Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you cope when your relationship isn't going great? watch

Announcements

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half and we love eachother. At the moment, it isn't going great. We're both very stressed out with uni. He doesn't make a lot of time for me and we're not talking to eachother very much apart from hey hows it going texts. He has alot more work than I do, but it's really getting to me. I've spoken to him about it and he's reassured me that he does love me but it's just a tough time at the moment. This relationship has been nothing but fun, loving and passionate and it's hard to accept that it kind of sucks at the moment.

I try to be there for him but he's so tired and stressed and irritable. I don't want to break up over this, but there's months to go until all this work/exams will be over. I don't know what to do. I'm a very sensitive, affectionate person and I'm finding it hard to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.t-shirthumor.com/Merchant...ze/gapr_lg.gif and man up.

ReputationRep:
    Take a break from each other. Clearly you don't have enough time for each other at the moment. There's no point being together if you're not seeing each other much and are getting on each others nerves.
    Things will only get worse.

ReputationRep:
    you could ask him to make a spot for you each week when you can see each other and do something. and that might help you get things back on track

ReputationRep:
    The remedy to every rough patch in my relationship is to get myself over to my partner and spend some quality time with him. Calls and instant messaging just aren't the same as being able to touch and hold someone.

ReputationRep:
    chill out

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the ask for a certain time each week which is 'your time' which can't be taken over by needing to work. You can't be working 24/7 so an evening once a week won't harm. Also, it's just a hard spot in life, try to hang out with friends or something if you are feeling the need for attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half and we love eachother. At the moment, it isn't going great. We're both very stressed out with uni. He doesn't make a lot of time for me and we're not talking to eachother very much apart from hey hows it going texts. He has alot more work than I do, but it's really getting to me. I've spoken to him about it and he's reassured me that he does love me but it's just a tough time at the moment. This relationship has been nothing but fun, loving and passionate and it's hard to accept that it kind of sucks at the moment.

I try to be there for him but he's so tired and stressed and irritable. I don't want to break up over this, but there's months to go until all this work/exams will be over. I don't know what to do. I'm a very sensitive, affectionate person and I'm finding it hard to deal with.
    Are you at the same uni?

I think that as long as you both still enjoy spending time with each other and make an effort to do so, it should be fine. Clearly exams do take priority, but everyone has time to do other things even when revising, so maybe you should agree on an acceptable minimum time to be spent with each other every week. It's a little silly being in a relationship and never seeing each other. Your boyfriend should be able to relax and destress when he's with you, even if it's just for an evening at home with a dvd. Make sure you do things together than take his mind off work - you want to be able to talk about other stuff too and not feel like work matters the most even when you're together.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not a long distance relationship and they don't set aside personal time (no matter how small) for you, they've lost interest. Sorry.
    If it's long distance, it sucks, but that's how it goes when you signed up for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I find it hard but get on with all the things Ive been neglecting when Ive been focusing on him and sooner or later it starts to get better again...

But Im veeryy bad at this!

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my bf through part of college and through university, he's been doing his undergrad and masters at a top university on a course with a very heavy workload, and yet we are still able to see each other twice a week, every week and get all our work done and our grades up. It's all about a compromise. I know I'll be seeing him on one day of the week so I make sure I get my work done in time to allow myself to take that day off to be with him.

You've both got to be willing to make that compromise otherwise things won't work out between you, but you must give him space too. Keep going with the relationship, it would suck to give it up because you're stressed, but don't go on a break. Breaks are never a good idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.