Turn on thread page Beta

Can any1 justify Scottish MP's voting on Top-up fees!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Scottish MP's are said to have won the vote for top-up fee's and foundation hospitals even though it will not effect Scotland!

So how can this be justified - surely its an issue purely for English and Welsh MPs.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the whole devolution thing is messed up. By labour. Though looking at it, the move hasn't exactly done the Labours a diservice. A carefully planned move?

ReputationRep:
    Labour's justification seems to be that many Scottish students go to English Unis and are hence affected by decisions about English Unis.

I think it's a bogus argument: There is also a great number of EU students who go to English Unis and will be affected by top-up fees. Does that mean that the French National Assembly should have a say about that issue???!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Apparently the whole devolution thing is messed up. By labour. Though looking at it, the move hasn't exactly done the Labours a diservice. A carefully planned move?

Am I right to presume English MP's vote on scottish issues?

And isn't it very ironic of the scottish MP's to vote for top-up fees when scottish uni's have no tuition fees (unless your from outside scotland)!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    Am I right to presume English MP's vote on scottish issues?

And isn't it very ironic of the scottish MP's to vote for top-up fees when scottish uni's have no tuition fees (unless your from outside scotland)!!
    Because of devolution, English MPs do not have a say on many Scottish issues. Yet Scottish MPs do have a say on issues that only concern England, because England is not a devoluted region.

ReputationRep:
    that really does take the piss. I would bet that most of the scottish MP's just sided with party line instead of really considering the issues

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Scotland have the ulterior motive of getting English and Welsh students to join their Universities because they will have to pay but considerably less than they would in England, thus boosting their resources and getting more people to settle up there...just a though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    I think it's a bogus argument: There is also a great number of EU students who go to English Unis and will be affected by top-up fees. Does that mean that the French National Assembly should have a say about that issue???!
    Not to forget the massive number of people from the Far East at our best universities.

ReputationRep:
    Its a stupid and pathetic state or things that the scottish can have a say on our affairs yet the situation is not returned vice versa. Honestly the Labour party couldn't organize a p*ss up in a brewery.

ReputationRep:
    Top up fees will affect Scottish students in a different way to English students studying at English universities - we will have to pay them up front and could be charged the same amount as other international students, putting us in even more debt, which is extremely worrying.

I notice that there is little moanig about the huge number of English students coming up to Scottish universities to study - there is indeed absolutely no problem with that and they are indeed welcome. Why can't the needs of Scottish students try to be put across when they study at English universities for a discriminating piece of legislation?

Should what the message coming across on this thread be true, it for for absolute independence for Scotland. Fine by me!

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.