Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a 3rd year LLB student at a top 5 uni, riding on an average 2.1. Do firms give tcs to international students, realistically (I will need a work visa once my student one runs out), and are certain firms more likely to take international students than others? I am trying to suss out my plans for next year and I'd really like to qualify in London given I've been at uni out here, but I had straight tc rejections last year and I'm scared about the same happening this year, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm an international student. Any advice would be amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by counterproductive)
    Hi,

I'm a 3rd year LLB student at a top 5 uni, riding on an average 2.1. Do firms give tcs to international students, realistically (I will need a work visa once my student one runs out), and are certain firms more likely to take international students than others? I am trying to suss out my plans for next year and I'd really like to qualify in London given I've been at uni out here, but I had straight tc rejections last year and I'm scared about the same happening this year, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm an international student. Any advice would be amazing
    Yes I know many who have gotten TCs in London, including those from Pakistan, Singapore etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Yes I know many who have gotten TCs in London, including those from Pakistan, Singapore etc.
    How about the not-so-Top Unis? I'll be going to the Uni of Manchester, how will that work out, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjo92)
    How about the not-so-Top Unis? I'll be going to the Uni of Manchester, how will that work out, do you know?
    Although I don't have any first-hand examples I imagine if you're any good it won't be a barrier to you. I know that Freshfields recruits from India, China, Australia, South Africa etc. on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't have any first-hand examples I imagine if you're any good it won't be a barrier to you. I know that Freshfields recruits from India, China, Australia, South Africa etc. on a regular basis.
    Thank you for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    I know that Freshfields recruits from India, China, Australia, South Africa etc. on a regular basis.
    Pretty unfair when the legal market is so competitive for British graduates, even those graduating with 2:1s from Oxbridge/Russell Group law schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marrythenight)
    Pretty unfair when the legal market is so competitive for British graduates, even those graduating with 2:1s from Oxbridge/Russell Group law schools.
    Freshfields is a global firm, it doesn't consider itself to be British

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.