Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    What's your replacement idea?
    Profits to be fairly shared amongst the workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I generally agree.

What about shareholders?

ReputationRep:
    I generally agree.

What about shareholders?
    One worker one share.

ReputationRep:
    One worker one share.
    What if you're a shareholder and don't work there?

ReputationRep:
    What if you're a shareholder and don't work there?
    Then you're not a worker thus not entitled to a share.

ReputationRep:
    Then you're not a worker thus not entitled to a share.
    So you'd close the stock market? (a good source of funds for all sorts of businesses)

ReputationRep:
    So you'd close the stock market? (a good source of funds for all sorts of businesses)
    Yes. Though we're getting off-topic here. I don't see how my utopian ideals are relevant.

ReputationRep:
    There's this thing called a salary, it already fills the role of compensation payed to workers for their services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    There's this thing called a salary, it already fills the role of compensation payed to workers for their services.
    And we know how that works, outsourcing so they get away with paying people 30p an hour.

ReputationRep:
    And we know how that works, outsourcing so they get away with paying people 30p an hour.
    Strawman alert.
    That's irrelevant to the UK. The average UK wage is £25,000 per year. UK workers are amongst the highest payed in the world. 3rd world countries don't enter the equation because you don't live in a 3rd world country.

ReputationRep:
    Strawman alert.
    That's irrelevant to the UK. The average UK wage is £25,000 per year. UK workers are amongst the highest payed in the world. 3rd world countries don't enter the equation because you don't live in a 3rd world country.
    They absolutely do enter the equation when British jobs are at stake.

ReputationRep:
    They absolutely do enter the equation when British jobs are at stake.
    They absolutely do not enter into this equation. You argued that British workers are under payed and that company dividends should only be shared amongst workers as compensation.
    I have argued that at £25,000 a year British workers are amongst the best payed in the world. Furthermore it would lead to a complete breakdown in the global economy as investors aren't to keen on working for a company in order to invest in one share in it.
    How much people in Africa and the Far East earn is irrelevant.
    Hence Strawman.

ReputationRep:
    They absolutely do not enter into this equation. You argued that British workers are under payed and that company dividends should only be shared amongst workers as compensation.
    I have argued that at £25,000 a year British workers are amongst the best payed in the world. Furthermore it would lead to a complete breakdown in the global economy as investors aren't to keen on working for a company in order to invest in one share in it.
    How much people in Africa and the Far East earn is irrelevant.
    Hence Strawman.
    Total breakdown of the economic system would be a good thing, we might actually progress as a society.

ReputationRep:
    Too many job cuts. Unemployment will soar. Private sector is not going to flourish with a few tax reductions and enterprise zones here and there, there is still a problem with credit in the banking system and business confidence. Increase in tax on oil companies will almost definitely be passed onto consumers despite what Osbourne says. Missed out on a big opportunity to put even a small extra levvy on the banks to rake in extra revenue. Poor hurt disproportionately as usual. I smell double-dip recession tehe.

ReputationRep:
    Good budget if and it's a big if, businesses are willing to invest to create employment. This is where the private sector needs to pull it's weight.

ReputationRep:
    Total breakdown of the economic system would be a good thing, we might actually progress as a society.
    How strong is society in Somalia?

ReputationRep:
    When it goes into the pockets of just a few individuals off the back of the hard work of thousands yes.
    A few individuals?? You do realise not every company is like Rothchild, yes?

You also realise pension funds invest in companies, ie people with pensions 'own' part of these companies you're saying arent allowed to give out dividends???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Good budget if and it's a big if, businesses are willing to invest to create employment. This is where the private sector needs to pull it's weight.
    There is no if unless demand exists. All companies supply to meet demand.

The budget is still good, since it makes it easier to do business.

Not enough, removing 100 pages from the tax code when we have over 12,000 pages - and some changes to tax actually added new pages, therefore there will be no overall difference.

Reduced red tape by £350 million when red tape costs business around £90bn a year, so a 0.4% reduction in it ... not enough.

I'm glad corporation tax is down 2% though, and also that income tax threshold has been raised to £8k (thanks to the Lib Dems).

I hope they do mere NI and income tax, although it does sound quite difficult to do.

Would like to see spending cuts doubled and the money used to cut taxes further on business/personal income, to encourage private sector growth. £4bn a year saved from withdrawing from Afghanistan would be a good start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Not enough, removing 100 pages from the tax code when we have over 12,000 pages - and some changes to tax actually added new pages, therefore there will be no overall difference.

Reduced red tape by £350 million when red tape costs business around £90bn a year, so a 0.4% reduction in it ... not enough.

I'm glad corporation tax is down 2% though, and also that income tax threshold has been raised to £8k (thanks to the Lib Dems).

I hope they do mere NI and income tax, although it does sound quite difficult to do.

Would like to see spending cuts doubled and the money used to cut taxes further on business/personal income, to encourage private sector growth. £4bn a year saved from withdrawing from Afghanistan would be a good start!
    Have more rep!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.