Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Did anyone stop to think about why women get abortions at 24 weeks?

It's not like, "Tee hee, late-term abortions are so much fun!!! I'm gonna go prance over to the clinic and get another one!"

No woman wants a 24-week abortion. The few have them get it because there are serious risks to either themselves or the fetus, or they weren't able to get one sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Not in this case!

http://www.jjepson.org/
    Yes, even in that case too.

People often confuse cleft lip and cleft palate.

This foetus had the latter.

Cleft palate has a wide spectrum of severity and neither you nor I know the precise details of this case.

It is also important to emphasise that the person who brought this case was both a disability rights activist and a reverend, so hardly acting purely in the impartial interests of the "unborn".

According to this site, barely 100 abortions per year are carried out after 24 weeks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3252350.stm

(Original post by spk)
    Yes, even in that case too.

People often confuse cleft lip and cleft palate.
    I doubt the reverend has any such confusion, seeing as she was born with a cleft palate.

Is this more evidence of doctors' arrogance?

--------------

(Original post by spk)

Cleft palate has a wide spectrum of severity and neither you nor I know the precise details of this case.

It is also important to emphasise that the person who brought this case was both a disability rights activist and a reverend, so hardly acting purely in the impartial interests of the "unborn".

According to this site, barely 100 abortions per year are carried out after 24 weeks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3252350.stm
    The medical profession, by their own admission, do not know just how severe a case of cleft palate is, until after birth.

Someone has to act in the interests of the unborn. It is evident, in this case, that the medical profession certainly wasn't as they were the ones carrying out the destruction of the child.

Are 100 deaths more acceptable to you than say, 200?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I doubt the reverend has any such confusion, seeing as she was born with a cleft palate.
    Again, cleft lip and palate can be very mild to having practically no face. It is very likely that she did make just such a confusion, and probably quite wilfully as well. I wonder whether she ever considered the welfare of the patient when she decided to pursue this case?

(Original post by yawn)
    Is is yet again, a case of doctors' arrogance?
    Where does that come into it? This is about patient choice, not doctors ordering women to have abortions just for kicks and giggles.

(Original post by spk)
    Again, cleft lip and palate can be very mild to having practically no face. It is very likely that she did make just such a confusion, and probably quite wilfully as well. I wonder whether she ever considered the welfare of the patient when she decided to pursue this case?
    I reiterate - there is no irrefutable evidence on the severity of cleft palate prior to birth. Can you prove otherwise?

--------------

(Original post by spk)

Where does that come into it? This is about patient choice, not doctors ordering women to have abortions just for kicks and giggles.
    In this country, unfortunately people are not so empowered as they would be in say, the US. Because of a lack of empowerment and an implicit (maybe misguided) trust in the ability of doctors to wield a 'crystal ball' they tend to make their decisions based on the opinion of the doctor, sometimes in error.

ReputationRep:
    What do you propose then? Doctors refuse to give them advice?

(Original post by DanGrover)
    What do you propose then? Doctors refuse to give them advice?
    Of course not! Patients should be more encouraged to empower themselves to learn the facts, rather than rely totally on an opinion that might be just that, an opinon.

Much in the same way as our US cousins do, in fact.

There is far too much blind faith in medical opinion in this country, imo - but computer literacy especially with the overwhelming amount of knowledge obtainable from the internet will, in time address this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    Look at the information regarding a twenty week old foetus. It can survive outside of the womb with medical care, has a beating heart, developed brain and nervous system.... so on and so forth. Look at a few pictures and then decide on whether it is a human or not.

Don't get me wrong, the point you raise is valid, but I am sure that anyone who is willing to use logic and reason could say that a foetus at this stage comes so close to being a human being, or is one, that it should have its rights protected.
    i dont think a 20 week old foetus can survive outside the womb- its 24 weeks for a reason. if a 20 week old foetus could survive outside the womb, then the law would change (as it has in previous years, i think it was around 28 weeks and became 24..or something like that). the law says 24 weeks limit for a reason- it is highly unlikely that a foetus will survive outside the womb easily before 24 weeks.

btw- nearly all abortions are made around the first few weeks, so being all disgusted about a very few proportion who have abortions later on is a bit dumb. maybe you want to increase the limit rather than ban abortion all together?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Look at the information regarding a twenty week old foetus. It can survive outside of the womb with medical care
    You mean the information that you've just made up to support your cause?

