Turn on thread page Beta

MONEY POLL: How easy is it to live off loans/grants without a job at all? watch

• View Poll Results: Okay, how easy is it to live off just grants and loans?
    Easy. I got more than enough, and was fine.
    28.57%
    I had to skimp a bit, but it was okay if I budgeted.
    40.00%
    Not cool. Had to get a part time job.
    5.71%
    Awful. Had nowhere near enough money.
    25.71%

ReputationRep:
    For augments sake, say max. loans and max. grant. How, personally, do you feel it is/will be like to live at Uni without getting a part time job too?

I'm applying in a year, and am very curious what you think.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you're living, I live in London without a job and as long as you don't go crazy you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I have more than enough I'm going to get a job over the holidays as now I'm moving into a house I'll be paying more out, but I should be fine over the term. I do have a budget, but I don't need one.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty easy to be honest, and I live in London and have a good lifestyle. It all depends on the price you're paying for accommodation. Luckily I have a cheapish room

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your rent. I managed it in first year, though I technically forewent food in favour of a crate of carlsberg every 2 days & a pack of crackers 1/week, so that may have had something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Letteh)
    For augments sake, say max. loans and max. grant. How, personally, do you feel it is/will be like to live at Uni without getting a part time job too?

I'm applying in a year, and am very curious what you think.
    I didn't qualify for a large grant so the total amount of finance I received did not cover my rent so it was hard.

ReputationRep:
    I get £2,000 a term between grants and loans and I had a bit of back up money.
    I've managed fine. I always go a bit mad at the start of term with spending when I've just had my loan and have to budget near the end. I think a lot of my spending was on stuff like printer, laptop, suitcases and not just clothes and alcohol lol!

I wish I'd stuck to a budget from the start though because it's horrible when you're 6 weeks away from the end of term and realise you've got about £40 a week. I haven't needed an overdraft either though so that's good!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on several things. I get the full grant and my rent isn't bad at all, so simply getting by is quite easy. I can't afford to really go out much though. I go to the pub once a week and that's all.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if you're parents earn over £54k you get about £3600, which is the max.

If your parents earn under £40k roughly you can get £4400 or more as well as grants. More the lower the household income is.

It's nice to see poorer background students not working hard but blowing it all on partying whilst you are the one studying and getting no aid from your parents. If the government want to assume they ARE helping me they should put it in ****ing writing and pass legislation that says they MUST send me the extra money! They look into their accounts every ****ing year so maby they can see that no money comes my way....****ing tossers.

Wasting away here!

*tummy rumbles*

Yea.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be eligible for the the full grant and loans but I'll definitely be working, as well as having some money saved before I go. I live far beyond my means, always have and always will, so I'll need all the money I can get my hands on. It depends if you can budget, and if you know how to say no to going out or saying no to a new pair of shoes etc... I can't do any of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    It depends, if you're parents earn over £54k you get about £3600, which is the max.

If your parents earn under £40k roughly you can get £4400 or more as well as grants. More the lower the household income is.

It's nice to see poorer background students not working hard but blowing it all on partying whilst you are the one studying and getting no aid from your parents. If the government want to assume they ARE helping me they should put it in ****ing writing and pass legislation that says they MUST send me the extra money! They look into their accounts every ****ing year so maby they can see that no money comes my way....****ing tossers.

Wasting away here!

*tummy rumbles*

Yea.
    Oh boo hoo.

Most of us 'students from poorer backgrounds' don't spend it all on partying so don't generalise to get sympathy.

I get the full loan and grant because I don't have parents as a back up and no, it's not enough to cover rent and food for the entire year which is what I need it for. So yeah, there are always people worse off than you are so stop complaining about what others get and concentrate on your own life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Oh boo hoo.

Most of us 'students from poorer backgrounds' don't spend it all on partying so don't generalise to get sympathy.

I get the full loan and grant because I don't have parents as a back up and no, it's not enough to cover rent and food for the entire year which is what I need it for. So yeah, there are always people worse off than you are so stop complaining about what others get and concentrate on your own life.
    No, all of you don't, where was it stated otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    No, all of you don't, where was it stated otherwise?
    It was a clear generalisation.

Like I said, there are people worse off than you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you live.
    I live in a 39 week let with ensuite (£110ish a week) at the University of Warwick. My student finance barely covers my rent, I get £35 a week for parents for food and laundry and use my own savings for going out.

I know people who live in 30 and 39 week shared facilities (£70ish a week) and have a lot more money than me, their student loans pay for pretty much everything.

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt do it. i get about £1600 per term i think, not including bursaries which i am STILL waiting for my uni to sort out.
    i have a job at the weekends and i get as much overtime as possible.
    i am a ridiculous human being though, i'm literally not able to stick to a budget. as soon as i get money, i spend it.

so it probably could be done, i just am incapable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    It was a clear generalisation.

Like I said, there are people worse off than you.
    And there are kids starving with HIV with hours to live.

So if we're gonna play the ''my life sucks more than yours''' neither is going to win.

ReputationRep:
    And there are kids starving with HIV with hours to live.

So if we're gonna play the ''my life sucks more than yours''' neither is going to win.
    I don't recall complaining about my life to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the useful replies guys
    I'm probably going to get a job in the summer when I'm home but term time I'm going to try and budget!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Letteh)
    Thanks for all the useful replies guys
    I'm probably going to get a job in the summer when I'm home but term time I'm going to try and budget!
    Another thing to look at is university bursaries. I had the maximum loan, grant and maximum Oxford bursary. That was more than enough money the first two years but only just enough to cover the third year, when the rent went up considerably. (That said, a lot of money went on takeaway food, due to being too ill to look after myself properly :o: )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.