Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The links below are a really good place to start to learn a little more about the RAF Regt:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Regiment

www.rafregt.com

Just as a point of note, the RAF Regt do not do anymore stagging on the gate as any other member of the RAF, this task is covered by MPGS (Military Police Guard Service) at a lot of units now and the ones that don't have MPGS have the duties shared between the rest of the station. The Raf Regt train the guards upto the required standard.

Also there is a good proportion of Ex RAF Regt in the SAS including an officer who is in a very high position and a rock who served in the Regt with me and he is one of the longest serving SAS members now. The RAF Regt is very highly regarded on Senior and Junior Brecon and they have had a lot of very good remarks about its members from all levels within infantry and Special Forces circles.

The Regiment guy that was killed in Iraq was on Active Duty protecting the oilfields in Southern Iraq. There was 2 CCAST moves with RAF Regt involved during Telic - one with the guy that died and another that the vehicle that an SAC Gunner and a FS Armourer hit a mine, the FS lost his leg and the Rock had a v serious lower leg fracture with other injuries which has ended his career.

In summary the RAF Regt do a very good and very worthwhile job, when operations kick off these guys are the first people that other members of the RAF go running to for information and help especially when there is a potential NBC threat.

Oh by the way at some units Junior Officers are now doing Guard Commander duties and guess who trains you to do these duties? yes! RAF Regiment.

ReputationRep:
    Good post - good to hear some factual info!

ReputationRep:
    Now now now, how could I let this go for so long.

No offense to those of you on here who want to go inf or green Army (best of luck to you) however you get a better standard of gunner then you do pvt in the army. Lets face it up until recently the Regiment had the same entry requirements as the Royal Marines, where as all you needed to join the inf was maybe 2 GCSE's if the AFCO took pity on you and you worked hard at RSC.You also seem to get stuck in a trade in the army ie you do a motar course, you are a motarman for years and years. In the RAF Reg you do the motar course (Sgt/Flt Sgt normally) then move on adding to your skill base, hence why you get good SNCO's in the Reg (not discounting the Army's SNCO I have met many a good WO in my time). Lets also not forget that the Inf batns are decreasing to 36 from 40 from 2007!

Also lets consider the Group 1 redundancy within the Infantry officers, it had so many applications that they have had to cancel Groups 2 & 3, clearly something is not right there.

RAF Regiments mission statement is " To provide force protection to the RAF in order to allow air operations to continue, anytime any place".
    Believe it or not yep that does mean at times stagging on inside the fence of Basrah international, it also means going out and ensuring that the area surrounding the airfield is clear of motars etc.

Futher more the RAF Regiment has more roles then you may think, FAC,JPR (where I was last week!!),Combat survival school, UN observers,JNBC Reg with 1RTR (which is set to expand soon)exchange tours with ITC Wales etc the list goes on. Just because the Regiment is loosing Rapier its doesnt mean its on the way out, not ever.

Lou - Close, the Regiment was formed because the Army was so overstretched during WW2 that it didnt have enough manpower to cover airfield defence or taking airfields, also the times it was called upon to defend airfields the support often arrived too late so the RAFADC (RAF Aerodrome Defence Corps) was formed and titled RAF Regiment (not alot of people know that!lol)

Mark - Selection is done at RAF Honington on PGAC, AFCO just sends the paperwork up and arranges dates.

Wouldnt pay much attention to anything posted on ARRSE, personally I think its a place for people to gob off with out thinking.

So after all that if you hadnt figured it out yet, yep im in the process of applying for a commission into the RAF Regiment. lol

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck in your quest. Sorry, I didn't realise - I was just replying to KSpin saying that gunners didn't go to OASC.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    I could be wrong, by all means correct me, but didn't the RAF reg come about becasue the Army basically didn't want to defend airbases any more?? The two ground forces have totally different roles so can't really be compared... RAF reg's primary role overall is to defend our Airbases, not go into combat as the Infantry do... perhaps that may have something to do with the fewer casualties also...?! I think that if someone wants to join RAF reg then they need to make sure they fully understand its role... may help them when they get asked (again, no doubt) "why RAF reg and not the Army...!"
    I don't think it's a case of 'not wanting to defend airbases anymore'. More a case of using the respective ground force to its full potential. RAF Regt are more clued up into the operational requirements of the guys they protect, whereas the infantry excel at section battle drills etc. (Having said that, I believe that the Army are now being used in some capacity to defend some airbases in Iraq/Kuwait)

I agree that comparing the RAF regt to infantry is a little unfair... they could also be compared to Royal Artillery, as their Air Defence role is virtuallly identical to their counterparts in the Army, be it with Rapier FSC (which are slowly being withdrawn from RAF and passed on to the Army), or HVM. The only difference is that the Artillery are required to be more mobile.

ReputationRep:
    not being funny guys, most of you have it wrong,.

The RAF Reg doesnt perform an air defense role as of this year, its done by the Royal Artillery

All RAF Regt personnel whether parachute trained or not aggressively patrol enemy territory and the areas surrounding bases - they are combat soldiers and see combat, just like the infantry units do,.
    the major difference is they do it with different aims in mind<>
    Army will do it to attack the enemy
    RAF wil do it in order to discourage attacks on their airfields.

The RAF Regt have actually been used in several assaults, so an ex colour sergeant of the para regiment of the army who saw combat in iraq tells me

Guys ive just applied

someone tell me if my fitness standards are good enough??

25 press ups in a minute
    50 ish sit ups in a minute
    5 chin ups max
    1.5 mile run in about 11 mins
    3 mile run in about 23 mins

is this good enoiugh for the RAF regiment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markelliott565)
    as of this year
    You might want to note that this thread is two years old ...

As far as fitness levels goes - I have no idea, but i'm sure I've heard somewhere that the infantry does the 1.5 mile in a maximum of 9.30, so you might want to be matching that, or at least matching whatever it is that they do?

Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    all these people knocking RAF Reg.

Remember if they don't defend bases (personell and equipment) there would be more fatalities in the confines of the base.

also no planes, choppers, vehicles to support ground assault ops!!

everyone has an important role in the big picture, no matter how small or big it is!!

ReputationRep:
    that bit about the infatry run in 9:30 is *******s

9:30 for the PARAS and MARINES
    10:30 for infantry
    12:45 for cavalry and artillery
    13:00 for all other arms and core

ive know found out RAF REG want 12:15 or less, which (on grass) is far from easy, they also want a 3 mile run in 24 mins or less.

ANYONE

please tell me how long the application process takes
    from civvy to beginning RAF Regt Training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markelliott565)
    that bit about the infatry run in 9:30 is *******s
    That's friendly. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected, it IS 10.30. However, I am, frankly, staggered by those slower times that you've posted for cavalry, etc - particularly given that the RAF recommends candidates be able to complete 3 miles in 21 minutes by the time they commence training for ANY branch. I also wouldn't consider 12:15 to be "far from easy"; Ginger Monkey recently clocked 8.57 for the mile and a half, and she's female. If I don't achieve 12:15 by the time I reach IOT I will feel that I shouldn't be there, and I'm only going Admin.

Average time from application to starting training for officers is around one year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.