Turn on thread page Beta

Lost 15lbs so far but not noticing any difference! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've lost 15lbs so far (since xmas) through healthier eating/rowing, but i'm not really noticing that much of a difference. I just found out that i've gone down from a size 36 waist to a 32, but I can't see much of a difference when i'm looking in the mirror. I've just started using one of those ab belts, and i'll continue to use one of those as I lose weight. I can't get hold of any barbell weights due to cost, so the only resistance training i'm doing is through rowing.

Am I just going to end up "skinny fat" if I keep on going as i've done so far (i'm aiming for another 13lbs to take me down to 11 stone 4)? Will the ab belt work at all? Also do you think rowing is a good enough resistance training to end up fairly toned?

Thanks!

Diet:

Breakfast:
    -2 x Oatso Simple Porridge Sachets (One Original, One Syrup) with 180ml 1% fat Milk
    -Banana or Apple

Lunch:
    -Some sort of Meat. Normally Chicken, Beef or Pork
    -Rice
    -2 or 3 new potatoes

Dinner:
    -Either Spaghetti Bolognaise or more Chicken, Beef or Pork with rice/pasta

I know there's not much variation but I go to a boarding school (I don't actually board, I go home at night) so i'm just picking the healthiest stuff from the options available.

Training:
    Monday - Saturday: 1 and a half to 2 hours of Rowing Training. Generally on the water, but some days on the ergs. Always atleast 15 minutes of very intensive pieces.
    Monday - Sunday: 26 minutes on the rowing machine, just light pressure for fitness.

Also, my school is pretty big so I do a lot of walking from lessons. I know that sounds really pointless adding that, but I definitely walk atleast a mile a day.

ReputationRep:

Basically that...
    Post a before/after pic...

You may end up skinny fat but without posting up details of your diet/exercise regime we can't tell...

ReputationRep:
    i think you have to remind yourself of how you looked before. you have clearly lost alot of weight, there is no way that it isnt noticable to other people, just to you because it will have come off gradually.

remind yourself of how you can fit in smaller clothes and try to be happy about it. It sounds like you have become body dysmorphic, which can have serious implications for mental health!
    I know from personal experience that sometimes the more weight you loose the fatter you feel, but its important that you dont get trapped in that cycle!

if you focus on more weight loss before you have a better self image. You have done so well, take the time to get used to your new body

ReputationRep:
    compare a pic of yourself now to when you started, also, you should weigh yourself at the same time of the day, preferably first thing in the morning after taking a dump without eating/drinking anything, since your weight will fluctuate throughout the day, those ab tings are worthless btw.

ReputationRep:
    You are making good process and its important to note that your mind can play tricks on you when losing fat.

I also read that from 15-20% bodyfat levels you can't really see a difference.

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at pics of yourself before and after.

I was slimmer, then I put on weight and now I'm almost as slim as I was over the space of 3 years and tbh I always felt the same as I always did apart from wearing different clothes.

When I look at my slim pics and my 'now' pics I see that I've still a bit of a way to go until I've reached my goal. Your body adapts and so does your brain's perception of it.

This is why some fat people don't realise they've become v v overweight, as they know they're fatter than they should be but not really realising the extent of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    You need a before and after picture to notice it.
    It happens so gradually you probably won't be able to notice without a picture.

Take the ab thing back to the shop and get a refund, they're complete garbage and don't do anything.

Just keep going and take before and after pictures.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find that people who are close to you might not notice as much as those who don't see you for a while. I've lost almost 3 stone in the past 12 months and I can't tell either- despite the fact that I've gone down one, almost two, dress sizes! When I look at photos of myself from this time last year I can tell slightly, so maybe you should hunt out some old pics!

You see yourself in the mirror every day, so you get used to the way you look and won't notice the little changes like people who don't see you that often might. =)

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha I love how a guy has posted on here then is diagnosed as being body dysmorpic, only on TSR folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisysmith)
    i think you have to remind yourself of how you looked before. you have clearly lost alot of weight, there is no way that it isnt noticable to other people, just to you because it will have come off gradually.

remind yourself of how you can fit in smaller clothes and try to be happy about it. It sounds like you have become body dysmorphic, which can have serious implications for mental health!
    I know from personal experience that sometimes the more weight you loose the fatter you feel, but its important that you dont get trapped in that cycle!

if you focus on more weight loss before you have a better self image. You have done so well, take the time to get used to your new body
    Do you think if I continue to lose weight people will start to notice? I've always been really self-conscious, but I wouldn't quite say I was body dysmorphic :P

(Original post by Jakelee)
    You are making good process and its important to note that your mind can play tricks on you when losing fat.

I also read that from 15-20% bodyfat levels you can't really see a difference.
    Is there any way of me checking my bodyfat percentage at home? I remember when I did a fair bit of training last year weights wise I got down to 15% but I think as i've mainly been doing cardio/rowing I think it may have gone up.

(Original post by Chubbiness)
    You need a before and after picture to notice it.
    It happens so gradually you probably won't be able to notice without a picture.

Take the ab thing back to the shop and get a refund, they're complete garbage and don't do anything.

Just keep going and take before and after pictures.
    I'll start taking before and after pictures! The ab belt was my dad's from when he did loads of training a few years back so it's not any expense to myself Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I guess that people who i've not seen for a while will notice it more than me!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.