The Student Room Group

Which A Levels require mass-memorisation?

I was just interested to know of the Alevels you think need lots of memorising as supposed to actually understanding the subjects and applying them well? Especially out of the Sciences.. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry, just a massive massive crappy memory test.
Reply 2
Psychology :smile:
:hmmm: personally ill say biology but it becomes much easier if u break in down into your notes
chemistry is a little bit less but a lot of understanding

:biggrin:
Reply 4
Biology, if you compared my biology, chemistry and physics books you would see that:

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Physics

By far
I found that AS Biology was all just memorising facts and remembering how to word them correctly... Absolutely hated it!
Biology AQA is mass learning to an extent. There is a lot to learn, but this alone will get you a C/B, to get an A/A* understanding is needed.

Chemistry AQA is less learning, but lots of understanding. Without good understanding you'll be lucky to get a D.

Physics OCR is just plain boring (dropped for A2)

Economics is little learning, and lots of application. I really enjoy it.

hope this helped.x x x
Reply 7
Original post by AtomicMan
Biology, if you compared my biology, chemistry and physics books you would see that:

1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Physics

By far

Thanks, I'm deffo choosing Biology then, I love cramming :P
Reply 8
Well, lots of them but I teach Textiles Technology and it requires a huge amount of memorisation of masses of facts on all sorts of things as well as application of those facts. But that's waht you get for studying an 'easy' subject.
Reply 9
Biology = Memory test
Also Psychology.

Chem/Physics/Maths require understanding
Languages.
Original post by Aminaubah

Cramming will not work with Biology. I don't care how you crammed for your GCSEs and got A*s, it won't work with A level Biology.
Reply 12
pretty much all of them but Biology is clearly numero 1. However there are some mechanisms in Bio that can be learnt easier if understood, i like chem better coz u can learnt stuff but understanding what the purpose of a process rather than blindly following the steps as in bio
Reply 13
Generally all the subjects will have some key content to memorise (obv). Highest application is obviously maths, and probably economics too.
As for the sciences, Biology has a lot of content to cover, though they are generally easy concepts.
Chemistry requires a lot of memorisation which is generally harder I'd say - you need to learn equations, conditions, formulas and mechanisms though the content isn't too difficult, but definitely more difficult than biology.
Can't really comment on physics as I don't do it, but my friends find it ok, apparently it doesn't take as much work as chem.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Cramming will not work with Biology. I don't care how you crammed for your GCSEs and got A*s, it won't work with A level Biology.

:bawling:
Well I don't do sciences but history can be pretttty hardcore...
i'd say all, but from my own experience i'd say psychology and biology :/
Reply 17
biology by a mile
Art.
Reply 19
Original post by Aminaubah

depends how you define cramming I personally make sure i understand the basic stuff then spend a few weeks memorizing the facts and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest