Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend were talking about this the other day. I want to be a midwife, I have known that a while now and it is my ambition.

My boyfriend turned around and said to me "How would you feel if I said I wanted to join the army, to be a hero and fight for my country".

I was so shocked, I didnt expect him to say it. I have so much respect for our army, and those who are fighting for our country. But I also have deep respect for their wives/girlfriends. They are so strong. I wouldnt be able to cope, knowing that the one I love is fighting in another country. I wouldnt know if he was dead or alive, and I wouldnt know when I would ever see him again. I have no idea how they do it. It has been playing on my mind ever since we spoke about it. Obviously, if it is something he wants to do, I would back him up all the way.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    ASHAMED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    ASHAMED
    You would feel ashamed? Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    You would feel ashamed? Why?
    I want my partner to make (me/everyone) love not war.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would not stop him but I would be really worried.
    It's army, I am just going to be scared of the potential danger that could happen to him.

However, the chance of that happenning is very slim. :P I still will be worried though.

But he can do whatever he likes.

ReputationRep:
    I went out with a guy who was already in the army when I was 16.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'd be in a relationship with anyone who would join the army. I'm a pacifist who doesn't believe that the current wars are, on the whole, justified or fair. Someone who believed strongly enough that they were right to sign up would probably be very far away from my own political opinions, and politics is pretty important to me as I like to have things intellectually in common with the people I go out with, so I probably wouldn't be going out with someone whose politics were very different to mine in the first place.

I also resent the insinuation that everyone in the army is a man with a wife/girlfriend - many people in the army are female and have husbands/boyfriends at home waiting for them instead, while other people in the army will be gay or single. You can't assume that everyone in the army happens to be a man with a family/heterosexual romantic attachments.

Edit: Oh, come on! I never criticised people who happened to join the army, just said that they weren't for me, which is quite different. And not everyone in the army is a heterosexual man; there are plenty of women in service, for one. Quote me and disagree, don't just neg.

ReputationRep:
    By this, I assume he then supports the war in Afganistan?
    Might I suggest leaving him for someone who isn't a murdering drone who insists on fighting in stupid, pointless and unjustified wars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    I wouldnt be able to cope ... I would back him up all the way
    Does not compute.

(Original post by kerily)
    I also resent the insinuation that everyone in the army is a man with a wife/girlfriend
    Touch of the old penis envy?

Of course there are women in the armed forces, and most do an invaluable job.. kind of like moving target/hostage material teasmades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMoz93)
    By this, I assume he then supports the war in Afganistan?
    Might I suggest leaving him for someone who isn't a murdering drone who insists on fighting in stupid, pointless and unjustified wars?
    No he doesnt support any war, not many people would. But he is proud to be British, and wants to fight to protect us, and our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    I went out with a guy who was already in the army when I was 16.
    How was it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be bloody surprised if my boyfriend said that with him being in the Royal Navy

Seriously though, if it is a real ambition of his and he wants to do it to better himself then why not, it just takes a lot of patience and understanding from the ones left at home.

I have gone through a couple separations while my boyfriend has been on deployments at sea and you learn to cope with it even though it isn't fun.

Anyway if he was really serious about an armed forces career he wouldn't faff around and join the Army, he's grow a pair and join the Royal Marines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    I want my partner to make (me/everyone) love not war.
    They don't make war

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is joining the army, The Royal Engineers. It is what it is, I worry that he may be in potential danger, but it's what hes always wanted to do, who am I to stand in his way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    They don't make war
    They do. They make constant war by keep it present. I prefer them to make love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    My boyfriend is joining the army, The Royal Engineers. It is what it is, I worry that he may be in potential danger, but it's what hes always wanted to do, who am I to stand in his way?
    being in the armed forces is by definition potentially dangerous, it's an occupational hazard. I worry myself stupid when the boyfriend is on deployment because of what might happen, but I know that he wouldn't do any other job and he would go out of his mid in civi street, especially after 20 in the job.

As a partner of someone in the forces you don't have to like their career choice, but you do need to support them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    They do. They make constant war by keep it present. I prefer them to make love.
    If you think soldiers are responsible for wars then you are very very naive. Try looking a LOT deeper.

ReputationRep:
    Support her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    If you think soldiers are responsible for wars then you are very very naive. Try looking a LOT deeper.
    I look DEEP. How do you think I make love? I go very deep, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    I look DEEP. How do you think I make love? I go very deep, mate.
    Touché

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.