Turn on thread page Beta

Admin assistant, student offered 40 hours per week, shall i take it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I've got say a month till my degree is over, but thing is this month is crucial because it's exam period! And I neeeed to revise, final year etc.

I applied to an admin job (as you guys know graduate jobs are so hard to get), and to my surprise he replied to me in a day! And I have an interview on Monday, if the interview goes well, I have to work mon - Fri 9-5pm, immediate start.

The salary is 14,500-16,000 per annum.

What I need advice on is, SHOULD I TAKE IT??? I think I can revise after i finish work (its right next to my house so wont be tired from travelling) so say 6-12 I revise everyday, and then 12-8 I get sleep, and work 9-5? Even though its hectic I know I can do it! Its just no social life for a month though LOL! And I also have weekends to revise, so what do you guys realistically think??

Please honest and serious answers! such a dilemma, i dont wanna be on job seekers, so im thinkin im gna take it, if i get it?????

ReputationRep:
    BUMP! Come on fellow students!

ReputationRep:
    Did you do mch coursework and dissertation? What I did when I was looking for work while finishing my degree is look at what marks I already had, and what percentage of the overall grade they were, then worked out what I needed in the remaineder and whether I could do work while revising too. I had mostly coursework so it worked out okay, but if you are mostly exam based it might interfer.

How much revision do you do normally? And after a long repetitive day in front of a PC, will you want to be revising when you get home? You probably won't miss out on much social life as most 3rd years will shut themselves away soon if they haven't already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    BUMP! Come on fellow students!
    When I did my undergrad degrees I was working part time while both, the 2nd degree I had a job that required a long commute to it..... even 1 day before an exam I still went to work. Did alright on it as in reality when it comes to revision you will realistically only absorb 2-4 hours of it per day.

So long as you understand the concepts, you should be fine.

Now I'm doing my MBA, as a perk of the job I do get study leave during the exam period.... I used it for the last Jan exams, didn't really find it to be helpful as end of the day instead of studying I only studied 1 day before the exam

I would say take that job, it isn't easy to find work for most graduates at this moment in time, hence a job in hand is better than one you *may* get i after graduation.... just make sure you don't have any bonds on the job which will prevent you from changing jobs should something better come along..... unlikely anyway for an admin type job to have such contractual bonds.

ReputationRep:
    It would be naive to think that you'll get home from a long day at work and just be able to absorb information and revise sufficiently.

But....jobs are hard to come by- so, take it. Try and get away with revising at work, and slack off as much as you can until exams are over. :P

ReputationRep:
    Do it! It's too good an opportunity to miss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hi all!

I've got say a month till my degree is over, but thing is this month is crucial because it's exam period! And I neeeed to revise, final year etc.

I applied to an admin job (as you guys know graduate jobs are so hard to get), and to my surprise he replied to me in a day! And I have an interview on Monday, if the interview goes well, I have to work mon - Fri 9-5pm, immediate start.

The salary is 14,500-16,000 per annum.

What I need advice on is, SHOULD I TAKE IT??? I think I can revise after i finish work (its right next to my house so wont be tired from travelling) so say 6-12 I revise everyday, and then 12-8 I get sleep, and work 9-5? Even though its hectic I know I can do it! Its just no social life for a month though LOL! And I also have weekends to revise, so what do you guys realistically think??

Please honest and serious answers! such a dilemma, i dont wanna be on job seekers, so im thinkin im gna take it, if i get it?????
    What website did you use to find that job, and where did you apply it for? Somewhere in London?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I did something similar with the AS exams and I didn't do aswell as I should of.

I've been offered overtime at work currently but declined it because I actuallly want to go to university.

Things sound amazing when you think about them but the month sounds crucial. Can you not negotiate the start date of the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    x
    Random but saw your blog, I have friends in Dulwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    What website did you use to find that job, and where did you apply it for? Somewhere in London?
    Loads of job going in London atm, especially down West. Even my workplace is recruiting at the moment..which seems to be rare.

Remember Westfield in Stratford is opening in a few months and they are already recruiting for people for the different shops in there.

Also Westfield White City, Covent Garden and Sloane Square/Chelsea area.

Baaaare places.

ReputationRep:
    not worth it, pay isn't good enough to risk you doing worse on your exams (which is very likely)...

ReputationRep:
    Well it kind of depends how much you already know for your exams, how much they're worth towards your degree, the grades you've already got.. etc.
    For example, my third year exams will only be worth ~5% of my overall degree, so if it was me, I'd take the job because you don't know when you're going to be offered another one- particularly because the pay is fairly good as well!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would focus on the exams for now and then worry about work. You stressed how important this month is yet you're considering jeopardising it all to work full time before finishing your degree?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou guys for your responses!

My disso is in for a few days, and worth 2 modules (40 credits) according to my supevisor its around a 2:1, as she keeps saying "very good" etc.

The others, well 1 exam is 100% the other three are 60%....I think, if I take it, I will be able to do it, nothing is impossible (at the end one of the modules, lowest grade will be dropped).

Even though, I suck at revision and always leave it to last min lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes London, every single day I go to google, type "jobs in london" and im on this like a hawk, and since then I have had 3 interviews and thats from 100's of applications, hard work dude, but keep trying, I'm still trying aswell!

ReputationRep:
    IM REALLY WORRIED about my interviewww

this is my first real full time job interview ahhhh, I hope he's nice (unlikely lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    IM REALLY WORRIED about my interviewww

this is my first real full time job interview ahhhh, I hope he's nice (unlikely lol)
    Just be confident?

All my interviews have been formal, but if you're confident and funny you can make them into really informal conversations. trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take it.

You won't be able to perform at your best if you're working full time.

ReputationRep:
    If you wasn't a girl, I wonder if you would of got such a quick reply or even got a reply! Anyway, take it!

ReputationRep:
    Just be confident?

All my interviews have been formal, but if you're confident and funny you can make them into really informal conversations. trust me.
    Thanks =)

Im gonna try and negotiate less hours with him if possible , or maybe work there till I find better hours somewhere else, which i'm trying to find right now.

As for others who have said don't take it, I can't afford to do that, I really can't at this moment in time, this opportunity for me cannot be missed in terms of money and everything (I do NOT want to be on job seekers when I leave uni), i'm not gonna wait until after I graduate when 10000s of other graduates are applying and i'll have 0.1% chance of getting a job, i'm already lacking experience. I'm just gonna have to put my heart, soul and mind into everything over this month and get organized!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.