Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sexual preference chemical found!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12825688

I'm actually happy about this and I hope they can prove that it works the same way with humans because Im tired of hearing my friends saying that you can choose to be gay. I never thought we could and now we could be one step closer to end their stupidity.

What do you think?

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I care, because I've always known I'm straight and never had an issue with sexual preference.

ReputationRep:
    ..for Mice.

ReputationRep:
    1. Shooting you in the brain makes you dead. Doesn't mean death is always caused by being shot in the brain. Similarly, apparently killing off serotonin can change rat sexual preferences, doesn't mean sexual preferences are caused by serotonin.

2. Rats did not become discriminately 'homosexual'. They were keen to have it off with both males and females.

3. Rat sexual selection is largely pheremone based. Humans not very much so.

4. Killing off the production of serotonin probably made them super horny (see #2) and willing to shag anything as opposed to strictly 'homosexual'. Looking at their results, while male/male shaggery went up, male/female was nearly at ceiling height before knockout, and hit ceiling height after knock-out.

So.. Yeah. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay, and whilst it's not a choice, if a chemical is found to be the key, or perhaps, a gene it would be bad, before you know it, there will be anti-gay drugs or couples screening their children for gayness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shruikalta)
    I'm gay, and whilst it's not a choice, if a chemical is found to be the key, or perhaps, a gene it would be bad, before you know it, there will be anti-gay drugs or couples screening their children for gayness...
    But we could shoot up all our straight crushes with the drugs to make them gay. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    If it is down to chemicals that means it can be treated and cured, huzzah another money making scheme for the big pharmaceutical companies!

I can see the tv adverts already...

Mom, Dad, I have something to say to you... I'm gay!

*Gasp*

You there! Stop, don't panic! Homosexuality can be cured. Take Prozac, it'll boost your child's serotonin levels making them straight once more!

This advert was brought to you by the Eli Lily pharmaceutical company.

ReputationRep:
    'Experts have warned about the dangers of drawing conclusions about human sexuality.'

I guess you didn't read all of it.

"At this time therefore any potential links between serotonin and human sexual preferences must be considered somewhat tenuous."

even so

i wonder if gay people will become extinct someday

weird

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've always wanted to be bisexual....and now thanks to this chemical I can be or maybe instead I'll give it to my gf, and we can have a threesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    Yes I've always wanted to be bisexual....and now thanks to this chemical I can be or maybe instead I'll give it to my gf, and we can have a threesome
    Wait until she dumps you and goes off with another women!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    Wait until she dumps you and goes off with another women!
    nah, I'll take the chemical and turn gay before that happens

ReputationRep:
    Fail. You clearly haven't read it properly considering they state that there is no proven correlation between homosexuality and serotonin levels in humans.

Stupid cow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    Stupid cow.
    Well, someone has anger issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    But we could shoot up all our straight crushes with the drugs to make them gay. :sexface:
    haha XD Modified animal darts just aimed at Olivia Wilde. I SHALL GET YOU OLIVIA. ONE DAY. I PROMISE. :love:

ReputationRep:
    This is a theory that I think is fairly probable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innate_bisexuality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shruikalta)
    haha XD Modified animal darts just aimed at Olivia Wilde. I SHALL GET YOU OLIVIA. ONE DAY. I PROMISE. :love:
    Olivia Wilde in House :coma: she makes me think straight-thoughts. :sogood:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.