Turn on thread page Beta

''England'' is dead and being british is dying. watch

ReputationRep:
    The colour of someone's skin should not be seen as an issue for goodness sake.
    I don't care whether someone is white or not.
    I am very appreciative of my local 'foriegn' doctor who is not foriegn at all- he's a British citizen! (And a bloody good doctor at that).
    One thing I would say is that I do like the monarchy- they bring in the tourists and I do appreciate some of the history of this country. However, this shouldn't stop us from enjoying our brilliant multiculturalism and moving on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    of course he is british you ****.
    if your parents are born in this country, and as are you. that means you too are british.
    biggot :rolleyes:
    From your user name, I can guess your from South Asian ancestry and your exactly one of those people who beg to be ''English'' or ''British''. You come from where your parents come from; so unless your Mum and/or Dad is ethnically from Britain, your not British

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    How is she German?
    her ancestors are/were german...so technically the Queen is of german decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Move out of London. You'll soon find that the country is still full of bastions of Britishness. London has become a world city, while it's the capital of Britain I find it's everyday culture and the people who live there to be substantially different from elsewhere in the country. Mainly because of the insane amounts of immigration it's suffered from in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you are. Back home, I would say it is still pretty British overall. Was surprised how multinational London was when I first moved there, but I guess it is a little unique being both an imperial and world city

ReputationRep:
    I hate these stupid threads.

"White brits are becoming a minority in the UK"??????????????? When I walk down the street the majority of people are white british. When i look at all the politicians in parliament, the majority are white brits. When I watch british tv, the majority of people are white brits. In my college the majority of people are white brits. In my gym the majority of people are white brits. The majority of people in the black side of my family are are white brits! We are sorrounded by white brits, so please tell me what the **** you are on about in saying white brits are becoming a minority, because i can't see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    her ancestors are/were german...so technically the Queen is of german decent
    That's a non sequitur.

Her ancestors have largely mixed ancestry. Her great-grandmother was Danish, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I didn't love the first sentence. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGekko)
    It depends where you are. Back home, I would say it is still pretty British overall. Was surprised how multinational London was when I first moved there, but I guess it is a little unique being both an imperial and world city
    Judging by your name, "back home" would be...Manhattan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
    The richest people in England are foreigners.
    The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.
    Lol well that statement is quite true lol, I mean most of that fits most of the british population. Also, if the smartest people are foreign, then shouldn't we want those individuals to stay, or what you call "British" kids should work harder in school so that they can get the top jobs. And if the most beautiful people are foreign, then why wouldn't we want them? Do you propose we have an ugly Britain? I don't actually agree with that statement anyway, I think British people are beautiful too.

I think the problem is that a lot of the British sit on their arses claiming benefits. If they worked, we wouldn't need to import foreign labour, but considering the national small percentage of foreigners there are (drastically higher in London, I know) then we're still quite a British country, just visit the more rural areas to see this.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't explain myself.
    I'm not talking about the nationality.
    I mean the culture,heritage,ancestry etc.
    Khalid Von Bronchrost Devon might hold a british passport but that doesn't make him a brit in my books.
    i think the bad rep you are getting over this makes it quite plain how wrong you are.

britain, or the inhabitants of these islands, will always and always has evolved. Perhaps you'd rather be living with Queen Boudicca of the Iceni. So stupid.

Long after you are dead, the inhabitants of this island will be still more different, thankfully idiots like you wont live long enough to raise your voice, or you'd get beaten up by the british of the future.

ReputationRep:
    OH WELL.

Tbh it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't explain myself.
    I'm not talking about the nationality.
    I mean the culture,heritage,ancestry etc.
    Khalid Von Bronchrost Devon might hold a british passport but that doesn't make him a brit in my books.
    Really, do we have much culture/heritage worth protecting? The great works of the past (buildings, literature like Shakespeares plays etc) are preserved. What else is there worth preserving? Our cultural habit of enslaving/murdering those that don't agree with us (not that we're by any means unique in that respect, but it seems to be all we've got).

British heritage is the accumulated bits and pieces from so many other cultures and civilisations that've ruled these islands. British culture has always been an amalgamation of so many other cultures that've we've been ruled by, influenced by or ruled over. This is not the death of British culture - it's an evolution, not a destruction - just the continuation of a process of change that's been ongoing for thousands of years. Sure, it's going quite fast at the moment, but that's to be expected - the other times in our history cultural change has gone this fast have often been tied with massive technological leaps and bounds, just like we see today.

ReputationRep:
    That's a non sequitur.

Her ancestors have largely mixed ancestry. Her great-grandmother was Danish, for example.
    why is it a non sequitur? Long before you were around, when Britain was more ye olde 'real' British , the royal family were DIRECTLY GERMAN.

In fact, his argument has two sequiturs, one for the past and one for today. You fail there twice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.
    Which won't happen for hundreds of years if ever. Of course, it doesn't help that lots of people are moving away to France, Australia, Spain etc to get away from all the immigrants, but then also becoming immigrants themselves :rolleyes: You can't complain about something if you yourself are contributing to that very trend.

ReputationRep:
    That's a non sequitur.

And the entire royal family invaded the British Isles to overthrow our actually English King. Huzzah?

ReputationRep:
    Should i throw out my telly because it's not british?
    Not eat unless given british food?
    Not wear clothes becaue they weren't made in britain?
    Perhaps deport those who aren't british?

Patriotism is overrated.

I think someone's just scared of change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    i think the bad rep you are getting over this makes it quite plain how wrong you are.

britain, or the inhabitants of these islands, will always and always has evolved. Perhaps you'd rather be living with Queen Boudicca of the Iceni. So stupid.

Long after you are dead, the inhabitants of this island will be still more different, thankfully idiots like you wont live long enough to raise your voice, or you'd get beaten up by the british of the future.
    That's a pretty bad argument considering the majority ethnic group of the country (English and Lowland Scots) have been the majority in the country for around 1,500 years. The country isn't always changing it's actually been fairly stable until a massive post WW2 influx of immigration.

I really hate this argument. It's a nonsensical multicultural argument which is totally ignorant of the history of the country. Previous to WW2 the largest immigration that Britain ever recieved was 40,000 French Huguenots. Other than that it's been incredibly stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    From your user name, I can guess your from South Asian ancestry and your exactly one of those people who beg to be ''English'' or ''British''. You come from where your parents come from; so unless your Mum and/or Dad is ethnically from Britain, your not British
    This is retarded. Basically everyone in this country has ancestors, if you look back far enough, who moved here in saxon/viking/roman/norman times. They weren't British. By your argument, their children weren't British. So nor were their childrens children, on account of having non British parents. So nor were the next generation. And so on ad infinitum until we find that by your definition, no-one is ****ing British. Unless you head into deepest Wales or Scotland, I guess, in which case you might find one or two. Maybe. Inbred little ****s who haven't married outside of their village in over a thousand years.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see the problem

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.