The Student Room Group

RAF Regiment Gunner

Hi there,

ive got a selection test next week, i have done alot of reserch on this tade, it would be very helpfull if you guys can give me tips or 'hints' on this trade.

what type of questions are ganna be asked?

I have one question that i am going to be stuck on if they ask it.

"why do you want to be a gunner"

I know why i want to be a gunner but i cant explain it. :confused:

Please help

my time is nearly here n i dont want to wait 6 months to sit it again

cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
danny
I know why i want to be a gunner but i cant explain it. :confused:

Tricky!

You just have to try and put it into words. As you say, you do know why you want to be one; we all know why we want to be the jobs we apply for. You have to try and remember what it was that made you go into that careers office. Think about what made you think about the RAF Regiment and not the Army. Think about the things that make it unique. You can even start going on about the history, or anything that might have inspired you.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a very eloquent answer. Hell, even a quick "I want to serve my country and the ethos/character/atmosphere/attitude of the RAF appeals more so than the Army/Marines/whatever" will do.

--------------

Edit to add: you do a few things which are quite different I suppose like GDT training; you might find yourself running CCS courses for aircrew, and be in a teaching appointment relatively quickly. Good thing to remember what's different about your choice vs the Army etc.
Reply 2
ahaa thats a very good point u have stated there "the History" how could i miss this very important point.

Any good sites on the 'history' on this trade?

Any more tips from other ppl will help
cheers
Reply 3
Wzz can you plz type hear what you would say if you was wanting to be a gunner in the raf, it might be difficult for you but if you can plaese try it would help considerably.

I just want to get the idea of how to give point across and try to get the interviewrs attention even 'suprise' him/her on the things i say.

so if you can plz Wzz
Reply 4
This is up to Wzz wether too or not, but I think you should try and do this yourself as a key thing everyone says is vital at OASC is being yourself - don't try and give answers you think they want to hear, be honest. By adopting someone elses reasons, if you like, you run the risk of lacking the conviction about why you want to be a gunner. Wzz offered some really good advice on this - what to thin about - so perhaps you should decide on your own reasons first?
Reply 5
Do gunners go to OASC? Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but what kind of selection do Gunners go through?
Reply 6
Just checked the website - don't think they do go to OASC - but what I was saying will apply to any interview you attend with RAF. Looks like an exciting job!
LouE3D
Looks like an exciting job!

Stagging on at the front gate of an air base? *yawn* lol
Reply 8
TomInPortsmouth
Stagging on at the front gate of an air base? *yawn* lol

"Imagine parachuting into a hostile airfield to make it safe for RAF aircraft; defending a base from air attack; or protecting our personnel from terrorists.

But the pre-para course, for selection for parachute training, that’s the toughest course you can do in the RAF. It sets out to wear you down over three weeks and to see how you work as part of a team. On my course, six of us passed out of 24, but receiving my parachute wings and joining the squadron was the proudest moment of my life."

Tut Tut Tom... do you not think that sounds fun? I know you don't get to do that every day, but still... :wink: ??!!
And if you're not in the parachute squadron then all you do is:
defending a base from air attack; or protecting our personnel from terrorists.

ie Stagging on with a HVM/rapier at the front gate.

Join the infantry if you want to actually have a decent role to fill.

Opinions of the RAF regt.
Reply 10
Think I'll stick to fighter control thanks... well, I hope?! :biggrin:
Reply 11
The problem then of course is that you'd have to be a Crap Hat, I'd rather be a psudo-soldier than hve to join the Army. And just to clear up the crux of your argument, it's not the RAF Reg's job to sit on the gate, it's shared between all the junior ranks.
Reply 12
I was under the impression it was merely members of the parachute regiment that called people crap hats? Therefore if he was joining as Reg he would still be a Crap Hat... but only in the eyes of those with a maroon beret!
Reply 13
could be, i thought it was a generic term for the sandbags?
Reply 14
Aye. Thankfully Officers don't have to do guard duty! Although all the saluting would get a bit crazy if they did...
Reply 15
Nope, pretty sure the only people that use the term are the Para's. Some sort o twisted reasoning behind it, I read it in a book the other day. Sort of made sense.
Reply 16
Lou3ed i guess your right, this is a road where i have to walk on it alone. Yes the job sounds very exciting i cant wait to start the training.

another phrase used for the gunners is "rock apes"
Reply 17
Yes it is... have a look on RAF website (not the careers one) - loads of info on there about what the Rock Apes have done and how they have done it, etc. Good luck with it all and I'm sure the whole 'why' thing will come together for you - I have the same trouble. Try writing down bullet points of what appeals, why you think it will be a good job them form the bullets (with a few additional words obviously) in to sentences - wham bam you've got yourself a paragraph on it all!

L :smile:
Reply 18
just had a look on the website. wot iv'e done is printed loads of info off the website and had a good read through it. i have highlited the main points and info, Now wot i am going to do is go into more details with the hilighted points.

Lou3ed if you dont mind me asking can u tell me which part of yorkshire ur from because i am from west yorkshire.
Reply 19
Well I've lived in East and West and now live in North... near Harrogate in west, Near Hull in East and am now in the north... mean anything to you? Just a note... don't call guns guns, they're weapons... was ticked off for that by various members of the different forces.

Sounds good what you are doing... how far down application process are you?

Latest