Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Shan't lie, I'd leave for two reasons - one, abandonment issues and that being in the army would require long periods of seperation and two, I couldn't morally condone what he was doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    No he doesnt support any war, not many people would. But he is proud to be British, and wants to fight to protect us, and our country.
    How can he say he doesn't support when he's considering taking part in it.

He's not protecting us either, he's contributing to the function of a massive **** stirrer which will only stop when it spins out of control and hits the fan.

We're not under threat of invasion from the taliban, and the threat of terrorist attacks from them grows stronger everyday our military is other there.

For the good of himself, our country, contributing countries and Afganistan and its people, it would be much better if he didn't go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    How was it?
    Disastrous, but that was entirely to do with the fact he was a controlling emotionally abusive psychopath.
    I met some of his friends who were also army guys and they seemed perfectly nice. I understand the worry but honestly, it's something you just have to put to the back of your mind, you learn to deal with it. It might be different for you though because he wasn't already in the army when you met him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that I'd continue a relationship if my partner joined the army.
    Obviously people are going to say - what if you reeeeeeeeeeeaaally loved him/her -
    I can't imagine staying with someone in the army.

ReputationRep:
    A mixture of pride and concern/fear that something bad may happen. The ancestors in my family who served all completed their turns of duty, with only one having any notable injury.

ReputationRep:
    Worried...

ReputationRep:
    First cry because I wouldn't want him to go.

But then, if he's sure it's what he wants, I'd support him all the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    I look DEEP. How do you think I make love? I go very deep, mate.
    WTF are you on about.

Go back to your bong.

ReputationRep:
    I would hate it. I honestly would try and convince him otherwise and make him stay. My Dad was in the army, and I don't think I could cope with what my Mum had to deal with. I remember it quite well, and although I had a great childhood, I would hate to move my kids around so much, and would hate to hold my breath every time I hear that someone's been killed on the news... which my Mum used to do apparently.

Though, saying that. I love my boyfriend. He is brilliant and perfect, so I couldnt be without him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    WTF are you on about.

Go back to your bong.
    Go back to ya mom's v zone.:shades:

ReputationRep:
    well...I don't know what my wife will think....

cos as a doctor, I will be kept quite safe, in that I won't be going on any front line patrols etc....

but then again there is always the risk and obviously the fact that I will be away on ops etc. for a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I would hate it. I honestly would try and convince him otherwise and make him stay. My Dad was in the army, and I don't think I could cope with what my Mum had to deal with. I remember it quite well, and although I had a great childhood, I would hate to move my kids around so much, and would hate to hold my breath every time I hear that someone's been killed on the news... which my Mum used to do apparently.

Though, saying that. I love my boyfriend. He is brilliant and perfect, so I couldnt be without him...
    hmm...what if he was in a completely safe branch (eg. legal/medical etc.) in which there are pretty much no deaths....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    hmm...what if he was in a completely safe branch (eg. legal/medical etc.) in which there are pretty much no deaths....
    Hmm... I dunno. I think the leaving for long periods of time would also be another big issue for me. I've been there with my Dad, and I don't think I'd like to do it again, especially now that I'm more aware of what is going on (as opposed to when I was little). I'd feel better if my boyfriend did join a branch like that though.

ReputationRep:
    I think that with every job you do, there will always be hazards and risks, but I think that because joining the army, and fighting wars is maximised so much by the media, it may deter people from wanting to join the army - as there is hardly ever and positive news, there are only ever really who has died, and explosions etc. I think that is what puts people off, and although there is a lot of bad news about it in the media, the positive news isnt highlighted enough.

ReputationRep:
    Open minded and supportive.

Some years ago I wanted to join the army and my partner of the time was against it, but eventually she supported me.
    When I became injured and halted my pursuit of that career I could tell she was relieved.

ReputationRep:
    Amazed that someone else was taken in by those bullcrap Army propaganda posters in which they fly UAV's with Xbox controllers (yeah, right), and if you're good at Call of Duty, you are apparently qualified to go and kill real people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Amazed that someone else was taken in by those bullcrap Army propaganda posters in which they fly UAV's with Xbox controllers (yeah, right), and if you're good at Call of Duty, you are apparently qualified to go and kill real people.
    The Artillery DO use modified Xbox controllers to fly the smallest UAVs. The larger UAVs are flown in a cockpit type setup.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense. There's no "Licence to Kill" tickbox that is a qualification. Anyone given the right circumstances is allowed to kill legally in self defence, yes even YOU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    The Artillery DO use modified Xbox controllers to fly the smallest UAVs. The larger UAVs are flown in a cockpit type setup.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense. There's no "Licence to Kill" tickbox that is a qualification. Anyone given the right circumstances is allowed to kill legally in self defence, yes even YOU!
    Well that told me! I had no clue that they actually DO use xbox controllers - consider me educated, feeling silly, and proved wrong!

For the last sentence, I didn't mean 'liscense to kill', I meant that it seemed really stupid to me to base the ads for the army on 'if you're good at Call of Duty, the army could be for you'. It seems they're trying to take advantage of the 'xbox' generation, and is a really inappropriate way to advertise fighting in a REAL war.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be worried sick, although I couldn't exactly stop them, partners/families of soliders in the army learn how to cope and so I'd assume at some point they may have to accept there is a chance they'll lose their loved one, although I guess that just makes it harder.

I'd find it worse if we had children, I'd be thinking "What if he dies and never gets to see them grow up?" It'd be scary, but you'd learn to cope.

ReputationRep:
    You are very much mistaken if you think being an army medic is a completely safe job.

Only three men have ever won two Victoria Crosses, two of them were army doctors.

In the operational honours list last week, two Military Crosses were awarded to medics. You only get those for bravery under fire.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.