There are no known cases of a 20 week old foetus surviving, ever.

ReputationRep:
    It sickens me to think of the men and women that would die to have a child, but through no fault of their own cannot conceive. The men and women whos babies have been stillborn, or had sudden infant death syndrome...... 200,000 babies.... why have they not used proper protection. they have KILLED theses babies because they have been given the option to be careless and then they will be 'treated' like its an infection. theses 200,000 babies could have had loving parents who are desparate to have a child instead of not being allowed the chance to live because people are sick and do not think of the consequences of unprotected sex.

--------------

(Original post by morningtheft)
    You mean the information that you've just made up to support your cause?

There are no known cases of a 20 week old foetus surviving, ever.
    actually there is. A foetus of 20 weeks has and can survive outside of the womb.
    I know this for I have had 2 children and have read enough information on things like this in case my babies were born early.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by squibalicious)
    It sickens me to think of the men and women that would die to have a child, but through no fault of their own cannot conceive. The men and women whos babies have been stillborn, or had sudden infant death syndrome...... 200,000 babies.... why have they not used proper protection. they have KILLED theses babies because they have been given the option to be careless and then they will be 'treated' like its an infection. theses 200,000 babies could have had loving parents who are desparate to have a child instead of not being allowed the chance to live because people are sick and do not think of the consequences of unprotected sex.
    It is nobody's responsibility to produce children for people who cannot produce their own.

Women are not broodmares. If you want a child and can't have one, adopt one of the millions of children around the world that are already waiting to be adopted. Don't expect someone else to carry out an unwanted pregnancy just so you can have your precious blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby.

ReputationRep:
    You are very immature.
    I was merely stating that why should women become pregnant because they were irresponsible and then think oh.... i'll kill it now.... I know people who have had abortion after abortion because they cannot be bothered to use contraceptives. My own sister for one and why..... because they can! Its wrong.
    I have my blonde hair, blue eyed baby already. well he isn't a baby but a toddler.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Immature, how? Because I have a different opinion from you?

Why don't you respond to the points I actually made?

I didn't mean "you" personally obviously. I meant people who are unable to conceive.

ReputationRep:
    yeah your very immature morningtheft... stop moaning...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    God forbid anyone have an opinion other than "SOMEBODY SAVE THE PWESHUS LICKLE BABIES!!!!!!!!11eleven"

ReputationRep:
    And you have not read my posts properly.
    You seem to think that a fetus of 20 weeks gestation has not survived outside of the womb when i have read of 1 case where it has. You think that no contraception is fool proof, yet I can assure you that the implanon.. which i have had twice, has had no reported pregnancies since it has been on the market for 5 or more years and millions use it. You seem to think you are a know it all when i can promise you from the unresearched statements i have read from you have been absoloute crap.
    You have also stated that women do not need to worry themselves over whether they practice safe sex or not, so basically your saying that its fair to not practise safe sex and then because it is so easily done, have an abortion each time and destroy her body as well as kill a fetus.
    If a women has practised safe sex, and an 'accident' occurs that i can to an extent understand, but if a women has been irresponsible because she cannot be bothered to use protection then why should that be fair?

and too the last post. You are sounding to me like a 16 year girl who feels she knows it all.
    I cannot wait till you grow up and have children. then maybe you will understand more.

My sister, 19 now had an abortion at 15 because my mother and father forced her too. She wanted that baby and now is literally mentally unstable. attempeted suicide several times...... thats another effect of abortions.

ReputationRep:
    Morning theft is right. You're all wrong.

Another case solved by DanGrover, attorney in practice!

ReputationRep:
    ^attorney my arse...

ReputationRep:
    LMAO your only 17 what the hell would you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squibalicious)
    LMAO your only 17 what the hell would you know?
    Shut up, or i'll have you impounded for being a girl.

Another case solved by DanGrover, attorney in practice!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.