Turn on thread page Beta

Seriously, why don't we conquer anymore watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I see you cut out the bit about you being a militry hero, must of hit the nail on the head there.

I said what does it matter to you as a civilian to set myself up for you joining the army and becoming a BIG HERO.
    no????? whats becoming a war hero got to do with conquering a country and putting it under British rule. A country like Iraq needs to be colonised and so do alot of african countries because they're dysfunctional. Like i said lookn how great south africa turned out after colonistaion, hell even zimbabwe used to be a nice place to live, now its not under european rule anymore its all gone ****ed up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    OP said conquer countries...not try and destroy an entire religion/making a 'perfect' race... so stfu talking about Hitler
    exactly, hitler commited genoicide against his own citizens (the jews in germany) im not talking about genocide im talking about putting a country under British rule if its too dysfunctional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    whats with all these faggy "peacekeeping missions" like Iraq and Afghanistan and now libya. **** that, the Romans didnt just go somewhere to help out and keep barbarians from slaughtering everyone, they made it theirs and conquered it, now if libya and iraq are too retarded to run a country then we should go in full force, and make it British build a proper infrastructure with the same system as the mainland uk and rename it to something better. Look at south africa, it was a great place to live after we colonised it and built an infrastructure, now the ANC are in control of it and its going to hell.
    Umm do you actually study classical civilisation? Because I do, and I can tell you that they went after other developed countries of the era, constantly battling Egypt for example. Anyway the reason is we've evolved from the boneheaded "ME WANT COUNRTY" attitude we had before. Can't we just make Britain Great again instead of trying to poke our noses elsewhere grabbing other countries?

ReputationRep:
    exactly, hitler commited genoicide against his own citizens (the jews in germany) im not talking about genocide im talking about putting a country under British rule if its too dysfunctional.
    I guess it is very unfeasible. We're in debt as it is, it'd be several years before we made these countries functional again and we'd have to commit a lot of time/money to improve the infrastructure, economy etc before the country could support itself.

I agree though it would be good to turn some of the poor countries around...but then again we live in an era where certain countries have nuclear weapons (where as back in the days they didn't), so I'm sure we'd aggravate someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Umm do you actually study classical civilisation? Because I do, and I can tell you that they went after other developed countries of the era, constantly battling Egypt for example. Anyway the reason is we've evolved from the boneheaded "ME WANT COUNRTY" attitude we had before. Can't we just make Britain Great again instead of trying to poke our noses elsewhere grabbing other countries?
    Agreed...we should worry about this country first

ReputationRep:
    People are already complaining (unjustifiably) about spending for the Olympics. Can you imagine how much people would complain if funds were diverted to rebuild some other country's infrastructure somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    People are already complaining (unjustifiably) about spending for the Olympics. Can you imagine how much people would complain if funds were diverted to rebuild some other country's infrastructure somewhere?
    well since it would be under uk rule you could move there if you wanted to

ReputationRep:
    no????? whats becoming a war hero got to do with conquering a country and putting it under British rule. A country like Iraq needs to be colonised and so do alot of african countries because they're dysfunctional. Like i said lookn how great south africa turned out after colonistaion, hell even zimbabwe used to be a nice place to live, now its not under european rule anymore its all gone ****ed up!
    Yeah it was a great place for the 3 black families being crammed into a single matchbox house. Or for the land of black farmers to be confiscated, or to be forcibly removed from their home and moved to the 'non-white' areas, being split up from their families etc....yeah that was great.

Present Day South Africa/North America/Australasia was a great place for the native tribes to live before colonisation.

Have you been to present day SA?

What is it to you or anyone else if places like Iraq are dysfunctional? Let them solve their own problems. They don't need British rule to form a government

ReputationRep:
    lol the age of imperialism is clearly over. There would be uproar if Europe/America started establishing overseas colonies (especially from the rising star, China).

ReputationRep:
    well since it would be under uk rule you could move there if you wanted to
    Er to Afghanistan? No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, conquering country after country creates enemies...and we've got enough of them already. To continue putting our noses in Middle Eastern affairs is bad enough, but to conquer could become suicide. It would greatly increase hate to the west and terrorism would likely increase.
    I can see why you say what you say OP, but its not gunna happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    I've been doing a project on the Scramble for Africa today, and from that I'm pretty sure that imperialism has maaaany many negatives. It's so much less simple as the OP made it sound.
    Ive been doing an essay on the Scramble for Africa today aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to conquer savages abroad when you can't even tame your own chavs?

ReputationRep:
    We don't have a navy/airforce/anything anymore.
    Plus we'd have to make a partnership with the French, which means we'd surrender and/or go into things too quickly and upset the Arab League :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    Why would you want to conquer savages abroad when you can't even tame your own chavs?
    thats who we'd be sending to conquer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Ive been doing an essay on the Scramble for Africa today aswell.
    Ha! How's yours going?

ReputationRep:
    Because the average Joe doesn't want their country to go to war and annex countries. People don't like mass deaths, or increases in tax to fund wars. So it would be political suicide for a party to do so.

The only reason it happened in the past was because;

1: Society was run by the elite, who WOULD gain wealth from wars and didn't care if a few poor people died for their glory.
    2: It was a dog eat dog world in the past. The only way to keep your country safe was to show a strong arm.

Also in a democratic age, a country is much more together and have a national identity and pride. Where as in the past commoners didn't care who ruled them because it was all the same to them, now people are more together and will strive for there independence. An example of this is Napoleons conquest of Spain. Common people did not want to be ruled by France, so they continued to fight, even after Napoleon had won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    lol, true speak

ReputationRep:
    OP you must want more immigration right?

ReputationRep:
    whats with all these faggy "peacekeeping missions" like Iraq and Afghanistan and now libya. **** that, the Romans didnt just go somewhere to help out and keep barbarians from slaughtering everyone, they made it theirs and conquered it, now if libya and iraq are too retarded to run a country then we should go in full force, and make it British build a proper infrastructure with the same system as the mainland uk and rename it to something better. Look at south africa, it was a great place to live after we colonised it and built an infrastructure, now the ANC are in control of it and its going to hell.
    Easy, everythings more complex now. That phrase pops to mind, in this day and age the pen is mighteir than a sword.
    Go study History it will all make sense to you. Behind the large curtains the world is actually going crazy, it is probably more chaotic than ever before.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.