Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you feel if your partner joins the army?? watch

ReputationRep:
    slightly turned on

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Well that told me! I had no clue that they actually DO use xbox controllers - consider me educated, feeling silly, and proved wrong!

For the last sentence, I didn't mean 'liscense to kill', I meant that it seemed really stupid to me to base the ads for the army on 'if you're good at Call of Duty, the army could be for you'. It seems they're trying to take advantage of the 'xbox' generation, and is a really inappropriate way to advertise fighting in a REAL war.
    No worries, I was skeptical at first but then did some poking around and found out it was true!

The "Xbox generation" is an interesting thing to say because on one hand they are more familiar with all the kit and how it is used, and with the concept of violence and killing; but on the other hand it could just be setting someone up for a harder fall when they discover the truth about going to war.

In terms of recruiting using COD as a tool, where have you seen this happening? I shouldn't think the British Army does this based on the fact the COD is in fact nothing like real life (surprise surprise). The nearest thing they do is this which I have taken a quick look at, and it does nothing to glamourise war or give them impression that the user is a superhuman supersoldier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I doubt I'd be in a relationship with anyone who would join the army. I'm a pacifist who doesn't believe that the current wars are, on the whole, justified or fair. Someone who believed strongly enough that they were right to sign up would probably be very far away from my own political opinions, and politics is pretty important to me as I like to have things intellectually in common with the people I go out with, so I probably wouldn't be going out with someone whose politics were very different to mine in the first place.
    What is with TSR and stupid posts?

Most people in the army probaly agree that most modern day wars are not justified. Maybe you missed the fact it is the politicians who choose to go to war, not the soldiers. They dont join to kill!

Infact im sure well over 80% of people in the british army have signed up in the past few years because it is a decently paid career which carries a lot of respect. And actually, they could be stationed in tons of locations, not just war. My brother wants to get stationed in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    I would scream, shout and slap the sense back in him. No one I love is joining the army. I do not care if anyone thinks it is shallow etc But my children are not joining the army either. My mother would of never let me or my brothers and I completely understand her point. My children or my partner would make me a lot prouder if they were not killing people. And lets face it you never know why we are really fighting these wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Most people in the army probaly agree that most modern day wars are not justified. Maybe you missed the fact it is the politicians who choose to go to war, not the soldiers. They dont join to kill!

Infact im sure well over 80% of people in the british army have signed up in the past few years because it is a decently paid career which carries a lot of respect. And actually, they could be stationed in tons of locations, not just war. My brother wants to get stationed in Germany.
    If someone joins an organisation which they know is partially used by politicians to kill people in foreign countries, then either they agree with this, in which case we would be politically incompatible, or they disagree with this but care more about having a career/etc than they do about their ethical views, in which case we would still be politically incompatible. I know that the army has a variety of roles, but you can't deny that one of them is going to wars in the middle East, and you can't rule out that you could end up caught up in that if you join the army.

ReputationRep:
    I saw it at a local bustop, in one of those big plastic ad screens.
    It basically had a picture of a soldier, and then something like 'Are you good at COD?' and then underneath the pic, 'Maybe you should consider a career in the Army'. To be honest, it was probably more subtle than that, but it was something like that. I remember being suprised at how heavy handed it was.

Sods law, looked on Google, can't find it now. Of course. Either way, you make some good points, sir!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    If someone joins an organisation which they know is partially used by politicians to kill people in foreign countries, then either they agree with this, in which case we would be politically incompatible, or they disagree with this but care more about having a career/etc than they do about their ethical views, in which case we would still be politically incompatible. I know that the army has a variety of roles, but you can't deny that one of them is going to wars in the middle East, and you can't rule out that you could end up caught up in that if you join the army.
    Oh dear lord. Its called the Ministry of Defence, they are there to help people. I'm almost certain your one of those people who is overly politically correct and all your political views are right and everyone else is wrong. And Politically incompatible? Have you ever been in a relationship? Its great when your politics are different because you can have indepth discussions about it.

In my opinion it is disgusting to have any bad feeling towards people serving in the army, if someone goes into the army you should respect them, they are there to defend YOU. I also have the same belief that you should respect the police, fire service etc. automatically because they are helping us.

Obviously I cannot deny that they do kill people, but only when they are ordered to and typically the killing is justified. I mean, if someone shot at you and you had a gun you would be an idiot to not fire back.

