Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would you

A: Go to your prefered and better uni (better ranking,facilities, social life and nice building) AND do the course you dont mind doing but not the one your really passionate in doing.

OR

B: Go a slightly lower uni (<ranking,facilities,worser social life sad looking building) AND do the course your passionate about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myname2010)
    Would you

A: Go to your prefered and better uni (better ranking,facilities, social life and nice building) AND do the course you dont mind doing but not the one your really passionate in doing.

OR

B: Go a slightly lower uni (<ranking,facilities,worser social life sad looking building) AND do the course your passionate about.
    It Really is tricky questions tbh, cause you dont want to be stuck in city you dont like cause tbh that would affect your motivation to do the work :/

ReputationRep:
    More opinions would be appreciated. i know your out there TSR

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how different the courses are. If it's just a case of different modules but the same over all subject I would go to the preferred and better uni as module choices can always change half way through courses and such. Where as, if their completely different subjects I would go for the subject that is more likely to get you into the job where you want to be at the end of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Instantly, I'd say option A but more information would be needed because that could change things

ReputationRep:
    They are are different branches of engineering. Option A is the branch i dont have that great of a passion to do. better uni though.

ReputationRep:
    Well it would have to be option B in that case. Ultimately, you're going to uni to get a degree, putting all social aspects aside. If you're not passionate about your course, then what's the point? You could coast through, put the minimum amount of effort in and just about pass. Or the even more likely scenario, you'll get bored of the course and drop out after a while. Trust me, ive been there and done that. The course is the most important decision. Of course where you study is important too, and whether you'll feel comfortable living there. But getting the course right is the top priority; being able to pick and choose where you go is often a bit of a luxury. It sounds to me like you haven't really got that balance right, is there nowhere else you could still try and apply to that offers the same course and where you'd think you'd be a bit happier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjcw20)
    Well it would have to be option B in that case. Ultimately, you're going to uni to get a degree, putting all social aspects aside. If you're not passionate about your course, then what's the point? You could coast through, put the minimum amount of effort in and just about pass. Or the even more likely scenario, you'll get bored of the course and drop out after a while. Trust me, ive been there and done that. The course is the most important decision. Of course where you study is important too, and whether you'll feel comfortable living there. But getting the course right is the top priority; being able to pick and choose where you go is often a bit of a luxury. It sounds to me like you haven't really got that balance right, is there nowhere else you could still try and apply to that offers the same course and where you'd think you'd be a bit happier?
    Thanks for your insightful words. But no, im stuck with this choice. thanks again for your input.

(ill be keeping an eye for other people opinions)

ReputationRep:
    has anyone else been in this situation and what have they decided
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Option B.

The ranking is irrelevant and, ultimately, you should be there to learn. I also couldn't care less what the buildings look like.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh. Tricky one. I think I'd write them on a bit of paper, close my eyes and just pick one.

ReputationRep:
    Definately pick the course you're passionate about. Especially in engineering as thats the branch of it you'll be stuck with for life if you choose to do the one you don't like, and for what? A few more clubs and a pretty view?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.