Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    ...Just a note... don't call guns guns, they're weapons... was ticked off for that by various members of the different forces...
    Unless of course it is a gun i.e Light Gun, AS90, 56lb Gun... In which case, call it a gun.

ReputationRep:
    I live in leeds, not to far away from harrogate. Iv completed the alitiude test and have sat 1 interview. there was 19 ppl in total applying for this trade, now there is only 11 left of us. i dont think they will get rid of enymore of us. but hey thats wot i think.

iv just got this last interview and hopefully if i get through tis well then the next satges for me is to go down to waddington for the training.

i go to gym like 3 times a week for swimming and alot of running. i am so determine to be a gunner i just know i will pass the training. Fingerz Crossed

lou3ed hav u applied for the RAF yet??

ReputationRep:
    Reme-bod "Unless of course it is a gun i.e Light Gun, AS90, 56lb Gun... In which case, call it a gun" - naturally!

Danny, Yes have OASC one week on Sun... just trying to fit as much info in brain as possible without it imploding and in a way that can actually think about it in some order - bit like a filing system? Training sounds good, I'm somewhere b/t 3-5 times at mo, mostly running and weights, etc. Did do some swimming but just don't have the time - was trying to fit in to lunch hours but only got 20 mins in that so started going to gym after 2nd job and after cadets (well, most the time).

You sound very confident and am sure you'll do great - very jealous about you training at Waddington - is where I would love to be, in case you hadn't guessed!

ReputationRep:
    Lou3ed im not trying to be funny or make myself look like an idiot, Ive just read through another post and it states:

"Right, well I may not be 100% certain on what branch to go for but I can still start some studying for OASC. So far I've been trawling the net for different things to study. Got things like:

A/C & Weapons
    MOD & RAF Structure
    Big wigs of the RAF
    NATO
    UN
    RAF mission statement and vision
    Current ops and deployments
    IOT course structure and content
    Roles/Mission of PJHQ
    Jointery within the armed forces
    The future of the RAF

do u think i will be asked question on all those topics as i am applying for a gunners trade.

co that sounds like alot of reaserch

ReputationRep:
    That sort of research is usually for Officers and Aircrew. But surely it wouldn't hurt for everyone to know about it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny)
    Lou3ed im not trying to be funny or make myself look like an idiot, Ive just read through another post and it states:

"Right, well I may not be 100% certain on what branch to go for but I can still start some studying for OASC. So far I've been trawling the net for different things to study. Got things like:

A/C & Weapons
    MOD & RAF Structure
    Big wigs of the RAF
    NATO
    UN
    RAF mission statement and vision
    Current ops and deployments
    IOT course structure and content
    Roles/Mission of PJHQ
    Jointery within the armed forces
    The future of the RAF

do u think i will be asked question on all those topics as i am applying for a gunners trade.

co that sounds like alot of reaserch
    Don't forget to find out how long the perimeter fence is at all RAF bases.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    Stagging on at the front gate of an air base? *yawn* lol
    Aw, you don't get the RAF Regiment doing that... unless you happen to be on ops, where doing your stint on perimeter security is no worse than doing your turn on similar in the infantry.

--------------

(Original post by KSpin)
    Aye. Thankfully Officers don't have to do guard duty! Although all the saluting would get a bit crazy if they did...
    Oooh, week 15 of old IOT or something like that used to be a week of live armed guard; so hold that thought, you might get a shot yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Aw, you don't get the RAF Regiment doing that... unless you happen to be on ops, where doing your stint on perimeter security is no worse than doing your turn on similar in the infantry.
    Yes but the infantry actually do something worthwhile when not stagging on in a sangar. The infantry actually get amongst the action, hence the casualties are mostly infanteers. A quick search on the MOD site shows one RAF gunner has died on TELIC....in an RTA.

So what do the RAF regt do when not stagging on?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the infantry actually do something worthwhile when not stagging on in a sangar. The infantry actually get amongst the action, hence the casualties are mostly infanteers. A quick search on the MOD site shows one RAF gunner has died on TELIC....in an RTA.

A couple of things from this then.
    1. If you don't want to get shot and injured/killed in action join the regiment.
    2. If you don't want to get injured/killed in a car crash join the infantry.

Personally, I think that I will stick to Nursing

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the infantry actually do something worthwhile when not stagging on in a sangar.
    Yeah, they get their heads down before they stag on again
    The infantry actually get amongst the action, hence the casualties are mostly infanteers. A quick search on the MOD site shows one RAF gunner has died on TELIC....in an RTA.
    Maybe so, but look at the ratio of Infatry Soldier : RAF Gunner. Just a single gunner will make a substantial percentage by comparison.
    And as for RTA... dead is dead. His family have still lost a love one, no matter how it happened.
    They get their heads down before they stag on again... just like their mates in green. Or maybe they provide Air Defence, like the Royal Artillery, or maybe they train rest of the RAF such skills as NBC, BFAT, SAA etc. Or maybe, just maybe, they stag on the gate again because they love it so much and their careers are meaningless because they didn't join the Army... I think not.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find a few personel have been killed in RTAs, not all inf either funnily enough :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

Well, I'm not going to get too involved in this; the fact that I think not being involved in the casualties is a good thing probably means we wouldn't see eye-to-eye there

A mate is a regiment officer, I'll ask him what his guys did on TELIC.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find a few personel have been killed in RTAs, not all inf either funnily enough :rolleyes:
    I work at the royal centre for defense medicine and you are bang on in fact the majority of military admitted are from RTA's. I was not trying to be smart, it doesn't matter if they are RAF, Navy, Army or civilian caught up in whatever is going on, I still look after them either way. Personally never looked after anyone from the regiment though.

ReputationRep:
    Good point about the ratio of inf:RAF gunner. I'll shut up now. Join the RAF regt, good oppurtunities as with all jobs in the armed forces, just not my cup of tea.

--------------

(Original post by Wzz)
    Well, I'm not going to get too involved in this; the fact that I think not being involved in the casualties is a good thing probably means we wouldn't see eye-to-eye there

A mate is a regiment officer, I'll ask him what his guys did on TELIC.
    Of course it's a good thing not being on the casualty list.

I apologise, my head was getting in the way of common sense and ended up taking it beyond light humoured banter, can I take of my kit now? lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I have to take it off, neighbours across the road are getting suspicious.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Go covert?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Whiskey Zulu Zulu this is Tango India Papa. Fire mission. Grid 763581. Direction 1280. Sofa mounted neighbours in downstairs front room. Neutralise for 2 minutes over.

Enough of the SAS (Saturdays and Sundays) bull, it's only Friday and I'm not due at the unit until 0700 tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    Lol

--------------

(Original post by KSpin)
    Do gunners go to OASC? Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but what kind of selection do Gunners go through?
    Nope, selection is done at AFCO level.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong, by all means correct me, but didn't the RAF reg come about becasue the Army basically didn't want to defend airbases any more?? The two ground forces have totally different roles so can't really be compared... RAF reg's primary role overall is to defend our Airbases, not go into combat as the Infantry do... perhaps that may have something to do with the fewer casualties also...?! I think that if someone wants to join RAF reg then they need to make sure they fully understand its role... may help them when they get asked (again, no doubt) "why RAF reg and not the Army...!"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.