Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure whether to do Economics as a fifth a level and I was wondering what peoples opinions on it were and whether they found it difficult or not. I am also wondering whether 5 a levels is too much and just wanted some feedback as to how easy/hard people find doing 5 a levels.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What other subjects do you plan to take it with? It's not hard for me at all but I think that's where my natural talent is so it comes easily... It depends from person to person but it doesn't require a lot of work - not at AS anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    What other subjects do you plan to take it with? It's not hard for me at all but I think that's where my natural talent is so it comes easily... It depends from person to person but it doesn't require a lot of work - not at AS anyway
    I would be taking Psychology, Sociology, Business Studies and RE with it.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 5 A-levels is very tough. I am currently doing A2, with 4 subjects : Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. A subject like geography can be very time consuming as there's a lot of essay writing involved. Also for the exams you have to revise a lot, memorise key terms etc.
    However if you do subjects such as maths and physics, you just have to understand them. Once you do, you don't have to spend 50 years revising unlike geography.
    So really, it does depend on your choices. But 5 A-levels is very tough and I know very few people who have managed to do 5. But be warned, do not expect to go out very often and expect to say "Sorry mate, I can't come this weekend, im too busy with coursework, homework and revision for exams."
    Also the Uni's will usualy only look at 3 A-levels, and possibly 1 AS level. But it would help with your application as uni's would definitely consider you, providing you got decent grades. Also once you leave school it will look very good on your CV to get into the world of work.

Overall:
    It would put you above the rest of the croud and would mean you would be more likely to get Uni places, and jobs in the future. And it would expand your knowledge of the world.
    But, are you willing to give up basically all your free time? Are you sure you will be able to cope?

If I were you, I would concentrate on 4 A-levels, unless you are infact a genius and very hard working.

Hope i've helped Sorry for the waffle if there was any! If you have any further questions directed to me, please could you reply to me Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Varope)
    I would be taking Psychology, Sociology, Business Studies and RE with it.
    Drop business studies and take economics instead, you will gain absolutely nothing from taking both and business studies isn't respected. You have a very unusual, rather narrow set of subjects though that seem to cross over quite a lot, what do you plan on doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Drop business studies and take economics instead, you will gain absolutely nothing from taking both and business studies isn't respected. You have a very unusual, rather narrow set of subjects though that seem to cross over quite a lot, what do you plan on doing at university?
    I was looking at maybe doing psychology or marketing.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 A levels, English, Spanish, RS, Economics and Drama and did well in them all. I dropped Spanish and so am now just doing the other 4. It's a challenge but if you are doing subjects you enjoy you can do them! However, I would advise choosing Economics over Business, it's considered to be a better subject by some universities.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Varope)
    I was looking at maybe doing psychology or marketing.
    Can I recommend you seriously consider your options, Psychology is good, Economics is good, and R.E is good. But sociology on the other hand is not looked too well upon in comparison to more traditional subjects, would you consider a science, perhaps biology or something like History or Geography? Whilst Sociology might be more related to your course your A-levels are more important for showing you can gt good grades in good subjects than preparing you for your degree (particularly with a course like marketing in which you would start from scratch)

Is there any other traditional subjects you would consider alongside Economics, Psychology and RE?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.