Turn on thread page Beta

RBS or Commerzbank? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have two offers, not sure which one to take.

RBS, Credit Sales, £60000
    Commerzbank, Interest Rate Options Trading, £45000

I have a preference of Trading over Sales but could potentially switch once at RBS (did my internship there).

I'm basically trying to get a feel for their reputations, with a view to moving on after a few years.

Any advice very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    hands down RBS,
    CoBa is 3rd tier at best and even worse in London

ReputationRep:
    do you really think that that will affect my career prospects? I'm not keen on getting stuck in sales at RBS.

Thanks for quick reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj8070)
    i have two offers, not sure which one to take.

RBS, Credit Sales, £60000
    Commerzbank, Interest Rate Options Trading, £45000

I have a preference of Trading over Sales but could potentially switch once at RBS (did my internship there).

I'm basically trying to get a feel for their reputations, with a view to moving on after a few years.

Any advice very much appreciated.
    Do you want to be a trader or a Salesperson ? is by far the most important question

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure RBS is flexible whe nit comes to moving around internally, even while on the grad programme.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a very high offer... both
    why 1st tier IB dont offer that high salary

ReputationRep:
    Listen dude, if you want to be a trader, then take Commerzbank - you wont be consigned there forever, once you got some P/L under your belt you can easily make the move to JPM/Deutsche/BarCap as an associate/AVP - easy as.

Once your a salesperson, esp on a grad-programme, to make a move into trading will be hard - not impossible of course, but you'll get used to lifestyle and after 18 months, you lose that hunger.

Trust me, my flat mate was a trader on my internship, he took a sales job saying, 'yeh i'll move across'.. and 2 years later, he's still a salesperson - a bloody good one, but its an easier life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    hands down RBS,
    CoBa is 3rd tier at best and even worse in London
    100% agree with this guy. Commerz is an unknown dump and will be a blemish on your CV.

1st job brand name is really important. take the RBS job and network well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldisyours)
    Listen dude, if you want to be a trader, then take Commerzbank - you wont be consigned there forever, once you got some P/L under your belt you can easily make the move to JPM/Deutsche/BarCap as an associate/AVP - easy as.

Once your a salesperson, esp on a grad-programme, to make a move into trading will be hard - not impossible of course, but you'll get used to lifestyle and after 18 months, you lose that hunger.

Trust me, my flat mate was a trader on my internship, he took a sales job saying, 'yeh i'll move across'.. and 2 years later, he's still a salesperson - a bloody good one, but its an easier life.
    at RBS moving within the grad programme should be pretty easy i'm told. depends on busienss demands tho.

Commerzbank has no future in London. People have been leaving it en masse for places such as UniCredit and random little brokers. not a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    lot of mixed advice here.

The discussion is helping a lot though! keep it coming!

Please no more cliche comments like "Ask yourself whether you want to be a trader or a salesperson... thats the real question", of course I would rather be a trader but not at the expense of my future

ReputationRep:

Please no more cliche comments like "Ask yourself whether you want to be a trader or a salesperson... thats the real question", of course I would rather be a trader but not at the expense of my future

Well go for Commerzbank.

ReputationRep:

Well what you could do, is tell RBS about your situation.
    Ask if it would be possible for you to move into a trading possition at some point.
    Best case: they say yes -> you become a trader
    worse case, they say no, get pissed off and tell you go to commerzbank -> trader

best case is a lot more likely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I'll do that, get on with the guys on that desk really well from internship.

So trading at RBS is a substantially better offer than at Commerzbank?

I honestly didnt realise Commerz had such a bad reputation

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I'll do that, get on with the guys on that desk really well from internship.

So trading at RBS is a substantially better offer than at Commerzbank?

I honestly didnt realise Commerz had such a bad reputation
    It doesn't, people on this forum exaggerate because they're not in the industry and they've seen President_Ben or someone diss a bank. RBS is better but for all the Commerzbank bonus horror stories I'm sure you can find a matching RBS one.

DKW was at one point a very strong name, a lot of that has left but there is still value in CB.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear this is becoming a very tough decision.

my deadline is tomorrow, still not at all sure which I am going to choose. may have to flip a coin

ReputationRep:
    oh dear this is becoming a very tough decision.

my deadline is tomorrow, still not at all sure which I am going to choose. may have to flip a coin
    If I were you, and I thought i'd eventually be able to switch to Trading at RBS then i'd go for RBS. If not, then i'd take Commerzbank. There's no point taking Sales if you wan't to be a trader.

Commerzbank aren't great but role > bank

ReputationRep:
    Take the position over the Bank. Options Trading is a damn good desk (if you're into that), so take it if you think you can manage.

ReputationRep:
    Have a few contacts at Commerz on six figures at 24/5 years of age. Primarily trade Commodities & Derivs. They pay well if you're good. Easily said though.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, is it possible that grads who have converted summer internships get paid a different amount to those who come in via grad recruitment for the same role?

ReputationRep:
    so what happened? which role did you take?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.