Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Over 92% of Britain's population is white. The day when white people are a minority in their own country is a very far-off day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaofan88)
    Over 92% of Britain's population is white. The day when white people are a minority in their own country is a very far-off day.
    That figure is from the 2001 census so is a bit out dated but still it's interesting that you chose the 92% figure of total White instead of the 85% figure who are actually White British. So do you think the Poles, French, Germans etc. have more right to be in this country than say the Indians, Pakistani's and West Indians who were invited here after WW2 and fought for Britain in said war, simply because they are White?

ReputationRep:
    How about we discard any sense of nationality? I must say that Britain is one the forefront.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    As much as I really hate to school you about history I feel it's my duty as a History student to do so given how wrong you have things. So lets be doing this:
    you made a long reply here. I have to sadly inform you that you didnt reply to my point, you replied to something that I EXPLICITY said WASNT my point.

So your long Battenburg essay is ignored becos its irrelevant in the way I clearly stated in my post.

You are of course welcome to try again.

There are plenty of facts it's called archaelogy, we even have texts from those times. Besides I've already proven I know something about History above.
    you have only proven that you sometimes provide irrelevant replies, though its not uninteresting reading, I am sure.
    But I do agree with assimilation, your final point is spot on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British, and I don't give a **** about other cultures having an influence on us now- we re in a multicultural society so why shouldn't we be welcoming other cultures into it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'd have no problem with considering you British, but there is a counter argument.

If I was born, raised, school in India and spoke the local language, would people ever consider me Indian considering I am quite obviously racially European?

In Britain, and I guess other countries that are mostly "white", we don't have a problem with considering non-whites to be British, but generally the reverse isn't true. There are definitely some double standards there.
    I agree with you Psyk. My brother was born and raised in the Middle East, but he is obviously white, and will always be considered British by the ''natives''.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone actually define 'British', is it based on colour of skin, ancestry, where you were born?
    I was born in Britain and I look 'British', but a great deal of my relatives are not actually British - hell, some people whom aren't white are more British than me! I can barely trace any relatives before the 1920's which actually were born here!
    My relatives are Irish, French and Dutch... but is it OKAY that they're European? If they were Indian, Iranian and Pakistani would it be different?

We're all human, why can't we just stop this patriotic crap and get along. We only live on different pieces of ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    That figure is from the 2001 census so is a bit out dated but still it's interesting that you chose the 92% figure of total White instead of the 85% figure who are actually White British. So do you think the Poles, French, Germans etc. have more right to be in this country than say the Indians, Pakistani's and West Indians who were invited here after WW2 and fought for Britain in said war, simply because they are White?
    No, no I don't. I was merely responding to the OP's seemingly irrational scare over the 'sad, sad day when white people are a minority in Britain', and to be honest, I can't really see it happening anytime too soon.

Of course it would also be silly for me to uphold the idea that non-commonwealth white europeans aren't entitled to inhabiting this country as my own mother is eastern European and came here to get a degree from Oxford and live here. I think anyone who's commited to learning the language, intergrating, finding a job or merely living a life where they are not deliberately scrounging off benefits is entitled a place here. Both my parents are foreigners and my ancestry is white European, African and Asian, and yet I'm still regarded very much as british (which I technically am) and skin colour aside, am often described as the epitomy of the white, British middle class As I stated earlier, I really do feel that immigrants must be able to intergrate.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of appreciating the very British culture of Britain, a culture that has received contributions and diversity from its Diaspora, you are dismissing it as being a culture of non-whites. Admit it. Modern Britain has a modern culture.

You would rather prefer that Britain be a bunch of beef-eaters prancing around on cobbled streets and singing God save the queen every time they hear of the royals.

Wake up, this is the 21st century and the culture of Britain is a 21st century culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Why does it matter? These people are british too.
    You do sound pretty racist, despite your assertions that you're not.
    i want to kill this bloke. he is not being racist. people like you make this country so disgustingly politically correct.

aah you've ruined my evening now

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the term of being British. What exactly is being British anyway? The first British were the Celts, then the Romans invaded and made us a little less British. Then when the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes invaded England was created, so technically the Welsh and Scots are more British than the English, but with all these years...

That leaves us with the cultural side, of which anyone can join, as long as they follow British values and norms, I'm all for them.

By the way, you forgot that some Brits are using more and more Americanisms in their spelling, including you OP.

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you think Britain should be then? We're an island that has constantly been settled and resettled by other invaders - we are only the last person to conquer us.

ReputationRep:
    Britain's becoming a bit of a "melting pot", like America, isn't it? Don't you think it's a good thing that in London and places you can walk down the street and hear languages that aren't English, even though we all speak it? I think it's great that Britain's taking all these things from other cultures, that's what the world should be doing. Taking good parts from each others cultures and getting rid of the bad bits. Who cares if Britain is being "ruled" by foreigners as long as they do a good job of it? So yeah, for me, being British is about mixing up all these different cultures and adapting to a changing society. All of us British folk are mongrels with heritage from here, there and everywhere. Britain's been getting invaded and invading places since we first had people wandering around here, so this is definitely preferable to a war. Now that anyone can travel, the world's bound to start mixing up. It's a good thing, go with it!

Also, when you're talking about Britain, don't just talk about England. If you're just talk about England, then just say that. Britain includes three other countries and everyone always forgets that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    There are a fair few people in this country whose family has (for the most part) been here much longer than that thanks to the slave trade, or from colonies we once controlled, and I'll bet you that people like the OP will take one look at them and tell them they're not British.

How much of their family needs to have been here that long to count, though? For example, me. As far as we can tell, my entire family has lived in the home counties for yonks - except one german great grandmother. Am I still British?
    Yeah of course you are, according to me anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickkyboy36)
    i want to kill this bloke. he is not being racist. people like you make this country so disgustingly politically correct.

aah you've ruined my evening now
    Here are my views on political correctedness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg
    Liking multiculturalism is not being too PC.

And if a post on the internet 'ruined your evening' then you need to chill out.

ReputationRep:
    The spirit of England burns in my heart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.
    What would be sad about it? Things change, people change, countries change.

It would be different. Thats a given, but sad? It's almost as though you see people as inferior because of the colour of their skin.

How do you define 'white british' exactly? At what level of darkness do you consider a person to be non-white?

"their own country". What makes the country more yours than mine? (I'm mixed race btw. Both my parents were born here as well as me) We're probably around the same age, I'm guessing we've both been educated here and paid taxes here.

ReputationRep:
    Very true and sadly enough many people on this site will want Britain to people majority non white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
    The richest people in England are foreigners.
    The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
    Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
    Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.
    Good. Just one small step in political, social and economic progress,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Very true and sadly enough many people on this site will want Britain to people majority non white.
    Whats wrong with being non-white?

And to be honest, if the 'non-white's' can string a sentence better than the one you just wrote, can you blame them?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.