ReputationRep:
    I would not be amused....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    I'm almost certain your one of those people who is overly politically correct and all your political views are right and everyone else is wrong.
    Of course I believe that my political views are correct - if I didn't think that they were, I would change my mind. As far as I'm aware, nobody actually holds views which they personally believe to be wrong. But just believing that your views are right doesn't mean you think everyone else's are 'wrong'.

I am a great fan of what you're calling 'political correctness', which I prefer to term as 'being polite to people' - I use gender-neutral language, avoid racist, homophobic and sexist statements, and don't go around saying controversial things just because it makes me 'not politically correct'. I don't see what's wrong with this. I also don't see what relevance it has to my views on the army - I know soldiers who share my views on being polite and tolerant.

And Politically incompatible? Have you ever been in a relationship? Its great when your politics are different because you can have indepth discussions about it.
    :rolleyes: Yes, I have been in a variety of relationships - including two which each lasted over a year.

I personally find that I can't get on with someone that well and intimately unless they broadly agree with me on politics. As I said, I have friends from all over the political spectrum, but if I was going to love someone, I would be constantly irritated by them if their views were very different to mine. I have in-depth discussions about politics with people who broadly agree with me, and I actually find it's easier to talk to these people because they aren't going 'urgh, I hate people who live on benefits' and the like and getting on your nerves.

if someone goes into the army you should respect them, they are there to defend YOU.
    I never asked them to. I don't even want them to. And what are they defending me from? How many attacks on Britain have there been in my lifetime which the army has actively protected me from? Granted they do do some important peacekeeping work abroad, but I'm unsure how a soldier stationed in Afghanistan is protecting me personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    ASHAMED

You have a right to that opinion, and that's a right that countless servicemen have died fighting to protect in the past and the present.

You clearly have no knowledge about the subject, so pipe down.

I'm glad I'm not dating any of these shallow girls (who are probably single) on TSR who say ABSOLUTELY NOT to their man joining the army. My other half said that she'd be very supportive if I were to join the army.

Not everyone who joins the army does so in order to go out to Afghan and shoot ragheads. The ones that do don't last past the training. Same goes for the so called COD generation. Anybody with half a brain knows that shooting at someone IRL =/= shooting at someone in COD.

ReputationRep:
    As a pacifist, I wouldn't approve. Of course, it would be his decision but I wouldn't be particularly happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You are very much mistaken if you think being an army medic is a completely safe job.

Only three men have ever won two Victoria Crosses, two of them were army doctors.

In the operational honours list last week, two Military Crosses were awarded to medics. You only get those for bravery under fire.
    obviously they aren't completely safe, but if you compare it to say the role of an infantry officer (especially at the lower ranks) then its much more safe....

that said, just living in london/big cities isn't safe nowadays.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    You have a right to that opinion, and that's a right that countless servicemen have died fighting to protect in the past and the present.

I'm glad I'm not dating any of these shallow girls (who are probably single) on TSR who say ABSOLUTELY NOT to their man joining the army. My other half said that she'd be very supportive if I were to join the army.

Not everyone who joins the army does so in order to go out to Afghan and shoot ragheads. The ones that do don't last past the training. Same goes for the so called COD generation. Anybody with half a brain knows that shooting at someone IRL =/= shooting at someone in COD.
    Army sucks. Admit it. And please don't reply with patriotic bull**** I already know that.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohm)
    ASHAMED
    Agreed.
    Who thinks to themselves. Yay! Let's go invade countries which have done nothing to us and then when we die, let's act like we never bought it upon ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    If you think soldiers are responsible for wars then you are very very naive. Try looking a LOT deeper.
    Nobody asks soldiers to kill civilians, rape women and murder. But if it's for your country it's all legit ain't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)

When I read the bit in bold I just thought what a ****ing ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Nobody asks soldiers to kill civilians, rape women and murder. But if it's for your country it's all legit ain't it.
    No? How the **** did you get that from what you quoted me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    No? How the **** did you get that from what you quoted me?
    The brain works in mysterious ways.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if it were up to the common soldier we'd never of gone to Iraq, wouldn't be in Afghanistan and would of not gone on countless other crusades, unfortunately it isn't. A soldier can't choose which war he/she wants to fight in, so don't go blaming them, blame the government.

I'm also sure you wouldn't be calling them murderous, uneducated pawns if the time comes when we have to defend our own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    The brain works in mysterious ways.
    Or doesn't work at all in this case.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.