Horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    Horrible.
    What is?

ReputationRep:
    The budget for the ordinary worker.

ReputationRep:
    They appear to have offset everything they are saving by cutting public spending, by lowering taxes.

Seems proof enough that the cuts are unnecessary, seeing as we now aren't actually tackling this supposed crisis...

ReputationRep:
    The budget for the ordinary worker.
    Because the ordinary worker would rather they didn't have £250 extra take home pay?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's all a very simple plan

1) Claim cuts are necessary
    2) Lower taxes
    3) Go back to step one and repeat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    They appear to have offset everything they are saving by cutting public spending, by lowering taxes.

Seems proof enough that the cuts are unnecessary, seeing as we now aren't actually tackling this supposed crisis...
    Lowering VAT?
    Lowering duty on alcohol and cigs?
    Lowering tax for higher rate tax payers?
    Lowering stamp duty on houses?
    Lowering the bank levy?
    Lowering capital gains?

Oh wait, they were raised...

The tax take is to rise over the next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Lowering VAT?
    Lowering duty on alcohol and cigs?
    Lowering tax for higher rate tax payers?
    Lowering stamp duty on houses?
    Lowering the bank levy?
    Lowering capital gains?

Oh wait, they were raised...

The tax take is to rise over the next year.
    Lowering fuel duty.
    Personal tax allowance raised.
    Council tax frozen or reduced in England.
    Air passenger duty frozen.
    Road tax duty for HGVs frozen.
    Corporation tax reduced.

Nope, these are all happening.

Yes, the average person may well be more out of pocket overall. This support my point that the governments cuts are ideological, when instead of reducing the above taxes, they could just not cut in some areas. Take the reduction of council tax, they appear to be cutting council funding simply by cutting the tax levied for it. That isn't saving money, that's just flipping the statist/libertarian coin over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Because the ordinary worker would rather they didn't have £250 extra take home pay?

I thought it was £45... per year...

ReputationRep:
    Lowering fuel duty.
    Personal tax allowance raised.
    Council tax frozen or reduced in England.
    Air passenger duty frozen.
    Road tax duty for HGVs frozen.
    Corporation tax reduced.

Nope, these are all happening.

Yes, the average person may well be more out of pocket overall. This support my point that the governments cuts are ideological, when instead of reducing the above taxes, they could just not cut in some areas. Take the reduction of council tax, they appear to be cutting council funding simply by cutting the tax levied for it. That isn't saving money, that's just flipping the statist/libertarian coin over.
    They believe they'll raise more tax by cutting the rates.

We'll see.

People will be paying way more on tax on fuel than was forecast in June.

My council tax is up this year (ok only 0.1% but still)

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was £45... per year...
    http://listentotaxman.com/

All basic rate tax payers are £200 up because of the increase in the personal allowance. Then the NI rise is offset by the increase in the threshold - under £24k you're an NI winner, above you lose.

So on £20k you're £238 better off.

I'd say 'ordinary workers' (note not average) earn less, on £15k you'd be £288 better off for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

I wish we got £250 extra.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we got £250 extra.
    So you didn't want a budget that was good for the ordinary worker at all?

:s

Why don't you just say what you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you didn't want a budget that was good for the ordinary worker at all?

:s

Why don't you just say what you want?
    I want a fair budget which doesn't just care about the few buisnessmen or the ones who joined Cameron at his little comfy private school.

ReputationRep:
    I want a fair budget which doesn't just care about the few buisnessmen or the ones who joined Cameron at his little comfy private school.
    Surely it cared quite a lot about basic rate tax payers...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Surely it cared quite a lot about basic rate tax payers...?
    Has the Tories ever cared about the working class?

ReputationRep:
    Has the Tories ever cared about the working class?
    Who knows, but this thread is about the budget and you haven't managed to raise any points about how this budget was bad for 'ordinary workers' as you asserted.

They got £250 off their direct tax bill. The previous administration never managed anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Who knows, but this thread is about the budget and you haven't managed to raise any points about how this budget was bad for 'ordinary workers' as you asserted.

They got £250 off their direct tax bill. The previous administration never managed anything like that.
    Rather than looking at the Gordon Brown years, look at what Blair did. He got rid of the Section 28 homophobic bill (lets put it as it is) and he created a minimum wage, something which our current PM voted against.

Oh, and I'm sure that £250 will go a long way to people without a job. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rather than looking at the Gordon Brown years, look at what Blair did. He got rid of the Section 28 homophobic bill (lets put it as it is) and he created a minimum wage, something which our current PM voted against.

Oh, and I'm sure that £250 will go a long way to people without a job. :rolleyes:
    How did removing section 28 help ordinary workers...? Particularly given this is a thread about the budget...

How are unemployed people ordinary workers? For people who have earnt over £5k in the tax year it makes difference as JSA is taxable.

I'll give you the minimum wage one.

The main question though was how was this budget bad for ordinary workers - which is what you said...

ReputationRep:
    Dropping taxes promotes growth, which in turn promotes jobs, etc.

Understand what you're talking about before you criticise it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.