Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

''England'' is dead and being british is dying. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Also, do you realise that foreign investment is good for a country and not bad? - hence why Uganda loves China at the minute
    Well we are not Uganda thank you and clearly there are a lot of things they are not capable of themselves, we are more comparable to china in this equation except without 50+ million excess men and a massive peasant underclass to send abroad.

You want to go work in Uganda?

no?....yh i suggest you leave that to the chinese then.

ReputationRep:
    And really China should be the last country mentioned in this discussion.

Theres a reason China has the West by the balls economically, and guess what it's not because they are the ones who have been importing massive amounts foreign produced goods. They are on the opposite side of that equation thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that small villages aren't affected at all. where i live there are no ethnic minorities at all or whatever. it seems strange now that i think about it. it would be good to mix it up a little.

having said that my area is known for an old chapel from 800AD and a church from 1100AD. i do not want a mosque to come and change the aesthetics of the area.

immigration is great but i don't agree with them getting religious rights so to speak. for example, mosques or synagogues built and maintained with our money. also, education wise religion should not come into schools with burkas and head scarves if a british person cannot wear a hat indoors. at my school in a near by town, you're allowed to wear a burka if you're muslim but i can't wear my favourite hat. now that is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Even as a scot I love watching the bmw new advert as its uplifting in hard times.

I feel we knew england was dying when they lost to germany and when I saw most people at school wearing anyone but england tee shirts although places like germany have many turkish immigrants and others. Even merkel said multicultural germany had failed.
    I don't think we can define britishness as most people are british but are born to foreign parents so can we tell who is british or not.
    Britain is mostly a mixture of races

ReputationRep:
    It's What you get for invading us 500 years ago *****ES!!

That was a low blow i admit.... I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    Civilisations collapse. Hopefully ours lasts for a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamalad200)
    immigration is great but i don't agree with them getting religious rights so to speak. for example, mosques or synagogues built and maintained with our money.
    This does not happen.

also, education wise religion should not come into schools with burkas and head scarves if a british person cannot wear a hat indoors. at my school in a near by town, you're allowed to wear a burka if you're muslim but i can't wear my favourite hat. now that is just stupid.
    I agree that is stupid - though it's an argument for stopping people be so daft as to ban hats, rather than join their illiberalism by banning muslim clothes. It's not the muslim's fault, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Haha no, I'm applying that label to the nation's culture. Not people.
    ok, well its people that have the culture. Un less you are talking about bacterial cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meow-wow)
    to be fair London is a mess of a city anyway. When i get the chance i'm straight out of this sesspit.

i don't think it's fair to move to a place and declare that you are of that nationality, you originate from your parents and so on.

"So i move to Samoa with my "English" wife, then i have kids who say they are Samoan because they live there." - you see how stupid it sounds!
    i think you are very stupid to pretend that the amoans are uptight about their culture as you are. you would be pleasantly suprised by how acceptng they are. Its your attitude that would cause the problem, not them.

ReputationRep:
    Being british has transcended- you don't have to come from Oxford and talk dead posh to be a brit anymore. It's become more of a mindset. I mean, look at the language- Dumas, upon learning English, said that it is "just French, pronounced very badly". Our Royal Family is German. True Britons died out when the Saxons turned up- we have the Romans to thank for us being brilliant. The brilliant thing about English culture is that we don't actually have one... it's all made up of bits of everyone elses'. Britain is like the pick'n'mix of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpsidedownLandMan)
    Being british has transcended- you don't have to come from Oxford and talk dead posh to be a brit anymore. It's become more of a mindset. I mean, look at the language- Dumas, upon learning English, said that it is "just French, pronounced very badly". Our Royal Family is German. True Britons died out when the Saxons turned up- we have the Romans to thank for us being brilliant. The brilliant thing about English culture is that we don't actually have one... it's all made up of bits of everyone elses'. Britain is like the pick'n'mix of the world.
    Not they did not. The vast majority of our genetic makeup can be traced to the original settlers to Britain. And the saxons, Normans, romans etc only contributed 10 - 15% of the average britons genetic makeup.
    I wish people would actually do a litte bit of readin before purpotrating outdated victorian notions of the origins of the British.

Compared to the rest of the world Britain being an Island has actually had very little historical immigration (pre ww2). apart from three waves including the romans, Normans and Anglo saxons.

If you want evidence of my claims just ask, and I will post many from many academic sources

ReputationRep:
    firstly, what exactly does being british mean? its a subjective concept if you're talking about culture. secondly, culture changes and evolves anyway. thirdly, who gives a ****? i think people who like to hold a cultural identity or are strongly partriotic are stupid anyway, just be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    firstly, what exactly does being british mean? its a subjective concept if you're talking about culture. secondly, culture changes and evolves anyway. thirdly, who gives a ****? i think people who like to hold a cultural identity or are strongly partriotic are stupid anyway, just be yourself.
    White british culture, tea at 4pm etc.

ReputationRep:
    and you want to be a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    I would f*cking love this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    revolution is imminent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    revolution is imminent
    THe brits will be too busy being drunk to revolt.

ReputationRep:
    Being British isn't just having one kind of genes or ethnicity. That's backward. But yes, multiculturalism does not work, it's *******s and we should be harsher on it, and retain our secular, and anglican culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    THe brits will be too busy being drunk to revolt.
    yep and we have become over reliant on the government to create an effective army and lack equipment

ReputationRep:
    If Asians never came to Britain, Britain wouldnt be what it is today just thought i'd remind u

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.