Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain has the fourth highest quality of life in the world Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Because the list is pure rubbish.

It's really obvious when you see how far down the Scandinavian/Nordic countries are. Insane really .. Norway is always on top 5 on these lists, and it wasn't greatly affected by the recession. One of the few
    countries in Europe with little economic problems.
    talk about circular reasoning :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Go play under a bridge. You're very tiresome.
    I can understand why you find people who dismantle your flimsy arguments tiresome, it must be very tiring attempting to defend the indefensible. Perhaps in future you should think of some better argument than "this list is rubbish because it doesn't simply confirm my preconceived notions".

ReputationRep:
    What I find shows how flawed the list is is the final scores; America, at 86, is 10 whole points clear of 2nd, whilst the scores of the next 25 countries is within a range of 5 points, 76-71. Logically America simply can't be so head-and-shoulders above the rest of the world, and this shows a clear bias towards the US.

ReputationRep:
    Not just the Nordic countries. It's obvious the list is not a good list, based on everything people have said. Rather obvious when you look at it. There is nothing to defend. Take your ignorance somewhere else.
    You actually have nothing better to add do you? No attempt at a defence of your ridiculous piece of circular reasoning. Do you even know what circular reasoning is? Apparently not. :rolleyes: Seriously stop spamming these types of threads with your pointless nationalistic propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    Well I remember looking at sources a few years ago and Britain was 20 something, scandanavian countires were top which looked about right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small t tory.)
    I don't even know what this website is. The UN HDI is a more reliable source of information. http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/
    I think Ireland has slipped down a bit in the last two years.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the United Arab Emirates, which was given a 10 for climate. What so a country where it is sunny everyday has a worse climate than Norway?

ReputationRep:
    Not even worth a long reply. I'm going to end this pointless and childish argument right here. Your ignorance is sickening.
    Excellent news! Take your ad hominems and lack of any form of reasonable argument and don't ever come back onto one of these threads. Kthanksbye.

Whilst I think this list is flawed, at least it goes further than many lists in attempting to address the issues that actually matter to the man in the street. Any attempt to differentiate between otherwise extremely similar developed nations that doesn't take into account things like climate, culture and lifestyle is a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf94)
    I live in the United Arab Emirates, which was given a 10 for climate. What so a country where it is sunny everyday has a worse climate than Norway?
    I think its suggesting that in the list compiler's eyes, there is such a thing as too hot.

Obviously, its a difficult thing to assess objectively. I like hot weather and 100 degree heat, many other people do not.

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried to argue anything. You're the one that pick these pointless fights and
    start saying a lot of stuff that simply isn't true. And yes, it's flawed. And biased .

This is what happened:
    1) you made a ridiculous statement
    2) I pointed out that it was a ridiculous statement
    3) you called me names
    4) you said you were going to leave
    5) you didn't leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    This is what happened:
    1) you made a ridiculous statement
    2) I pointed out that it was a ridiculous statement
    3) you called me names
    4) you said you were going to leave
    5) you didn't leave
    I disagree. But fine, let's leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf94)
    It's a value judgement...I'd definitely prefer the coldness of Norway to the extreme heat of the UAE (although, ideally something in between).The fact this table tries to quantify opinions is one of the reasons why it's crap!

This table IS ridiculous. For example, the "cost of living" index, which makes up 20% of the score, "is a guide to how much it will cost you to live in a style comparable to—or better than—the standard of living you’re likely enjoying in the U.S."... the top three countries are Iraq, Gambia and Afghanistan. I kind of think the extra security and lack of infrastructure in Afghanistan would somewhat offset the savings on slightly cheaper shopping.

If you read the "how the score is calculated" page the authors do give a disclaimer explaining why it's hugely biased to US readers.

And, as an aside, I wouldn't say the UK came 4th. I'd say we came joint 7th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)
    It's a value judgement...I'd definitely prefer the coldness of Norway to the extreme heat of the UAE (although, ideally something in between).The fact this table tries to quantify opinions is one of the reasons why it's crap!
    I agree that its a crap table - but how on earth do you expect a table of the "best places to live" to be compiled without including some value judgements? Surely if something is obviously an important factor, its better to at least attempt to make an objective appraisal of it than to simply ignore it completely?

ReputationRep:
    the thing about US healthcare, if you have money it is very very good. You dont have the huge waiting lists for operations like you do here, so that could have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)

This table IS ridiculous. For example, the "cost of living" index, which makes up 20% of the score, "is a guide to how much it will cost you to live in a style comparable to—or better than—the standard of living you’re likely enjoying in the U.S."... the top three countries are Iraq, Gambia and Afghanistan. I kind of think the extra security and lack of infrastructure in Afghanistan would somewhat offset the savings on slightly cheaper shopping.

If you read the "how the score is calculated" page the authors do give a disclaimer explaining why it's hugely biased to US readers.

And, as an aside, I wouldn't say the UK came 4th. I'd say we came joint 7th.
    I agree with the notion of a country being too hot but Norway's climate score is 7x better than the UAE's. I mean its only too hot for a couple months in the year, in the winter months it is absolutely wonderful, plus if it's too hot you can mostly stay in air conditioned areas so its not that bad.

I also agree with how ridiculous the whole thing is, but i still feel as though i should stick up for UAE as it is a great place to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    How can Austria's climate rank worse than ours?

