Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you work the "STOP" buttons on the bus. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had to go on a bus today. I found it confusing as i've never been on one before in my life and after seeing the bus driver go past my stop I got confused. I assumed as I bought a ticket stating to where my destination was that he would stop there, but the dumb bus driver didn't....Then I heard noises like ringing noises and saw "STOP" buttons and put two and two together and realised you were supposed to ring this bell when you want to get off. I thought these buttons were buttons incase you had an accident, for example if you are in severe pain you STOP the bus immediately just like in disabled toilets where similar buttons get help for you.

Anyway after this epiphany I still was confused how to use the button. When do I actually press it? Do I press it just before the stop? Right after the next stop? Roughly in the middle between the two stops?

I don't want to do this wrong and mess up my journey again as it was embarassing today when I had to get a taxi back from the end stop of the bus home.

Please don't take the mick if this sounds naive or something, it's just i've never had to use a bus. I've always had lifts from family members to take me everywhere or failing that, paid for a taxi or got a train.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    You press them, really hope I helped! Any questions, just ask

ReputationRep:
    Simply press the stop button around 200 or so meters before you stop. That way the driver has time to react and pull over.

ReputationRep:
    Press the button just before you want to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Just before the stop you want to get off at should be sufficient, or as it's just leaving the bus stop before your destination bus stop should be fine.
    Works for me xD

ReputationRep:
    You press the button just as you're coming up to your stop.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is win.

ReputationRep:
    O M G. You don't know how to use a bus. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm with a friend, I always can't help pinching off the phrase '(name), ding the dinger.'

Then he or she does, and that's that.

ReputationRep:
    Here's how you do it: each stop has a tune assigned to it. You have to look up the tune on the internet (county council websites usually have a list) and, after the bus has gone past the stop before the one you want, you have to play the tune on the 'STOP' bell - be careful, some play in different keys, you have to know which one (there should be some notation, so make sure you know how to read music.)

Playing this tune sends a signal to the bus controls and it automatically stops. Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    I assumed as I bought a ticket stating to where my destination was that he would stop there, but the dumb bus driver didn't....
    The bus driver has far more important things to remember while driving than your stop. At rush hour, how do you expect him to remember everyone's destination on a busy bus?

ReputationRep:
    Sing this to the bus driver. It's Funner.

ReputationRep:
    You wait until the drivers burned that bit more gas then ring it and test his/her metal

ReputationRep:
    But if you press it too many times the bus driver goes proper ape.

ReputationRep:
    The answer to all your question.... is this button

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamTheKook)
    Simply press the stop button around 200 or so meters before you stop. That way the driver has time to react and pull over.
    Thank you, best reply of the thread. Others were vague about how much time to leave. I didn't weant him to ignore me or leave it to late so he thinks I am not going to stop my bus etc.

(Original post by Gemma16)
    O M G. You don't know how to use a bus. Lmao.
    Why laugh? I've never needed to in my life before. Just like anything else in life it's a skill that needs to be learnt. Just because I haven't learnt or been taught this yet doesn't mean I should get laughed at. I bet I can do things you can't that I find simple but I don't laugh at you.

I have another question: If I buy a ticket to one stop and get off at the next, do I normally have to pay more?

ReputationRep:
    Press the button somewhere between the last stop and yours. I normally wait till a minute or two before my stop.

Lol, don't worry. The first time I used the bus other people got out at my stop - I wouldn't have known otherwise. Same with trains earlier. It took me a while of watching before I cottoned on to the fact that you have to stamp the ticket in an orange box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    . I've always had lifts from family members to take me everywhere or failing that, paid for a taxi or got a train.
    Spoilt ****er.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Here's how you do it: each stop has a tune assigned to it. You have to look up the tune on the internet (county council websites usually have a list) and, after the bus has gone past the stop before the one you want, you have to play the tune on the 'STOP' bell - be careful, some play in different keys, you have to know which one (there should be some notation, so make sure you know how to read music.)

Playing this tune sends a signal to the bus controls and it automatically stops. Hope I helped.
    I lol'd +rep

ReputationRep:
    dont press it too early - driver may forget it
    dont press it too late - driver may not be able to react
    get to know where the bus stop points are, so once you get to the one before yours, you can press it soon after that

cant believe i am writing this!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.