Turn on thread page Beta

Would you ever marry someone who ... ? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you marry someone who is below your social standing?
    Yes
    84.56%
    No
    15.44%

ReputationRep:
    Love is unconditional, so social status is nothing to do with it

ReputationRep:
    Although I like to think I would, that as long as we were together nothing matters. However, it is abit of an issue, when you have different lifestyles and do different things and have different interests. I feel like I would have to adjust (even though for him i wouldnt mind). My ex even said, that he feelsl like I've had a better upbringing than him, and it didnt necessarily come in the way but it was there. Then again, I'm thinking of making a go of it. My current bf is of a similar financial standing and background to me, and i really like him, we get along so well. But i do feel like my ex would make me happier and cares for me that little bit more, than my current one. So i dont think its an issue. Egh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if I loved them I don't see why it would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah social status really matters.Marriage is meant for moneny ,contracts and stuff like that otherwise i don't see the point of getting married.
    Come on people !!It's 21st century and there exists no love !!!!:p:p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChristianL14)
    Love is unconditional, so social status is nothing to do with it
    Agreed.

Anyway, isn't it disgustingly arrogant and Victorian to refuse to marry someone on the grounds that they make less money than you do? Or haven't had the advantages that you've had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarity-)
    how ridiculous of course social status exits regardless of ideological stances, the barriers incurred though social status may be over rated - yer sure- and most people choose not to care about them ... but ill be dammed if they dont have any pratical application...

the fundamental structure of society is bulit on social status
    It exists only in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you married someone with a higher social status, for them you would be of a lower social status so quite obviously yes

Anyway, if you love them, then yes. Unless they are so poor you can't afford the marriage, in which case you wouldn't be able to get 'married', but wouldn't mean you didn't love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parthenon93)
    Would you ever marry someone who is below your social standing? And by social standing I mean family background, education, wealth etc. :confused: Does love really conquer all?

For example, if you are a doctor and the other person is a bartender or a mechanic?
    I think it depends largely on your own personal beliefs. A controversial topic! But to me it does matter, to some of my friends it does not and they find it hard to understand why it matters to me. I think it is largely what you believe and what you have been brought up to believe from influence by your peers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean there aren't any other criteria that I wouldn't care about. It's just social status doesn't really matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_missy01)
    Although I like to think I would, that as long as we were together nothing matters. However, it is abit of an issue, when you have different lifestyles and do different things and have different interests. I feel like I would have to adjust (even though for him i wouldnt mind). My ex even said, that he feelsl like I've had a better upbringing than him, and it didnt necessarily come in the way but it was there. Then again, I'm thinking of making a go of it. My current bf is of a similar financial standing and background to me, and i really like him, we get along so well. But i do feel like my ex would make me happier and cares for me that little bit more, than my current one. So i dont think its an issue. Egh

Previously I never considered it and had always tried to be quite open and not judge people on their social standing but I have personally noticed that social standing does affect the relationships I have with people both friends and partners. In terms of being in a relationship with a person, I find being with someone of similar social standing or someone whose aim is to improve their social standing through their job, is a much more fulfilling, happier and long lasting that going out with someone of a lower social class who does not understand my background, values or beliefs. So on the basis of experience should I have to consider in future, I would bear in mind their social standing (not necessarily their background) as an individual can change this themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever marry someone who is below your social standing? And by social standing I mean family background, education, wealth etc. :confused: Does love really conquer all?

For example, if you are a doctor and the other person is a bartender or a mechanic?
    Wealth and education doesn't determine social standing/class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarity-)
    if they were intellectually on the same level enough to actually formulate stimulating conversation, then yer i wouldn't care , if i really like them
    To a certain extent could it not be argued that a persons ability to converse intellectually may be linked to their social status?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I can't love so no.
    that's sad. why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    That happened to me once..

I divorced her, naturally :mad:
    You died and then woke up from the dead? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sure, as long as she's hot, interesting and independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adoringcarmine)
    that's sad. why?
    I don't know why really, i also don't feel compassion/sympathy/hope.

Perhaps I'm a psychopath?

ReputationRep:

Wow this has to be one of the most insulting questions ive come across on here.

(Original post by undermyskin)
    Previously I never considered it and had always tried to be quite open and not judge people on their social standing but I have personally noticed that social standing does affect the relationships I have with people both friends and partners. In terms of being in a relationship with a person, I find being with someone of similar social standing or someone whose aim is to improve their social standing through their job, is a much more fulfilling, happier and long lasting that going out with someone of a lower social class who does not understand my background, values or beliefs. So on the basis of experience should I have to consider in future, I would bear in mind their social standing (not necessarily their background) as an individual can change this themselves.
    could very easily be flipped around though couldnt it? Maybe you dont understand thier background values or beliefs.

(Original post by undermyskin)
    To a certain extent could it not be argued that a persons ability to converse intellectually may be linked to their social status?
    No i have known intelligent "lower class people" - Im no genuis but I would consider myself one of them. and ive known "higher class" people who are thick as two short planks to put it politely.

Just because you were lucky to be born into more money and a bigger house doesnt make you a better person intelectually or otherwise

ReputationRep:

Well I'd question whether a bartender would have similar interests with me and would be able to relate to me, but if so, then what would stop me? The most important thing is how the people you know and love judge you, not whatever societal stigma that could/could not be attached (imo, there is none, but I could see arguments against it)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care about wealth or class (although very posh accents ,...) as such, but a poorly educated or uncultured person probably wouldn't interest me that much (and there must be some level of correlation, distasteful as it is to point out).

ReputationRep:
    Are you dumb? A mechanic earns big money if they have a good reputation.

And anyway, yes I would.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.