Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So where do I start with all this? I'm thinking of quitting university, Every time I say this I feel a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm coming up to my last 2 weeks in university for the first year and I can't wait to finish, The amount of stress I've had over the last month has:

A) Caused me to drink a lot more excessively (Meaning I now get pissed nearly every night as a front to hide the stress and sit back)

B) Smoke weed much more often then what I used to do ( Now at 5 joints a day, sometimes more)

I feel as if it'll be the death of me and I'm running myself into a early grave. Back at the time I had my heart set on going to university I knew it would open doors no one in my family had the chance to open, I knew it'd allow me to live in other countries and live well off then everyone else, But I feel as if this chance needs to end for it's own good.

It started last year, I applied to do a computer security course as this is what I really had my heart set on at the time and yet still do, 2 weeks before starting the uni the course was withdrawn and I was put onto a Networking Course 0.o, I did at the time contemplate backing out but I was 2 weeks away from starting and I couldn't back out now.

I then began the networking course in which I hated with a vengeance, I spoke to the head of department in IT in which we both decided to try another course. I then went onto a basic Computing course although I don't mind the course in general I just really can't see me sticking it out with full effort with 2 resits coming in summer.

My heart is set at taking a Certified Ethical Hacking course (Which even if I stay at uni I'd be taking this as soon as I finish, So in hindsight the uni degree would just be used to 'look' good on the CV.) So I don't know how to play this, Do I quit uni and study the Ethical hacking course and freelance work after I have completed it which gives me the ideal experience I require in this field of play, Or, Stick at university, grin and bare this degree, stack up the debt, all for what? Just to add a extra line on the CV.

Get the degree thus increasing debt and having no actual experience in the computer security scene or drop uni and take the ethical hacking course and get some experience under my belt, Which will give me the ability to eventually move abroad?

Excuse the long post couldn't really put it any shorter. :gangster:

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Could you see about taking a year out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Could you see about taking a year out?
    I thought about it but I just really don't think it's for me I'd rather do the Ethical hacking course in which I want to do, My current uni said they would bring back the course in September but they also said the same thing last September as well and it's still not back.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewDacris)
    Which uni?
    Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Health comes first. I learnt that the hard way and it's not good that this is happening to you. However you need to be sure that you are reacting in this way because you hate the course , or if it's because of stress, because everytime your stressed it's not suitable to react that way and maybe going to see your doctor may help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Health comes first. I learnt that the hard way and it's not good that this is happening to you. However you need to be sure that you are reacting in this way because you hate the course , or if it's because of stress, because everytime your stressed it's not suitable to react that way and maybe going to see your doctor may help.
    I see where you are coming from, I mean I do dislike the course but I want to move abroad when I'd have finished uni.

I just think that if I drop out I've got a feeling its going to come back and haunt me like a vengeance

ReputationRep:
    Any one else with tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
    Any one else with tips?
    I think you've answered it yourself. What's the point of putting yourself through another two years of 'hell'? Do what you want to do, you won't regret it when you've dropped out and you're on that course that you'll love

Note: I am/have gone through the same situation as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiekatina)
    I think you've answered it yourself. What's the point of putting yourself through another two years of 'hell'? Do what you want to do, you won't regret it when you've dropped out and you're on that course that you'll love

Note: I am/have gone through the same situation as you.
    Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.