Turn on thread page Beta

Is A-Level Physics good? watch

Announcements

Do you like it or regret you took it?

ReputationRep:
    Love it! It's quite taxing and there's sometimes a lot to get your head round. You also have to think for yourself a lot more than at GCSE. However if you like physics and maths then it's a good choice. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not that into maths though. Also beware it's a bit of a jump from year 11 to 12, but I don't know what anyone else thinks but I thought it was an even bigger jump from AS to A2.
    But don't let that put you off - if like me you're into physics + maths then go for it!!

(Original post by Susanne839)
    Love it! It's quite taxing and there's sometimes a lot to get your head round. You also have to think for yourself a lot more than at GCSE. However if you like physics and maths then it's a good choice. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not that into maths though. Also beware it's a bit of a jump from year 11 to 12, but I don't know what anyone else thinks but I thought it was an even bigger jump from AS to A2.
    But don't let that put you off - if like me you're into physics + maths then go for it!!
    Well we're starting unit 3 soon in physics (GCSE) which is the hard one. So if I like that then I'll do it. I like maths (when I can do it) so I think I'd like it. But not the best I'm working around B/A at the moment. And in dual science overall I got A*.

ReputationRep:
    I like it because it's so interesting but it's hard and I didn't do that great in January. Still, I will take it next year because I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    At first i didn't like it but now I really do and i did really well in jan mod 1 so thats convinced me to keep it onto A2

i dunno i find the mechanics and electricity really boring but the particle physics and optics parts are really awsome

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult subject. I'm speaking only as an AS student at the moment, so I don't quite have enough knowledge in order to give you advice. Someone who has already completed Physics A level and/or is in the process would be able to give you better advice.

What I will say is that, as I've already mentioned, it's challenging; I am currently finding Physics and Chemistry to be most demanding. Just to put this into perspective, I'm sitting 5 Maths modules in the summer, some as part of the further maths qualification and some of the standard maths qualification. All of these are perfectly doable compared with Physics.

That's just my opinion. I'd still do Physics though, it's by far one of the most interesting subjects I'm studying!

ReputationRep:
    A-level physics is really interesting and makes you look at the world differently. It is very taxing and takes up a lot of time. Also you start to (or at least i have) get really hacked off with stupid people because everyone in my A2 physics is highly intelligent so we talk about atypical topics and PE students etc piss me off

Do it if you can hack it

(Original post by Chemical James)
    A-level physics is really interesting and makes you look at the world differently. It is very taxing and takes up a lot of time. Also you start to (or at least i have) get really hacked off with stupid people because everyone in my A2 physics is highly intelligent so we talk about atypical topics and PE students etc piss me off

Do it if you can hack it
    I dunno what to do;
    AS Maths or Physics. I like them both equally.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I have to disagree with most. Is Physics the same throughout, as in everyone does the same course? Ours is Advancing Physics and I must say I do not like it at all, the resources are terrible. Our teachers are also not very good, no matter what amount of work you do independently. It may just not be well taught in our school (nobody passed physics, not even AS at all last year) however I find it boring and taxing.

Physics is brilliant and I have read many books and understand concepts which aren't in A Level, I enjoy physics in my own time, it just seems that it isn't right for me as an A Level.

ReputationRep:
    I don't take it, but apparently it's very hard. So I would take it only if you have a strong interest in it. However despite it being hard apparently the grade boundaries are very low (like even 60% for an A.)

ReputationRep:
    I will go against the trend of this thread and say that whilst physics is a good subject to study, it's far too easy at A-level. More of a challenge would be nice but otherwise, there isn't much wrong with it.

I don't regret taking physics and I would encourage you to take it if you're interested in it. If you have to choose between physics and maths, I would say that maths is the better option though. It is slightly more difficult than physics and probably more useful across a range of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    AS Physics was really boring for me and dropped it, I'm not a fan of mechanics-like physics. Theoretical ftw! My friends told me A2 was more interesting though.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? No, it's not particularly exciting or interesting. Most of the topics are dull, they skip over most of the difficult/interesting elements and the exams are pretty stupid in places. Much of the mathematical (i.e. useful) content has been removed over the last few years. It's a means to an end for me, I don't really enjoy it (though that might have something to do with the dire teaching at my school). I'm going to study physics at uni next year, if that makes any difference.

If the choice is between physics and maths, I would wholeheartedly recommend going for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant! For some reason I find it really easy and Unit 2 even more easier than 1! Sadly the same things can't be said for my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is good, A-Level Physics is not (in my opinion).

Especially OCR B Advancing Physics- if that's what your school offers run like the wind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corkscrew)
    Physics is good, A-Level Physics is not (in my opinion).

Especially OCR B Advancing Physics- if that's what your school offers run like the wind!
    This. Resources are absolutely awful, topics awful, awkward questions, THE TEXTBOOK IS GENERAL and won't give you what you need either. Also the CD with all the activities on is absolutely boring and frustating.

ReputationRep:
    AS physics is pretty boring, A2 is much better. Its pretty hard though and I find it hard to get a high grade in exams with the time pressure.

ReputationRep:
    No its shockingly appalling compared to how interesting physics actually is. I just cant wait to get to university and start real physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackspur)
    Honestly? No, it's not particularly exciting or interesting. Most of the topics are dull, they skip over most of the difficult/interesting elements and the exams are pretty stupid in places. Much of the mathematical (i.e. useful) content has been removed over the last few years. It's a means to an end for me, I don't really enjoy it (though that might have something to do with the dire teaching at my school). I'm going to study physics at uni next year, if that makes any difference.

If the choice is between physics and maths, I would wholeheartedly recommend going for maths.
    Maaaaaate, I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! At my school, there are no proofs, no derivations, no formal reasoning in Physics at all. Literally, thinking for yourself has been replaced by hit/miss past paper questions 'till ya get it right... and then the lad in the year above wonders why he failed PAT & BPhO when he got 300/300 in AS physics and 600/600 in A2 maths last year :/

ReputationRep:
    Nope. as long as u revise everything on the syllabus, as with any other a level subject, it's easy.

nobody would regret taking a level physics! it looks so good on your cv

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.