Turn on thread page Beta

Which A Levels require mass-memorisation? watch

ReputationRep:
    CHEMISTRY!! unit 5 for aqa is a hideous amount of learning colours, trends, definitions and ive not even been taught all the content yet!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicMan)
    Biology, if you compared my biology, chemistry and physics books you would see that:

1. Biology
    2. Chemistry
    3. Physics

By far
    Physics has the redeeming factor of having a lot of maths in it(yes that is a redeeming factor!)

So i find physics easier than biology which is just one giant mess of memorisation, i didn't understand half the stuff i put on the piece of paper in january but got an A in unit 4 biology when everyone around me was getting B's and C's.

Biology really isn't that fun at a-level.

ReputationRep:
    A2 LAW - i had to learn over 300 cases, including facts and years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Art.
    :whip:

Psychology is a total slut for memory - a lot of boring tripe

ReputationRep:
    uhmmm curry shop training does require alot of cramming but i must say corner shop training is the toughest by far ! !! !! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farrukhkhan01)
    uhmmm curry shop training does require alot of cramming but i must say corner shop training is the toughest by far ! !! !! !
    LOL, I'm planning on studying any of those any time soon. Look too hard! :headhurts:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    BIOLOGY!!! it's SO dull, if I didn't have biology I'd have so much less work

ReputationRep:
    For me it's Chemistry - ( help me D: ), Biology - fun stuff to cram and Psychology - easy and straight forward enough. xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised noones mentioned geography yet. There's a bit of understanding but a lot of case studies to memorise which are examples to use in essay questions. Without putting them in you struggle to get a C.

ReputationRep:
    Biology requires the most memorising in terms of content....but when you sit the exams you realise that half of the material is actually synoptic and that only a small chunk of stuff you revised for has actually come up (from my experiences with OCR that is ). Chemistry requires much less revision and much more consolidation of principles- this is much less time consuming.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Psychology and Economics to an extent at A2, it all hinges on an essay and a data response which isn't structured as nicely as they are at AS. No nice little multiple choices which somehow jog memory. (AQA.)

ReputationRep:
    Psychology. It is just a memory test, that's it. Such a bad way of teaching it, they need to change it.

Also, I know it's not one of the sciences but law is even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Parts of chemistry are aswell but if you don't understand what you're memorising it's hard to blag your way through as you have to explain stuff . . . plus there's a lot of gcse maths involved which is good for me.

Like others i've heard psychology is a big one for just regurgitating information, that's why i don't think many uni courses like you to have it, unless you're doing something such as psychology courses, as they want to know you can grasp concepts and be able to fully understand them.

ReputationRep:
    From subjects I take, Psychology and History involve inane amounts of memorisation. Although it's easier with Psychology, as questions often come up on most (if not all) topics in the syllabus. The same can't be said for History when they condense over a hundred pages of facts/knowledge into three possible questions in the exam.

Fun.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.