Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do employers make of this?

This is genuine work experience I have . It is a fairly close member of the family who I have volunteered to help for a period of time and much of the work is law related (vaguely- but in one way or another it is). Though a lot of the work is based on assisting individuals, there is a significant amount that has involved assisting larger corporations and local authorities.

Do you think its worth putting it down on my CV? (I personally would have thought not)

Do you think its something worth talking about or basing my answers on in any potential interview?

Or is it reccomended to mention it but not rely on it too heavily?

It has given me insight into a lot of different areas of the law but I've always being hesitant in using it.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Include it is it's useful. Don't say that it's a family member unless it's necessary though.

I often got asked at interviews how I got work experience. I expect this was partly because they were trying to see if it was obtained merely through family connections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    Yes. Include it is it's useful. Don't say that it's a family member unless it's necessary though.

I often got asked at interviews how I got work experience. I expect this was partly because they were trying to see if it was obtained merely through family connections.
    I think it will be very difficult to hide it, but I guess I could take that approach.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't do any harm to include something that you obtain through connections. The problem comes when it looks as though almost everything on your CV has been obtained by pulling strings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    It doesn't do any harm to include something that you obtain through connections. The problem comes when it looks as though almost everything on your CV has been obtained by pulling strings.

(Original post by hmaus)
    It sounds like it was valuable work experience so IMO you should definitely include it. Agree with the above posts really. Don't over emphasise that it was for a family member if nobody asks you, but if they do ask then tell them - it's nothing to be ashamed of and I think trying to hide how you got it would look dodgier!
    Thanks guys.

I have a variety of work experience on my CV. One other one is linked to family as well, but I think due to its nature there would be less questions about it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.