Turn on thread page Beta

Britain has the fourth highest quality of life in the world watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Who actually makes this argument? And how would this argument be framed?

I don't know about you but I would say access to healthcare is the most important aspect of well run healthcare system.
    Not if the healthcare available to everyone is subpar. Cuba is a case-in-point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kowa)
    Not if the healthcare available to everyone is subpar. Cuba is a case-in-point.
    According to the World Health Organisation (as in not some crap random website), the USA (at 37th) is only 2 places above Cuba (39th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO's_r...h_care_systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    According to the World Health Organisation (as in not some crap random website), the USA (at 37th) is only 2 places above Cuba (39th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO's_r...h_care_systems
    That ranking's 11 years old.

ReputationRep:
    i don't believe it

ReputationRep:
    What a load of nonsense. I can point out a number of errors.

1. Germany's economy is lower on there than the UK's

2. Germany's environmental rating is lower than the UK's

3. The UK's and America's risk and safety rating is 100 - lets just forget knife and gun crime then shall we? Icelands is 91 yet have far less crime based on population density than the UK and the US.

4. The UK got 84 on the climate rating yet Bulgaria, who's climate is far superior only get 81.

5. The Netherlands environment rating is 56 yet they're one of the countries in Europe who's environment is best looked after.

6. The United Kingdoms leisure rating is below that of Turkmenistan, Serbia, Israel and level with Uzbekistan.

Poor research went into this Index.

ReputationRep:
    They gave France a score of 100 for culture. France. That says it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kowa)
    The fact that they've got the most roads in the world, the most cell phones per capita, highest number of airports etc.
    You mean the fact it is a big country? Their roads are okay, the airports are terrible, the public transport is dire. More impoortantly the education system is atrocious.

(Original post by Kowa)
    Our violent crime is worse than the US's, and the health ranking seems accurate as well when you consider that it's based on the number of people per doctor, the number of hospital beds per 1,000 people, the percentage of the population with access to safe water, the infant mortality rate, life expectancy, and public health expenditure as a percentage of a country’s GDP.
    Statistically it might look worse because the method of recording and defining violent crime is completely different from country to country, but I really struggle to believe it is. Britain is **** too but the gang situation is nothing like it is in the states, not even comparable. They spend more on healthcare than anywhere else because of the extremely high costs of medical care, it's the leading cause of bankruptcy among Americans, yet they lag behind massively on aspects such as life expectancy and infant mortality (both below cuba - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081200113.html). Not to mention the fact that any country that doesn't insure it's citizens = third world.

Not to mention Americans work themselves to death, are massively stressed, sexually repressed, and their cities are artificial looking and dirty. Also the beer sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Layabout)
    You mean the fact it is a big country? Their roads are okay, the airports are terrible, the public transport is dire. More impoortantly the education system is atrocious.

How can the airports be terrible when they're regarded as International standard?

How can the education system be atrocious when they have so many universities rated in the top 20 internationally.

I can't comment on public transport but I would guess its worse than here due to the population being higher so they'd have to cater for more people which means more money being spent to provide methods of transport.

Statistically it might look worse because the method of recording and defining violent crime is completely different from country to country, but I really struggle to believe it is. Britain is **** but the gang situation is nothing like it is in the states, not even comparable. They spend more on healthcare than anywhere else because of the extremely high costs of medical care, it's the leading cause of bankruptcy among Americans, yet they lag behind massively on aspects such as life expectancy (below Cuba) and infant mortality. The WHO ranks the USA very low on healthcare, I don't know exactly but I can look it up. Not to mention the fact that any country that doesn't insure it's citizens = third world.
    I agree with most of this. Private healthcare is fine for most and if you gave free healthcare to everyone you'd end up spending on people are obese through their own fault, as happens here, and therefore that would stop money being spent on operations on those that needed them.

Britain is far worse in terms of crime than the USA. They have far more incidents due to a higher population but in correlation to population density they have less. Then you have to factor in that a lot of crime in New York is in deprived areas and a lot of crime in Los Angeles is in areas that are gang dominated. The fact is, most of the crime stays within certain zones and gang units police them constantly.

ReputationRep:
    The airports are **** trust me, better than Heathrow though, but it's not that important.
    They have some good universities for a privledged a elite that work on nepotism and greed, that most of them can't afford and will never go too, I'm referring to the pre-university system obviously.
    The public transport is third world.

(Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    I agree with most of this. Private healthcare is fine for most and if you gave free healthcare to everyone you'd end up spending on people are obese through their own fault, as happens here, and therefore that would stop money being spent on operations on those that needed them.
    Oh god it's like I'm on the Daily Mail comment section. I mean really? Insurance doesn't always cover everything you know, the reality is many people in America are left in relative poverty after a complex operation. Also obesity can be combated with heavy investment into healthcare, as happened in Finland in the 1970's.

(Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Britain is far worse in terms of crime than the USA. They have far more incidents due to a higher population but in correlation to population density they have less. Then you have to factor in that a lot of crime in New York is in deprived areas and a lot of crime in Los Angeles is in areas that are gang dominated. The fact is, most of the crime stays within certain zones and gang units police them constantly. [/B]
    And where did you get this infomation from? As I have said I don't take crime statistics at face value, my perception comes from actually spending time in the states, also I hate this idea that it doesn't matter because it happens in areas where poor (and usually black) people live. Britain is **** too, I don't deny that at all.

ReputationRep:
    Worst ranking ever...

ReputationRep:
    Lmao this is blaitant bull****. A score of 100 would indicate perfection.

This is made by an American, there was probably no data used AT ALL, rather he got an atlas went through the countries and picked figures out HIS head. HE probably lives in texas and may or may not be a cyote.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Monaco, Qatar, Liechtenstein and Macau all have a better economy than China

ReputationRep:
    Zimbabwe, 100 for climate yet countries with essentially identical climates get way lower. And 0 for economy is a bit harsh, it still exists even if it is completely ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kowa)
    I've noticed that this ranking didn't make the press, unlike last year's where we came 25th and it was plastered across the tabloids. I don't trust Quality of Life surveys, and would still feel that I live in one of the world's best countries regardless of what it said, but what do you think of the findings?

By the way, when I say we came fourth, I meant according to the final score in the table where several countries achieved the same.

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2011/
    who the **** came up with that bull**** list?
    Yankies, Malta? Complete arse.

Yet, I agree with you. We live on one of the best, and most 'well rounded' if i may, countries on this planet.
    But part of being British is complaining, and its something we do with some skill. Even if we were the best place on earth, we'd still want better.

Secondly, I wish to point out that it actually does not rain that much in the UK. It rains a small amount, all the bloody time. Rome for example has more annual rainfall than London.

ReputationRep:
    how low is the UAE? are they having a laugh, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are perhaps THE most developed and luxurious places on the planet

ReputationRep:
    This table is a JOKE TING.

ReputationRep:
    Biased rankings are crap rankings.

Scandinavia usually top these kind of rankings, and the first Scandinavian country listed is ranked 15th. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Lol at 100% freedom - how can we have the same level of freedom as the US?

They're allowed to carry around guns and be as racist as they like.

Not that that's a good thing, but hardly the same level of freedom...

ReputationRep:
    I heard british are ungliest ones in the world. Money does not make beauty, I guess. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Layabout)
    The airports are **** trust me, better than Heathrow though, but it's not that important.
    They have some good universities for a privledged a elite that work on nepotism and greed, that most of them can't afford and will never go too, I'm referring to the pre-university system obviously.
    The public transport is third world.

How come then children from the States have gone on to be some of the most successful people in the world? If they're education system is poor then almost every education system in the world must be. So what if the universities with higher rankings only cater for the elite? Why do you think it is? Because its ex students who become wealthy who pump thousands into the universities through sponsorships that gets invested into research to provide a better education. A better education is 9/10 obviously going to cost more, as Cambridge's courses next year will cost more than London Met, I assure you.

Oh god it's like I'm on the Daily Mail comment section. I mean really? Insurance doesn't always cover everything you know, the reality is many people in America are left in relative poverty after a complex operation. Also obesity can be combated with heavy investment into healthcare, as happened in Finland in the 1970's.

No they're really not. How many times have you been there seriously? I've been to Vegas once and my auntie lives in the States after moving upon graduation. She's always been able to afford health care. Why? Because she's worked to be able to afford the insurance, just as people work in this country to pay for car insurance. The majority of those who struggle to get health care are those that either;

1. Dont work

2. Work but choose not to take it out ( which is there own fault for being irresponsible. Considering houses of the same size in the US are a fraction of the price of what they are in the UK, they should be able to set money aside for health care insurance. If you don't pay car insurance, you dont get your car fixed as its not covered. The same applies to those in the US in terms of medical care.

My auntie isn't on much money, even as a graduate but she went over there due to the cost of living and its easier to get into the housing market as prices are lower. She's now got a house paid for and sets aside the rest of her money for things that she needs such as car insurance, food, health care and she has no issues at all with it.

And where did you get this infomation from? As I have said I don't take crime statistics at face value, my perception comes from actually spending time in the states, also I hate this idea that it doesn't matter because it happens in areas where poor (and usually black) people live. Britain is **** too, I don't deny that at all.
    No one said anything about black people so seriously what are you on about? Britain is terrible and has far more crime than the US based on population density findings. The USA has a higher murder rate due to gang affiliated murders as you already mentioned but in terms of all violent crime and crime as a whole, the UK has more.

I think its quite obvious why as well. Our judicial system is a soft touch with criminals so reoffending rates are through the roof. If they stuck criminals away for longer, the UK would be a far safer place than the US. The figures are so high due to roughly 70% of all criminals reoffending within a year of release.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.