Probably important to point out that we're joint 4th too

I call bull**** on the US's rankings as well; 100 on infrastructure + economy and 90 on health? Are they having some sort of laugh?
    Cheack the source!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    That's the most ridiculous set of statistics, it's trying to say the UK has a better economy than Germany, amongst other peculiar things ie. Luxembourg being below Romania and Brazil and on par with Jamaica. Also, the US is first - that's just ludicrous.
    Trying to put a quantitative value on a qualitative measurement (and one which is, arguably, completely subjective) is always going to end up quite ridiculous. My quality of life is affected by numerous factors, most of which no bloody 'ranking' has ever taken into account.

(Original post by Kowa)
    I'm British and just think that the ingrained anti-American jealousy on this forum is rather silly.
    I completely agree on that point, and think you're entirely correct to say that the US has arguably the best healthcare system in the world. However healthcare is simply one of those things that most British people cannot discuss in a rational manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Layabout)
    No, just obnoxiously laid out in a retarded, confused and badly considered way (much like the other aspects of your posts) so that it takes a long time to reply, and I will tell you to do something if it's me that it affects. This is a public forum, so do take into account the people who have to respond to your incoherant babble.
    i'll respond in any way I want to and won't take orders from someone on the internet I do not even know.

Sorry you're repeating the same fallacies and bull**** that even a three year old could see through about "Americans getting into top companies". It's lazy and vague, think harder please. The fact of the matter is that in almost everything American kids score lower than kids in Europe. And you went there once and now you stayed there for a year? Strange.
    You do realise you can go to America once and stay their for as long a period as your visa permits you too right? The fact I had family there to support me meant I could apply to stay there longer. Still, i've only been once to Las Vegas and cannot comment on America on the whole as the country varies massively. The reason I couldn't comment on the transport system is because the system in Vegas will be different to the system in New York which in turn will be different to the system in Michigan or any other state.

Yes they do include rapes, they don't include petty theft or drug possessions as violent crimes but neither does the USA. Have you actually looked at the relevent statistics and methodology behind them? I doubt it. The rest of your post is just you prattling on about unrelated or unsubstantiated bull****, completely irrelevent. And you completely misunderstood my point about race and I don't think you are capable of doing so, but to be fair it was poorly explained on my part and a bit of an unrelated tangent, forget I mentioned it.
    No they do not include rapes. I suggest you ask the ONS. Wow, you resort to insults rather than come up with a logical explanation for your argument.

Sorry, you know absolutely nothing. Hardly any of this is true mostly urban myths or just made up, most European countries have a far more progressive criminal justice system than we do. And in the USA a lot of criminals are taken off the street, but there's jsut another generation waiting to take their place, because it doesn't deal real issues and doesn't make anything better in the long term. - also they end up imprisoning a massive proportion of their population (largest in the world), which ends up costing them huge amounts of money.
    So you'd rather put a price on peoples lives? To save money, lets just let out prisoners early and therefore put more people at risk. You're view fails completely. The way you present your argument is if you would rather the government save money by releasing prisoners because keeping them in prison is too costly. This must be one of the only countries in the world where a football related assault can actually lead to you being imprisoned longer than someone who has raped another human being.
    I cannot get over the extreme irony of this, and I'd rather trust CBS than your rather naive opinions.
    You're getting your information from biased media outlets and not statistical data taken by legitimate agencies. The report you provided had about as much truth in it than anything that has ever been presented in the Daily Mail. News outlets over exaggerate things to sell papers, its their job. You're pretty daft if you believe anything CBS will tell you as they are disregarded totally by many Americans, just as Fox is.
    The system in the USA isn't that simplistic at all, very few people pay for it individually, it's usually covered by employers. To be fully covered in the same way you are in the UK you have to be employed by the very top companies; each and every time you visit the doctor - even with insurance - you will be paying something, and the cost is generally inflated massively in a shell game between health insurance companies and medical service providers, while the patients who pay their bills get shafted. The system is based on profit not health. How can you defend something so dishonest and inefficient? That fails large parts of society, and yet still costs the government more than health in any other developed country? It's also incredibly bad for the economy as it puts the companies who provide insurance at a competitive disadvantage as it costs them so much.
    Its very simple. My auntie has been through it all. How come then she is not in a top job yet manages fine even with a medical condition? Explain that to me please. Yes I agree the system is based on profit not health, just as car insurance companies base their quotes on profit and not the well being of the people within the car, or the car itself. How is it inefficient? The people who are willing to pay for the service get excellent treatment, i've witnessed it. Here you could have to wait hours to go to surgery and then brought back from theatre as something has held them up. In the USA everything in the majority of cases runs smoothly as you pay for what you get.

Have you ever been to the US to comment as most people over here who haven't been there haven't a clue what its actually like. Its the same with most places because the biased media in this pathetic **** hole of a country work with the government and want to keep everyone here. Look at the bad press that countries like Bulgaria and Russia get for Mafia yet when you actually go there, its nothing at all like that. Its just all media generated nonsense to sell papers and keep turning over profit yet some idiots in this country actually belief the fallacies that are printed in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Most people I know are pretty happy, yeah.
    Ignorance, or denial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Ignorance, or denial.
    lol

Are you not happy with your life Mr Rant?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.