When I have to sit inside doing coursework on a sunny day that makes me unhappy. :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by TheMeister
How can Austria's climate rank worst than ours?

Probably important to point out that we're joint 4th too

I call bull**** on the US's rankings as well; 100 on infrastructure + economy and 90 on health? Are they having some sort of laugh?

You sir, have excellent views.

I would hate to live in the US with all the guns e.t.c.
Austria is about 10x prettier than the UK too :love:

Well said!

AMERICA FREEDOM.. 100/100??? Do the words "DEATH PENALTY" mean nothing to whoever calculated this!?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by small t tory.

I would say that ranking is considerably less accurate, seeing as it takes into account a far narrower range of factors. How can you attempt to rank places to live without considering what its actually like to live there on a daily basis?
That freedom Statistic must piss the us off, i believe they think they are the only ones with freedom. Although i call bull**** on the rest.
Reply 17
UK did not come 4th, they came at best 7th. Six Countries with better scores above the UK.
Reply 18
Original post by emi_sarb
When I have to sit inside doing coursework on a sunny day that makes me unhappy. :frown:

I know you're joking, but seriously, don't be so shortsighted.
I imagine the reason it's not been widely reported is because it's from an anonymous source with dubious methodology.

USA beating us on healthcare when 25% of children there have no healthcare coverage at all? Hmm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending